Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Only because we paid the schedule ranker formula geeks to buff it in prep for the playoff. ;)
Someone actually said to me today that the SEC schedules bad out of conference games on purpose to inflate their own rankings and in turn artificially inflate their SOS LOL. Like...... they make their schedule worse in order to inflate their strength of sched???..... riiiiiiight.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Someone actually said to me today that the SEC schedules bad out of conference games on purpose to inflate their own rankings and in turn artificially inflate their SOS LOL. Like...... they make their schedule worse in order to inflate their strength of sched???..... riiiiiiight.
A good conspiracy knows no bounds.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Right now. November 17, 2018. Alabama has the number 4 schedule in the country. Feel free to shove that stat in anyone and everyones face for the rest of the year. Good day.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

1) I don't buy this ranking for even one second. Sagarin, a well-respected service, had us at 37 before yesterday. I think that's probably more accurate.

2) Strength of schedule arguments are - for the most part - inherently specious anyway.

The catch is this: you don't even get to an SoS argument unless you're trying to compare either one loss/no loss teams (UCF/Michigan, for example) or one loss/one loss teams. Once you get past one loss - in CFB anyway - SoS arguments fall by the wayside. Many years the team that plays the toughest SoS has 4-5 losses. It's really amazing - you NEVER hear about "the strength of schedule" of a FIVE-LOSS team. You only hear about it when it concerns a team that's taking care of business.

3) People objecting to Alabama's schedule don't REALLY care about Alabama's schedule - they care about dissing Alabama.

This is one of those variants of "don't bother me with the facts, my mind is made up."

Right now I'm reading Daniel Petrocelli's book on the OJ Simpson civil trial. They hired a group (Decision Quest) to serve as jury consultants in order to find a jury more likely to render the "guilty" verdict. But in their screening an amazing thing happened: people predisposed to believe Simpson invented some of the most ridiculous things you ever heard of. Let's face it: the scientific evidence shows beyond question that he killed his ex-wife and Ron Goldman. That's the scientific fact. But a number of jurors were asked about the Bruno Magli shoes and a number of other things - would that lead them to a guilty conclusion - and responses were things like, "No, because someone else COULD have stolen his shoes and committed the murders."

And that's what you have here with this argument: people who are predisposed to despise Alabama use this shadow argument to make their case because it's easy. It's not much different than disproving a negative (except we actually play good teams in the playoffs).

The way I have begun to handle this is to cut to the chase and say, "OK, if you're crediting Alabama's success to a soft schedule then if they play good teams they will lose. So - name the teams you would bet your mortgage on beating Alabama." If they say Clemson (46 SoS entering yesterday), I make the point Clemson's SoS is lower - and that the two teams will actually play. Michigan's is 36, basically the same as us. And Notre Dame's is 49. In fact, among the top ten, only Penn State ranks higher than 31st in SoS, and they have THREE losses.

And guess what? The next objections are as follows:
a) Alabama refuses to play road games
b) Alabama refuses to play road games outside the South
c) the SEC only plays eight conference games

============================

The reason the SoS fools people is because sometimes it IS a valid objection. Sagarin actually had UCF ranked 23rd in the country yesterday with the 106th ranked schedule. The objections to UCF ARE valid because they've literally played nobody at all. Their entire case is based upon "but we beat Auburn last year who beat Alabama and Georgia last year."

The bizarre part is that they MAY have actually cost themselves in the public arena. Their utter arrogance in claiming a national title has turned people against them who would have liked them and rooted for the underdog otherwise. THEY have cost themselves with their big mouths - and it will ultimately bite them when (as is inevitable) they lose their next game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Keep in mind that Sagarin only includes games already plays in their SoS metric. Some include games not yet played. When Alabama includes Auburn and GA, the SoS is significantly higher.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Saban FINALLY told the truth about the scheduling of The Citadel two years ago. NO one would take the game we needed to fill. Our AD literally called every Power 5 school and drew a goose egg. I cannot remember if it was the Michigan St. game or GT but I’m thinking GT that pulled out really late that caused this. CNS said once again his opinion is to play a 9th conference game but all the media ignore that and bash Bama for a cupcake game.

#LazyIsEasy

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Saban FINALLY told the truth about the scheduling of The Citadel two years ago. NO one would take the game we needed to fill. Our AD literally called every Power 5 school and drew a goose egg. I cannot remember if it was the Michigan St. game or GT but I’m thinking GT that pulled out really late that caused this. CNS said once again his opinion is to play a 9th conference game but all the media ignore that and bash Bama for a cupcake game.

#LazyIsEasy
Looks like we are trying but having trouble filling that slot. Would be nice to start the season a weekend earlier and have a second bye week before the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Hilarious [emoji23] how ESPN is now doing top teams rankings based on strength of schedule so they can move Alabama down. ANYTHING to get the No. 1 away from Bama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So wait....it's now an ESPN conspiracy AGAINST Alabama?

(I can't even follow this stuff anymore, it's like two Oliver Stone movies at the same time).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.