Alabama's Strength of Schedule

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
Saban FINALLY told the truth about the scheduling of The Citadel two years ago. NO one would take the game we needed to fill. Our AD literally called every Power 5 school and drew a goose egg. I cannot remember if it was the Michigan St. game or GT but I’m thinking GT that pulled out really late that caused this. CNS said once again his opinion is to play a 9th conference game but all the media ignore that and bash Bama for a cupcake game.

#LazyIsEasy
The main problem in getting someone to play is the time of year. Most every Power 5 school and most every Group of 5 school was playing conference games this weekend. The SEC - for some reason - only scheduled 3 in conference games this weekend. The 8 other SEC teams had an open week to try and fill with very few options. The SEC could fix this problem by scheduling conference games for every team in November and not having any open type weeks. There would be exception for the last week of games such as Ga vs Ga Tech, UK vs Lousiville, So Car vs Clemson, and Fla vs FSU.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The main problem in getting someone to play is the time of year. Most every Power 5 school and most every Group of 5 school was playing conference games this weekend. The SEC - for some reason - only scheduled 3 in conference games this weekend. The 8 other SEC teams had an open week to try and fill with very few options. The SEC could fix this problem by scheduling conference games for every team in November and not having any open type weeks. There would be exception for the last week of games such as Ga vs Ga Tech, UK vs Lousiville, So Car vs Clemson, and Fla vs FSU.
There are 116 FBS teams outside of the SEC. One hundred of them were playing mandated conference games. The four East teams you reference always request an open date prior to their in-state rival game(s).

The best solution would be to go to nine conference games and the week be used for those games.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Saban FINALLY told the truth about the scheduling of The Citadel two years ago. NO one would take the game we needed to fill. Our AD literally called every Power 5 school and drew a goose egg. I cannot remember if it was the Michigan St. game or GT but I’m thinking GT that pulled out really late that caused this. CNS said once again his opinion is to play a 9th conference game but all the media ignore that and bash Bama for a cupcake game.

#LazyIsEasy
The dissolvement of the 2013-14 GT series and the 2016-17 Michigan State series had nothing to do with this weekend's game. Those led to Bama opening the season in the Kickoff games in those years.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Hey ALA2262,

Thx for the info. I remembered that you had a very thorough answer about this when the Citadel was announced.

For Bama to schedule a FBS team on the next to last weekend of the season is virtually impossible. In 2015, for example, 90 of the remaining 113 (127-14SEC) FBS teams were playing conference games that weekend. Four of the remaining 23 were P5/IND playing conference mandated (BC at ND) or OOC (Rutgers at Army). Four of the remaining 19 were P5 that were either off (UT, TT, Neb) or playing OOC (FSU). None of which would come to Bama on that weekend even if given a return game. That leaves 15 non P5/IND FBS teams and apparently the ADs of those 15 have at least half a brain because Bama is the LAST place you want your team on that weekend needing two wins to become Bowl eligible.

I do know for a fact that the AD did try to schedule an FBS opp. but like you said it's virtually impossible. I'd love the 9th SEC game and CNS has advocated it for years. I wish when the media bashed the Bama schedule that they would at least point that out. Funny how EVERYTHING CNS says is front page and lead story except that and player safety which he ALWAYS been a SUPER ADVOCATE for.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.