Game Thread: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD - Bama vs. The Citadel...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Rashad said that it was Thompson on the first TD and Anderson on the second. He is part of the staff and those issues are "assignment" type errors. He said DT and KA made the wrong play. IDK, I didn't see it and wouldn't trust my judgment anyway vs RJ, especially since he was specific and certain and would be likely to know what the assignments were. It could be that SS was the next closest to the action, thus creating the impression that it was his assignment. I'm always leary of assigning blame because fans frequently don't know who is responsible for a particular assignment no matter how things look. That includes both blocking and coverage.
Not exactly.

And as Saban explained, each of those touchdown runs were the result of Alabama junior cornerback Saivion Smith failing to cover the late pitch-out option.

“On the two big plays that we gave up, everybody’s got to fit their responsibilities on the option,” Saban said, “and two times we had a guy (Saivion Smith) not take the pitch when he was supposed to take the pitch, and it resulted in two 40-plus yard runs. But other than that, I thought our guys executed fairly well.”

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Outside of the higher risks of injury. This game is probably the best thing that could have happened to them and I don't think playing a team that ran a more contemporary offense would have given them this much of a challenge. It definitely gives CNS some coaching material for the week. We may beat Auburn by 40 because of this.
Only 40? What an Eeyore...;)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not exactly.

And as Saban explained, each of those touchdown runs were the result of Alabama junior cornerback Saivion Smith failing to cover the late pitch-out option.

“On the two big plays that we gave up, everybody’s got to fit their responsibilities on the option,” Saban said, “and two times we had a guy (Saivion Smith) not take the pitch when he was supposed to take the pitch, and it resulted in two 40-plus yard runs. But other than that, I thought our guys executed fairly well.”
The guy responsible for taking the pitch man is not the DB in man coverage. He was on his man both times. He failed to shed blocks and make downfield tackles, but he did not have primary responsibility for the pitch man on either play.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
The guy responsible for taking the pitch man is not the DB in man coverage. He was on his man both times. He failed to shed blocks and make downfield tackles, but he did not have primary responsibility for the pitch man on either play.
Now, I get it. I was initially confused by the previous statement.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Did not hear that. Turf toe is a weird one. You can play with it if you "shoot up", but you can also turn it into a chronic problem by doing so.
I know some former college/NFL players who've told me it's basically incurable. It can get better with various treatments, but, in the end, you have it the rest of your life, with some degree of symptoms...

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I know it was just the Citadel, but Tua sans brace seemed to be Tua again. Running, moving around looked much better, lowering his head, making plays. It’s time for him to go get The Heisman, and bury Auburn and Georgia in the process.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Now, I get it. I was initially confused by the previous statement.
I watched the game again and Smith did not have a receiver on his side of the field for the first TD run, so it appears that he might have been responsible there. I am not sure as a LB should have been involved and it looks like Wilson allowed himself to get caught up in the wash on that play, too. But Smith had an easy play on the pitch man if he trusts his team mates to force the QB to pitch it. He stayed inside too long and left the sideline wide open for the pitch man.

On the second one, he was 10 yards down field being blocked by a wide receiver.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I watched the game again and Smith did not have a receiver on his side of the field for the first TD run, so it appears that he might have been responsible there. I am not sure as a LB should have been involved and it looks like Wilson allowed himself to get caught up in the wash on that play, too. But Smith had an easy play on the pitch man if he trusts his team mates to force the QB to pitch it. He stayed inside too long and left the sideline wide open for the pitch man.

A little earlier in the game, prior to giving up the first TD, Smith came in between the pitch man and QB and tackled the QB along with another Bama player. I told my wife at the moment that Smith made a mistake but probably felt he did the right thing and that it would come back to haunt us since he got away with it on that one. I think he was directly between the QB and pitch man so the QB could not make the pitch on that one.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I listened to the Alabama broadcast and my comments were based on what Bama's sideline reporter Rashad Johnson said. He stated with certainty that the first TD was Thompson's missed assignment and the second was Anderson's. RJ is currently on Nick Saban's staff. He was a first team A-A safety in 2008 drafted in the 3rd rd by Arizona and played there for 7 years. You would think he would know what the assignments were.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I listened to the Alabama broadcast and my comments were based on what Bama's sideline reporter Rashad Johnson said. He stated with certainty that the first TD was Thompson's missed assignment and the second was Anderson's. RJ is currently on Nick Saban's staff. He was a first team A-A safety in 2008 drafted in the 3rd rd by Arizona and played there for 7 years. You would think he would know what the assignments were.
Not saying Rashad is wrong because like you mentioned him being on staff would mean he should know the assignments, but DT would have had to really mess up on the first run to be at fault.

I can see Keaton being at fault for the second one, though.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Not saying Rashad is wrong because like you mentioned him being on staff would mean he should know the assignments, but DT would have had to really mess up on the first run to be at fault.

Yep. Keaton ran around his block instead of fighting across the face of the blocker and got caught inside so he had no chance to make the play. I think Savion was definitely guilty on the first one and he could have made a play on the second one.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

You may very well be right. I'm part of the typical 90+% of fans who don't really know what's going on in terms of assignments. I know it's easy to be mislead if you don't know precisely what assignments are in particular coverage. I would not die on a hill defending RJ and think you have actual football coaching/playing experience to which I gladly defer. I just wanted to make RJ's expert and definitive commentary known as I did earlier in this long thread.

On a related note, RJ said during the broadcast that Savion had played a very good game (this was not in defense of an accusation nor did he throw many bouquets but seemed genuinely impressed). I know that may lower his standing among many :smile: but I trust his judgment more than a layman like myself.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.