They Have To Do Something About This Targeting Rule

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Re: They Have To Something About This Targeting Rule

Yeah, it was upheld and it was a stupid call.
I've seen too many that should not have been upheld yet they were. It will be interesting to see what the rule will be next season. I think there has been so much controversy this year that some tweaking will be done.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Until a Michigan or a Notre Dame have a controversial call involving it, it won’t happen.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Well, Tebow isn't really that bright. Great athlete. Maybe that is why.

kidding, kinda
I've seen a lot of players say that though, but I'd take a bad knee over brain damage. I guess it's just that the you can impair your ability to play much more easily with a blow to the knee.

Anyway, I'm in the group of people that think there should be two targeting calls. One that is an ejection and one that is just the yards. It won't "fix" the issue entirely, but it will help keep people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time from getting kicked out of the game.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL

In the UT game if the player keeps his head up to see what he is tackling then No targeting, he lowered the head which is poor technique.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I was flipping through 4 games last night but there was a call for targeting for a defender slapping the helmet of the receiver with his hand. Can't remember which game--maybe Clemson/Duke? UCF/Cinn? It was thankfully overturned as it was the most ridiculous I have ever seen. Zero contact with helmet to helmet. Literally hand to helmet. {facepalm}

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I was flipping through 4 games last night but there was a call for targeting for a defender slapping the helmet of the receiver with his hand. Can't remember which game--maybe Clemson/Duke? UCF/Cinn? It was thankfully overturned as it was the most ridiculous I have ever seen. Zero contact with helmet to helmet. Literally hand to helmet. {facepalm}
I saw that play - clearly not targeting but he did more than slap the receivers helmet. He hit him so hard in the side of the helmet that his head snapped to the side and he dropped the pass. That should not be legal - ever. He had no chance to hit him anywhere else because of his momentum, so he hit him as hard as he could in the side of the helmet.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
I saw that play - clearly not targeting but he did more than slap the receivers helmet. He hit him so hard in the side of the helmet that his head snapped to the side and he dropped the pass. That should not be legal - ever. He had no chance to hit him anywhere else because of his momentum, so he hit him as hard as he could in the side of the helmet.
I agree the head should be off limits to any kind of contact. It just didn't look that bad on TV to me and clearly the crowd in the stadium agreed. What happened to Damien in our game was much worse with the player landing on his head after shoving it into the ground.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I agree that a move like that should be illegal which is why I agree with Krazy that there should be two levels this this penalty and something like this a fifteen yarder but no ejection.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree the head should be off limits to any kind of contact. It just didn't look that bad on TV to me and clearly the crowd in the stadium agreed. What happened to Damien in our game was much worse with the player landing on his head after shoving it into the ground.
Of course the crowd agreed - their player was the one flagged. :rolleye2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And they knew it wasn't targeting. Could the refs have called a personal foul? Is there anything that exists currently for forcefully slapping a player with your hand in the helmet (head)?
Totally agree that it wasn't targeting. Yes - touch a QB's head and you get a flag. And the officials have the authority to call anything a personal foul. It is totally at their discretion.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If they ever change Targeting, they could kick em out of the game, Plus no play in the next game. OR Kick em out of the game, and penalize em by no play in the next half, OR
Just kick em out of the game. No further penalties.
3 different degrees... From major to minor.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Just get rid of it. I understand player safety but it’s taking away from the game of football. Whatever happened to “unnecessary roughness “?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just get rid of it. I understand player safety but it’s taking away from the game of football. Whatever happened to “unnecessary roughness “?
The GAME of football cannot be placed ahead of player safety - ever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Please don't confuse medicine and science.

Believe me, your family doctor isn't a scientist!
The science that I referred to is in the study of the effects of the hits to the head on the brain.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Now, Big, we could say that players can protect themselves by not playing the game, couldn't we? If they are afraid of injury or the long term affects of playing a rough sport, they can simply choose not to play, can't they? If, however, they choose to play a rough sport, then why should that rough sport be changed? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about getting rid of guys who are head hunters. There is no need to knock another player's head off in the game. However, football is a contact sport where contact will happen. Defensive players may be able to use perfect form on a tackling dummy that doesn't move, but these offensive players are fast and elusive. It is hard to hit a moving target with perfect form all of the time. I think a lot of us have issue with targeting because it only penalizes the defense. Offensive players can lower their heads to block and run with the ball, and nothing is ever called on that. There is nothing fair about the rule in any shape or form. People on my side of the argument get blasted by those who say "player safety is the main concern." I don't want any guys getting injured, but I know there are going to be injuries in football, just like in life. I hurt my back a bit playing golf the other day. I have a choice to play golf again, but I know my back may get injured. Football players have a choice to play or not play, but they should know there is a chance of injury, both now and later. I know you guys who like to mention "player safety" will come back with the argument that the game won't be around in 20 years if they don't change some rules. I get it. However, the game of football won't be around in five years if they keep changing it to the point that it isn't really football any more.

I am just mentioning my points. I'm not trying to start any arguments. This is simply how I feel about the situation because I will hate to see the game taken away from people who love to play it and watch it. Roll Tide to all no matter what side of the argument you happen to favor.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am just mentioning my points. I'm not trying to start any arguments. This is simply how I feel about the situation because I will hate to see the game taken away from people who love to play it and watch it. Roll Tide to all no matter what side of the argument you happen to favor.
Here's the thing - if we are going to save player's lives, we are going to have to do so by eliminating the risk, because young people have proven that they will take any risk for glory and money. You may feel better believing that this amounts to personal choice, but it is a choice made by people unable to properly evaluate consequences. So, is it really personal choice, or is it youthful ignorance being exploited for money?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Either way, just like way back when Roosevelt was president - unless the game changes it is going away.

Lawsuits and law makers will make sure of that without a doubt.

So football that's slightly different or no football are the only viable choices.

Nostalgia will not save the sport from extinction.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.