Houston’s star DT gets into it with his coach

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Oliver made a fool of himself with his pregame activities. He quit on his team and Major Applewhite ought to just kick him off the team.

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Based on the video and reporting, the only thing wrong with Applewhite is letting the guy stay on the team, he should be suspended vs leaving the decision to him. The heavy long coats are just to keep the starts warm between series. Apparently they don't have enough for the entire team, and supposedly this has always been the rule, or simply the reality of having a limited number of what looks like nice down . Oliver thinks cause he a stud rules dont matter.....He cant be bothered with going back to locker room and layering up. Oliver appears to be a cancer..

But then again, I don't typically like the whole off setting unsportsmanship penalty mindset.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
Based on the video and reporting, the only thing wrong with Applewhite is letting the guy stay on the team, he should be suspended vs leaving the decision to him. The heavy long coats are just to keep the starts warm between series. Apparently they don't have enough for the entire team, and supposedly this has always been the rule, or simply the reality of having a limited number of what looks like nice down . Oliver thinks cause he a stud rules dont matter.....He cant be bothered with going back to locker room and layering up. Oliver appears to be a cancer..

But then again, I don't typically like the whole off setting unsportsmanship penalty mindset.
Major could’ve went about differently and Ed Oliver is not a cancer, they’re 6-1 with him and barely .500 without him. That said, Ed should’ve just sat out the season. Unless you got a big time injury like Bosa, don’t come into the season saying your gonna play and then half butt it like Clowney in 2013. Cause Ed is wasting his time and the players and coaches time. Him going after Major though was a bad luck and may cost him some money down the road.

Between Bosa’s injury and Oliver’s antics, Q is definitely looking like he’s gonna be the #1 pick

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Louis Riddick's take. He states that college coaches need to understand that a lot of these kids come to college in order to play in the NFL. Which I will not argue with and he also references how hypocritical a lot of college coaches are by making millions of dollars and moving when ever they want to. But he never addresses Oliver's actions (which to me is more of an overreaction than Applewhite's) and never addresses him claiming to have a knee injury yet bouncing around like Tigger during pre game catching balls.

[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25292575[/video]

Last edited:

Wakecrash

Suspended
Sep 22, 2018
Ed Oliver is not a cancer, they’re 6-1 with him and barely .500 without him.
Him going after Major though was a bad luck and may cost him some money down the road.
But they still have him,,, just sitting out, not all in, setting an example,,, when he looked good enough moving around during pregame. Interesting choice of words bad luck vs bad decision?

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Louis Riddick's take. He states that college coaches need to understand that a lot of these kids come to college in order to play in the NFL. Which I will not argue with and he also references how hypocritical a lot of college coaches are by making millions of dollars and moving when ever they want to. But he never addresses Oliver's actions (which to me is more of an overreaction than Applewhite's) and never addresses him claiming to have a knee injury yet bouncing around like Tigger before during pre game catching balls.

[video]http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25292575[/video]
I sympathize with the players when it comes to their coaches bolting for greener pastures and leaving them high and dry. However, at the end of the day, they are the adults who are now working for a living. The players are still students. Maybe not kids, maybe not minors, but they aren't in the NFL yet. They aren't professionals yet. They don't have the rights to certain decisions yet. Some of them do have children, but most of them don't have mouths to feed back at home. What I'm getting at is a lot of these complaints sound like me as a kid wanting to know why I couldn't do what my parents were doing. Why can't I watch that movie? Why can't I have this car? I was always told when you pay the bills, you can make the decisions.

I'm reminded of the line in Thor, when he was banished from the kingdom:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Those student athletes who want to be "paid", want the benefits of being an employee (getting paid) but keep the protection of a student. You can't have both.

I sympathize with the players when it comes to their coaches bolting for greener pastures and leaving them high and dry. However, at the end of the day, they are the adults who are now working for a living. The players are still students. Maybe not kids, maybe not minors, but they aren't in the NFL yet. They aren't professionals yet. They don't have the rights to certain decisions yet. Some of them do have children, but most of them don't have mouths to feed back at home. What I'm getting at is a lot of these complaints sound like me as a kid wanting to know why I couldn't do what my parents were doing. Why can't I watch that movie? Why can't I have this car? I was always told when you pay the bills, you can make the decisions.

I'm reminded of the line in Thor, when he was banished from the kingdom:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I have not watched him play and have only heard about what happened in the recent game on sidelines. But, I just heard the injury he has is a knee injury from being "cut blocked" while playing Army. That's terrible.

I think they should do away with the triple option offense. I am always a bit nervous each game about injures, but tomorrow I will be extra concerned due to cut blocks! We need a healthy D line for Auburn, UGA, etc.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Sit down. Shut up. Don't yell like a fool at your coach - whether he's right OR wrong. Idiot. I had a few more things typed but I'll just leave it at that.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I've noticed some former players (Desmond Howard, Marcus Spears to name a couple) seem to be backing Oliver and talking about how "Oliver was right" and "stars should get special treatment" etc, etc. It's mind-boggling to me.

All I know is if Oliver were on my team, well, he wouldn't be on my team any longer.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
If you kick him off the team you can't use him to recruit and sell tickets. Guys about to be a top pick they want to be able to brag about that. They had been hyping him as a Heisman candidate earlier this year.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
All the more reason to boot him ( and take his coat back) and send a meaningful message. Society will thank them for doing so.

Raise your hand if you can visualize what might have happened to this snowflake had it been Coach Bryant he was yelling at. That’s my standard.
If you kick him off the team you can't use him to recruit and sell tickets. Guys about to be a top pick they want to be able to brag about that. They had been hyping him as a Heisman candidate earlier this year.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.