Julio Jones Career Perspective

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm not saying no one else is good. The whole point is that the record is ridiculous. you'd have to be a top 10 receiver in the nfl for 20 years to break it. the game gets bigger stronger and faster every day and 40 year olds just arent gonna catch for 1000 yards. the point i was making isnt that other people havent or couldnt out pace him, because julio is doing that in yards at least. so did calvin johnson. its that no one is ever gonna do it for that long again. it would be like if kareem avg'd 28 points a game every year of his entire career and he was 7 seasons a head of second place.
But the problem is that saying “never” in an age of advanced medicine. I mean who would’ve guessed Tom Brady would be still beating Father Time in his 40’s. While this year has been a drop, he is still better at his age than Farve and Manning.

The point is the record was set so it is possible to break. But it requires luck as much as skill. Again Rice had the benefit of elite QBs like Montana and Young for about 80% of his career. If you put alpha receivers like AB, TO, Julio, or Calvin Johnson in that scenario then it’s likely they are putting up the same numbers. So it IS possible, but not probable until a reciever gets that kinda situation again or just defies Father Time. I think the Steelers trade AB once Ben retires or his contract comes up again so that could shake up things, Julio is probably too physical to break it. But those are the best shots now.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Maybe, but changes in the game make it likely that this record will fall eventually. The rules protect QBs, WRs and the offense in general today in a way unprecedented in the sport's history. So, not only is it possible for WRs to play longer, but the average WRs are getting more catches and gaining more yards every year than great receivers did in the 80s. You don't have to be a top 10 receiver to average 1000 yards per season any more. 15 WRs had over 1000 yards last year in the regular season alone. That is only going to grow.
Think about how great Deandre Hopkins is right now, and how great larry fitzgerald has been his entire career. Now, add deandre hopkins entire career to larry fitzgerald's entire career, and they still dont break Jerry Rice's touchdown or yards records.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Think about how great Deandre Hopkins is right now, and how great larry fitzgerald has been his entire career. Now, add deandre hopkins entire career to larry fitzgerald's entire career, and they still dont break Jerry Rice's touchdown or yards records.
I guess that we just disagree. Not a problem.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I guess that we just disagree. Not a problem.
If anyone is gonna do it, its gonna be AB or Julio judging by their paces. Larry Fitzgerald is the 2nd leading receiver of all time and he's a multi pro bowl career away, limping to retirement right now. anything is possible i suppose.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The record will be broken. Whether its Julio or someone else.

But I agree that Julio is going to have to adjust his style of play. There is a reason RBs average NFL lifespan is so low. Julio plays WR almost like he's a RB who doesn't shy away from contact.

Also, I want to like the Falcons so bad. They are somewhat local and all that. They've got Julio and Calvin. But they just cannot close the deal. Ever.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
The record will be broken. Whether its Julio or someone else.

But I agree that Julio is going to have to adjust his style of play. There is a reason RBs average NFL lifespan is so low. Julio plays WR almost like he's a RB who doesn't shy away from contact.

Also, I want to like the Falcons so bad. They are somewhat local and all that. They've got Julio and Calvin. But they just cannot close the deal. Ever.
Atlanta sports.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
But the problem is that saying “never” in an age of advanced medicine. I mean who would’ve guessed Tom Brady would be still beating Father Time in his 40’s. While this year has been a drop, he is still better at his age than Farve and Manning.

The point is the record was set so it is possible to break. But it requires luck as much as skill. Again Rice had the benefit of elite QBs like Montana and Young for about 80% of his career. If you put alpha receivers like AB, TO, Julio, or Calvin Johnson in that scenario then it’s likely they are putting up the same numbers. So it IS possible, but not probable until a reciever gets that kinda situation again or just defies Father Time. I think the Steelers trade AB once Ben retires or his contract comes up again so that could shake up things, Julio is probably too physical to break it. But those are the best shots now.

a) tom brady doesnt play receiver.

it is true that someone has to throw you the ball, but rice was still 13th in receiving putting up elite numbers in 2002 at 40 years old catching balls from Rich Gannon (that was the only year gannon ever topped 4k yards). the point that youre trying to make is so ridiculously unlikely that it's laughable, however anything is possible and no one knows the future.

(The only receiver over the age of 29 in the top 50 in receiving in the nfl this year is Antonio brown (12th down from 1st last year). Demaryius Thomas is the next 30 year old on the list at 54th in receiving in the NFL.)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
a) tom brady doesnt play receiver.

it is true that someone has to throw you the ball, but rice was still 13th in receiving putting up elite numbers in 2002 at 40 years old catching balls from Rich Gannon (that was the only year gannon ever topped 4k yards). the point that youre trying to make is so ridiculously unlikely that it's laughable, however anything is possible and no one knows the future.

(The only receiver over the age of 29 in the top 50 in receiving in the nfl this year is Antonio brown (12th down from 1st last year). Demaryius Thomas is the next 30 year old on the list at 54th in receiving in the NFL.)
Lol. Are you kin to TFB because you make the same snarky statements when someone disagrees with you.

But I guess I’ll be the person that says, “ I agree to disagree” and move on.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I nominate this thread for the silliest argument I have seen this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
Things I've gathered from this thread.
1. Rice was good
2. To was good
3. Julio is good.

Also Julio was passed to 4x in the super bowl. 3x in the first half and just once in the second half. He caught every thing they threw to him. For some reason you have "one of" the greatest wide receivers ever and you throw his way once in the second half? Made no sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.