Strength of Schedule

GuessJ

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 11, 2018
Hey guys,
I've been digging through the interwebs trying to find a GOOD.. UP TO DATE.. resource on the Strength of Schedule's for all the college football teams.
I'd like to get an up to date - objective based - Strength of Schedule for all the teams; Thereby illuminating the Toughest schedules all the way through the weakest schedules in FBS.
For example here is Alabama's Current FPI statistics: <-- Useful but not true SoS Rankings of FBS.

As you can see we rank 1st in everything except overall defensive efficiency which is 2nd, and Special teams 40th (kicking)

As I've pointed out in the image -- We are projected to lose one game in the regular season (Which is including SECCG,.. as it projects 12.6 Wins and 0.4 Losses) .. Thereby we have have a 36.4% Chance of losing either the Auburn or SECCG game. :rolleye2:
With that in mind - Where does Alabama fall in their Strength of schedule through week 11 in the football season and where are these rankings found (link?) ?

🙏 You guys = Awesome, Me = Grateful 🙏

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
SOS doesn’t matter much anymore since the playoffs started. But I would say Sagran or the other old BCS polls would be your best bet. Or perhaps Phil Steele’s site.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I'm not sure where you can find SOR numbers for every FBS team?

But as far as our Record projections...... maybe I'm a glass full guy.... or maybe I just like following the rules for rounding numbers in math??

But 12.6 Wins and 0.4 Losses in my world is 13-0!!!

Remember Kids: "5 or more, Let it Soar.....4 or less, Let it rest" :wink:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There are some sites that use RPI for this, and it translates very well.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Not a big fan of the "with that in mind" portion. We generally don't accept that we're going to lose a game on TF.JMO...RTR!!!
Hey guys,
I've been digging through the interwebs trying to find a GOOD.. UP TO DATE.. resource on the Strength of Schedule's for all the college football teams.
I'd like to get an up to date - objective based - Strength of Schedule for all the teams; Thereby illuminating the Toughest schedules all the way through the weakest schedules in FBS.
For example here is Alabama's Current FPI statistics: <-- Useful but not true SoS Rankings of FBS.

As you can see we rank 1st in everything except overall defensive efficiency which is 2nd, and Special teams 40th (kicking)

As I've pointed out in the image -- We are projected to lose one game in the regular season (Which is including SECCG,.. as it projects 12.6 Wins and 0.4 Losses) .. Thereby we have have a 36.4% Chance of losing either the Auburn or SECCG game. :rolleye2:
With that in mind - Where does Alabama fall in their Strength of schedule through week 11 in the football season and where are these rankings found (link?) ?

You guys = Awesome, Me = Grateful

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
That is a measure of how tough a team's remaining games are.
I think he means how can it be so low with UGA still on the schedule, although in comparison to other schools that are only playing conference games I'm sure the Citdael drags us down a lot.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
NOTE: SOS rankings are calculated using the teams' opponents winning percentage (66.7%) and the opponents' opponents winning percentage (33.3%). Wins against FCS opponents are excluded although losses are included. Records of FCS opponents are not included however teams are penalized for playing an FCS opponent.

http://myteamsbetter.com/#SOS?year=2018&conference=-1

This one has Bama #31 and LSU #7. Sagarin has Bama #37 and LSU #3

Not sure which one is best but I like description at the top of this page for MyTeamIsBetter.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sagarin has been the most consistently accurate over the years, imo. For the first half of the season it can be a bit wonky as there isn't enough data for an accurate reading, but by this point it's usually really, really close. And the point differential prediction are often close as well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wow, top five in both offensive and defensive S&P+ - no one else is even close.
If you do some reading into their system I think that you might come to appreciate this type of data analysis. It takes into account just about everything, including quality of opponents and garbage time discrepancies.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In terms of SoS, keep in mind that Alabama has Auburn and Georgia upcoming. To give some context for current rankings on Sagarin for example, Alabama was around 60 and then they played LSU and Miss. State. Now it is 37, so you can go ahead and pencil in another large jump.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Sagarin has been the most consistently accurate over the years, imo. For the first half of the season it can be a bit wonky as there isn't enough data for an accurate reading, but by this point it's usually really, really close. And the point differential prediction are often close as well.
Exactly -- and after 2/3 of the season it is very accurate. So much so, one can reliably use it for betting and almost every week do reasonably well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.