Ole Miss vs Vandy game last night: When is a TD a real TD?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I just happened to turn the TV on late last night as see the end of the Ole Miss at Vandy game. In OT, Vandy scored, then Ole Miss
had the ball. On 3rd down the Ole Miss QB threw what I think was a TD. It was called a TD by the Official, but a REVIEW overturned
the TD.

If this had happened to Alabama, I would be really, really, really IRRITATED.

Did anyone see it? What do you think?

The guy, wr Brown (I think), caught the ball and had fallen on his butt with possession. Apparently, the review said that he did NOT
have full possession of the ball. I think that is ridiculous. Now, it's good to see Vandy win, BUT this was a HORRIBlE call by whoever
reviewed the play in B'ham.

I think this was a BAD call by whoever REVIEWED the play!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I just happened to turn the TV on late last night as see the end of the Ole Miss at Vandy game. In OT, Vandy scored, then Ole Miss
had the ball. On 3rd down the Ole Miss QB threw what I think was a TD. It was called a TD by the Official, but a REVIEW overturned
the TD.

If this had happened to Alabama, I would be really, really, really IRRITATED.

Did anyone see it? What do you think?

The guy, wr Brown (I think), caught the ball and had fallen on his butt with possession. Apparently, the review said that he did NOT
have full possession of the ball. I think that is ridiculous. Now, it's good to see Vandy win, BUT this was a HORRIBlE call by whoever
reviewed the play in B'ham.

I think this was a BAD call by whoever REVIEWED the play!
The talking heads on the four-letter sports network read the rule out of the rule book and it states (paraphrasing) that, if the receiver goes to the ground, he has to maintain complete control entirely through the process. The Ole Miss player held the ball in one hand to keep it away from the Vandy DB, and at a certain point, the Vandy player knocked the ball out of his hand.
Gene Chizik and Doering said, (again paraphrasing), "control of the ball, two feet in the end zone=good catch."
I do not disagree.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
The folks in Birmingham know that Ole Miss can't go bowling and that Vanderbilt possibly can. As it stands now, the Vandy/UT winner will be bowl eligible. Had Vandy lost, and then beaten UT, the result would be one less bowl team for the conference. Good call from the conference office on that one! After all, it is all about the money.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
They went over this play in detail on SEC Now this morning. According to the rule, it was the right call.

Now, like OL being allowed 3 yards downfield, I think it's a bad rule. But it is the rule.

Also, keep in mind, the zebras don't make they rules; they just enforce them. Coaches actually make the rules, with final say-so from presidents, who would presumably take their counsel from ADs and other administrators.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Looked like a good catch to me. Based on the letter of the rule, I guess it was incomplete.

And it's got all the conspiracy nuts up in arms, so bonus!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Good call. TERRIBLE rule! If the Vandy player had taken the ball away WHILE they were down, it would have been an INT. :rolleyes: See 2011 Bama-LSU.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Well.......I think he actually DID maintain possession ALL the way to the ground.

Even though he had the ball in only one hand......he still had it!

The refs got it totally wrong....they didn't even abide by their own rule book!

Also, and not being discussed.......Vandy guilty of PI on the very next play - as pointed out in this video....QB threw to Lodge BECAUSE he knew there would be a flag. Only problem is...the refs held their flags.....and gave Vandy the win.

Shame shame shame......

You can see both plays here:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Well.......I think he actually DID maintain possession ALL the way to the ground.

Even though he had the ball in only one hand......he still had it!

The refs got it totally wrong....they didn't even abide by their own rule book!

Also, and not being discussed.......Vandy guilty of PI on the very next play - as pointed out in this video....QB threw to Lodge BECAUSE he knew there would be a flag. Only problem is...the refs held their flags.....and gave Vandy the win.

Shame shame shame......

You can see both plays here:

I believe "entirely through the process" means getting up with the ball, handing the ball to the official, going to the bathroom, and watching the extra point

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
He had three feet down plus his butt. How is that not a catch? In the field of play it is a catch and down by contact of his butt on the ground. Horrible call even with the current role.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
The commissioner of the SEC backed the referee decision this morning. Said the ground helped him keep possession. Not saying I agree, just stating that he made a statement.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They changed this rule in the NFL this year. Time for college football to follow suit.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
The ground helped him keep possession? I mean..........REALLY? That's their logic?
He caught the ball in the endzone. The rule does not say possession has to be kept with TWO hands and he clearly had possession of the ball in his hand whne he hit the ground and then the defense pulled it way.
This is just one more call to prove that there needs to be an independent panel somewhere to review this stuff and levy fines against both on field officials and replay officials for making such critical errors.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I would say the play would have stood if the Vandy DB didn't take it from him. I know that's pretty simple, but seems like that played the main role in even getting the play reviewed.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
As per the rule, it’s not a catch. As soon as he hits the ground and reaches his hand back, the ball starts to move. Tough break, but the right call nonetheless.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
I just flip it the other way and see how I would react if we were the defensive team. And I know that I would argue that he didn't maintain possession all the way through. If Alabama were the defensive team, I would have argued that it was not a catch.

And if we were the offensive team, I'd want the call to go my way; but my gut would say that he didn't keep possession.

So I go with that. He did not maintain possession.

And Ole Miss can cry all they want. LOLOLOL!

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
He bobbled the ball before the defensive player reached in. But he did catch it and had possession going down. How long must one hold the ball, before it's a touchdown. I've seen players catch a touchdown pass, then immediately throw it in less time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.