Houston’s star DT gets into it with his coach

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I’m sure some of you were watching the game. I wasn’t but I saw this while scrolling on my twitter feed. I don’t know the back story, but it appears many think he is protecting his draft status much like the OSU player did.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, Applewhite has a rule that is supposed to help players be tougher by being cold. He expects everyone, including people not staying warm by playing in the game, to stay on the sidelines without a coat on.

Oliver should have told Applewhite that he would see him in the locker room instead of confronting him, but I don't blame him for not wanting to freeze his butt of on the sideline because the head coach has control problems.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Really weird policy.

I mean on one hand 50 degrees isn't really THAT cold to have to wear a jacket..... but on the other hand it's also not cold enough to really 'toughen' somebody up to frigid conditions.

This just seems way too trivial for Applewhite to be such a stickler over..... AND too trivial for Ed Oliver to lose his mind.

Can they both be wrong here? It feels like they are both wrong.....lol

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
This was not about the rule.
Exactly. Watch the beginning of the video in Bazza's post. Oliver has a "knee injury" and isn't playing, but he's well enough to make leaping catches while clowning around during pregame? Applewhite should have sent him to the locker room before the game ever started.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's see...

Oliver declares for the NFL draft during the spring.

He doesn't play much this season because of an "injury" but some say he appears fine.

Think we can see why Applewhite was frustrated.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Exactly. Watch the beginning of the video in Bazza's post. Oliver has a "knee injury" and isn't playing, but he's well enough to make leaping catches while clowning around during pregame? Applewhite should have sent him to the locker room before the game ever started.
From that video, doesn't appear to be much wrong with his knee. If he's protecting his draft status, what does this video etc say to teams that are considering drafting him. Applewhite should probably just thank him and send him on his way. He can go rehab until the draft.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Really weird policy.

I mean on one hand 50 degrees isn't really THAT cold to have to wear a jacket..... but on the other hand it's also not cold enough to really 'toughen' somebody up to frigid conditions.

This just seems way too trivial for Applewhite to be such a stickler over..... AND too trivial for Ed Oliver to lose his mind.

Can they both be wrong here? It feels like they are both wrong.....lol
Weird or not, he's the head coach and the rule doesn't put the players in physical harm, it's not demeaning or anything like that. Both my college and HS baseball coaches had similar rules regarding pitchers or players who weren't playing that day. You still fully suited up or sat in the stands. We weren't allowed to wear team logo'd sweats or anything like that. Full uniform even though the player or players weren't going to touch the field of play all day.

Coach Saban touched on something similar with the media this week when being questioned on how he did things.
On if he is surprised when outsiders question how he manages certain situations within the program...

"I don’t really … I haven’t heard anything in terms of what I’m being challenged on. But I’m sure that I am, but I would really rather not know. Because everybody’s got the right to their opinion, whatever it is, what should or shouldn’t be done. I kind of have my opinion based on the experience through the years, and we have an opinion as a staff as to what’s best to build our team and improve our team. Just like I got asked on Monday like I should, we should not play Tua in this game. Well if we didn’t play Tua in this game we’d be sending a message to every good player that we have that they shouldn’t play in the game. So eventually why should we even play? Why not just forfeit so nobody gets hurt. Take a loss, just be done with it. Or is it an opportunity for everybody to improve and grow, and challenge themselves to get better, so we go out and execute as a team and build a little momentum through the week and the game, so maybe we play better in the next game. So that’s what I believe. So it really doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks. They have the right to work like I’ve worked for 40-some years as a coach and get a job and have their own team. And they can make any decision that they want. I tell the assistants that all the time. You want to do it that way, you get a head job and you do it that way. But right now this is the way we’re going to do it.

"So is it the fans’ question or you? That would be my question. I don’t know of any outside noise. I don’t have internet, I don’t have Twitter, I don’t read the paper. So I don’t know, you have to be more specific. So is there something specific? I should have asked that to start with but I really don’t care."

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.