Charleston Classic Game 1: Alabama - Northeastern (1 pm CT) - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar

Re: Charleston Classic Game 1: Alabama - Northeastern (1 pm CT)

I know this may sound "defeatist" -- but I would almost prefer the Mid-Major approach -- less elite talent, team approach, "George Mason" style -- and have a great team every 3 years..... than what we are doing now.

Sorry for being negative -- just grumpy
    Doc Holliday: [to Johnny Ringo, after shooting him in a duel] You're no daisy! You're no daisy at all. Poor soul, you were just too high strung

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

Missed this game but was shocked by the score. Iím a longtime Bama fan and I miss when were relevant like we were in the Wimp days. Iím beginning to wonder if Iíll ever see a truly great basketball team at Bama again in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Well, I can only speak for myself, but CAJ has been in T-town long enough to recruit a few solid classes, and we have some seasoned vets who should know how to bring consistent effort to the court for each game. I was hoping that we were to the point where we could assume that we will beat a team like this. Unfortunately, it seems that we are not. One game does not a season make, but this is definitely one that leaves a bad taste and makes me think in the back of my mind, "Oh no, here we go again." It's funny because I was just watching the Purdue v. App St. game and was wanting to see how Purdue was doing against them when I saw today's Bama score. I felt a bit deflated.
    I can understand this, which is why I asked for an elaboration.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    Who likes hot seat talk.....I know I don't. And I'm sure I'm one of the folks you were aiming that at. But -- geez.....this game is about progress.....and I'm not sure how much progress we are seeing. We still have no scorers.....the freshman can, but he's young. MAYBE Ingram -- but he has no touch.....so it's more bull in china shop as he drives the lane.

When Bama has been good is when we have 2-3 people who can score consistently. We just don't have that. I put that on Avery.....
    You know what I mean. There are some fans that will never be satisfied and call for a coachís job the moment things start to look bleak even though they provide zero solutions other than ďFire him! He lost to ______!!Ē

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team Tides_of_Change's Avatar

For the guy who mentioned App St and Purdue above, Purdue was in control the entire game by 20+ points in the 2nd half.

It would be pitiful for the entire front court to only score 2 points versus Duke, mich less Northeastern. One of my big wishes when Pelphrey was brought on was to develop solid big men, and that isn't happening.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team bvandegraff's Avatar

I know losing Sexton was tough, but I thought we had enough returning players that the drop-off wouldn't be that severe. Seems like we're just trying to out-athlete more fundamentally sound teams. I don't get the sense that many of the players know their roles within the offense or defense, and they lose their composure when the other team dictates tempo as Northeastern did. This looks like the Bama team that lost 5 or 6 in a row going into the SEC tournament and relied on a single transcendent player to get them to the NCAA. The pieces are there for a good team. Hope CAJ knows how to get this turned around. It is early, so let's hope they learn from this loss.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    I am glad I forgot about this one. It is going to be a long year.
    I forgot about it too until a guy mentioned it during my lunch break. Came home to set the DVR. Wish I had just enjoyed lunch.

BamaNation First Team

Disappointed but I didn't expect this year to be better than last year. We lost a quality guy to the NBA in Collin Sexton.
    Basketball is my first love, so going through these years of not having a solid basketball team at Alabama is really frustrating as a fan. I hope in the future, we can establish some sort of program that makes us a championship team.

BamaNation All-American tusks_n_raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I know this may sound "defeatist" -- but I would almost prefer the Mid-Major approach -- less elite talent, team approach, "George Mason" style -- and have a great team every 3 years..... than what we are doing now.

Sorry for being negative -- just grumpy
    I'd settle for guys looking like they are coached well and that perform because of it.

Sometimes it doesn't even look like we run actual offensive plays.... or if we do and the D makes us reset we just dribble around the perimeter before a last minute bad shot selection is forced.

We can't seem to even handle switching on defense. On Ball.....Off Ball.... doesn't matter. Guys look completely lost at times.

And sweet baby in a manger we are perennially TERRIBLE as Free Throw shooting. I know that wasn't so much an issue for this game but it's an ongoing problem.

I feel like we have a good group of young talented players and we aren't evenly remotely coaxing the best out of them.

We should have seeded higher last year and made the Sweet 16 AT LEAST with a player like Sexton.

I mean I realize we can't just keep firing coaches but if this year goes how it looks like it's going to go then CAJ is probably going to have a worse 4-year resume than CAG.

I apologize for being negative too but it's getting so frustrating. I want our Basketball Program to be at least 'Good' again. To somewhat compete for an SEC Title or Win a SEC Tourney or make a Sweet 16.

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American beatthemtigers's Avatar

I donít think we should overreact yet.. but I know some of us will. Any word on Mack?

So... does this mean the season is over? If you get blown out by a team like this how do you expect to win many SEc games?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

As negative as I'm feeling, I have to remind myself: 1) Coach Johnson seems to struggle with determining player lineups and rotations, especially early in the season; 2) Bama players need to gel and get comfortable as best point guard is new and 3) Northeastern has very experienced players with plenty of time playing together.

Turnovers were down and shot selection wasn't awful; things can change quickly once the shots start to go in. Still a little to much hesitation in getting shots off.

I'll probably watch Ball State game after recording it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    You can take some solace in the fact that Northeastern is likely going to be a tournament team, but yeah, that can't have been fun.
    Now we know how Auburnís football season must feel. You know one of us couldnít resist .