Julio Jones Career Perspective

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
After that 3rd offensive td, it seemed as though Atlanta just wanted to get out of there with the trophy instead of just keep throwing haymakers. They lost their edge at 8:31 in the 3rd quarter. Brady scoring multiple tds was a given, but the pats defense holding the Falcons offense out of the endzone for 21 1/2 minutes wasn't.
Sorry, my memory does not align with this so I went and looked at the play by play and the Falcons stayed VERY aggressive offensively. Problem - several key sacks, including the one that started the Pats comeback (Hightower), and their aggressive play call used no time on the clock. Much like the Alabama/Clemson game, if the Falcons had run the ball a little more they might have actually won because they would not have had the sack/fumble and they would have used more clock.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
I'm still not sure how that happened. Football is a strange thing at times.
I know it is off topic, in my eyes it looked the same as the year we lost to Clemson. Defense went into a prevent/keep all in front of you mode slightly premature, and the offense continued to throw the ball.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sorry, my memory does not align with this so I went and looked at the play by play and the Falcons stayed VERY aggressive offensively. Problem - several key sacks, including the one that started the Pats comeback (Hightower), and their aggressive play call used no time on the clock. Much like the Alabama/Clemson game, if the Falcons had run the ball a little more they might have actually won because they would not have had the sack/fumble and they would have used more clock.
Yeah Ryan took some bad sacks, but from what I remember is they called a lot of safe throws instead of stretching the field like they did in the first half. There was a bigger Julio presence in the 1st half than there was in the 2nd half. I'm not arguing the run to pass part, I'm arguing that it seemed they tried to dink and dunk more than take shots. The goal of the game was always to stay 2 scores ahead of Brady, but in crunch time Bill Belichick is not going to let someone dink and dunk on him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah Ryan took some bad sacks, but from what I remember is they called a lot of safe throws instead of stretching the field like they did in the first half. There was a bigger Julio presence in the 1st half than there was in the 2nd half. I'm not arguing the run to pass part, I'm arguing that it seemed they tried to dink and dunk more than take shots. The goal of the game was always to stay 2 scores ahead of Brady, but in crunch time Bill Belichick is not going to let someone dink and dunk on him.
I don't remember that level of detail, so you could be right.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
UPDATE: after todays game Julio is now 45th all time in receiving yards and is still leading the NFL by over 100 yards with 6 catches for 116 and 1 TD today.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
your welcome :biggrin2:

But fwiw, you posted the part that "Lets get this straight- No one will ever break Jerry Rice's receiving record (22,895 yards absolutely insane)." I just disputed it.
*you're

you disputed it incorrectly, as i pointed out before. If you did not believe the facts that you were "disputing" with baseless conjecture, try this.

Jerry Rice averaged 1144 yards a season over 20 seasons (including a season where he started 1 game and caught for 78 yards). Terrell owens caught for over 1144 yards 6 times in 15 seasons. he only topped 1400 twice.

Julio has topped 1400 4 straight years and will, barring injury, do it again this year. Julio only played 5 games in 2013 where he caught 580 yards (116/game). Thats a higher average than any year TO ever played and is more yards than TO's worst 16 game season. Julios lowest yard per game average in a year by far (73.8 ypg, 959 yds in 13 games his rookie year 2011) was better than TO's career average (72.8) and would tie for his 7th best season (2011). Julios rookie year would rank better than 5 of TO's years ('96, 97, 99, 05 and 09) in total yards. Julios career yards per catch average is better than 8 of TO's seasons. His 3 best yard per catch years would rank first, second, and fourth for TO. Julios best season was 36 catches and 420 yards (29%!!!!) better than TO's best season. Julio is better in every statistical category than TO to this point in his career (except TD's) and he did it while being a better teammate and leader. Even then Julio will never come close to Rice in receiving yards.

Julio Jones is better than TO ever was from a production/consistency standpoint right now and TO was never in Jerry Rice's area code.

Woulda, Coulda, Shouldas be darned.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Geez. It’s almost like a tide fans slap fight

BTW. I didn’t think playoff stats went into career totals. Early on there was the impression given that they did.

From first post in thread

“ Julio would have to avg 12 games a year and 75 yards a game with zero playoff stats to pass where Larry Fitzgerald is right now by that same age. Julio has a legitimate chance to end his career as the 2nd leading receiver of all time. “

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Julio can catch Jerry Rice, but he will need to stop playing as physical a game to do so. He is always beat up because of his style of play. As he continues to age, that will cost him more and more games.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Geez. It’s almost like a tide fans slap fight

Lol. Are you fishing for likes? ;)

I think it’s funny the OP claims “it’s not worth his time” and that I “ hijacked his thread” but yet he waits until about 1 in the morning to post a long response to the argument “that wasn’t worth his time”.

I guess folks just don’t like differences of opinion, but have all the time in the world to try to sneak a “you suck at grammar in the auto correct age” response in the wee hours of the morning at you.

Last edited:

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Lol. Are you fishing for likes? ;)

I think it’s funny the OP claims “it’s not worth his time” and that I “ hijacked his thread” but yet he waits until about 1 in the morning to post a long response to the argument “that wasn’t worth his time”.

I guess folks just don’t like differences of opinion, but have all the time in the world to try to sneak a “you suck at grammar in the auto correct age” response in the wee hours of the morning at you.
my girlfriend fell asleep and i got bored so i dug up a bunch of stats.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Julio can catch Jerry Rice, but he will need to stop playing as physical a game to do so. He is always beat up because of his style of play. As he continues to age, that will cost him more and more games.
I'm not saying no one else is good. The whole point is that the record is ridiculous. you'd have to be a top 10 receiver in the nfl for 20 years to break it. the game gets bigger stronger and faster every day and 40 year olds just arent gonna catch for 1000 yards. the point i was making isnt that other people havent or couldnt out pace him, because julio is doing that in yards at least. so did calvin johnson. its that no one is ever gonna do it for that long again. it would be like if kareem avg'd 28 points a game every year of his entire career and he was 7 seasons a head of second place.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not saying no one else is good. The whole point is that the record is ridiculous. you'd have to be a top 10 receiver in the nfl for 20 years to break it. the game gets bigger stronger and faster every day and 40 year olds just arent gonna catch for 1000 yards. the point i was making isnt that other people havent or couldnt out pace him, because julio is doing that in yards at least. so did calvin johnson. its that no one is ever gonna do it for that long again. it would be like if kareem avg'd 28 points a game every year of his entire career and he was 7 seasons a head of second place.
Maybe, but changes in the game make it likely that this record will fall eventually. The rules protect QBs, WRs and the offense in general today in a way unprecedented in the sport's history. So, not only is it possible for WRs to play longer, but the average WRs are getting more catches and gaining more yards every year than great receivers did in the 80s. You don't have to be a top 10 receiver to average 1000 yards per season any more. 15 WRs had over 1000 yards last year in the regular season alone. That is only going to grow.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.