Julio Jones Career Perspective

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I know that we all know how great Julio is, but here are a couple stats to put it into perspective.

Julio is leading the NFL in receiving this year by a full 10 yards per game. Head and shoulders above the field. 15.5 yards a catch too.

Julio Jones is currently leading NFL history in receiving yards per game at 97.1. The highest retired player is Calvin Johnson at 86.1. Jerry Rice is at 75.6. (in 2018 so far Julio is averaging 115.6/ypg)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_per_g_career.htm

Lets get this straight- No one will ever break Jerry Rice's receiving record (22,895 yards absolutely insane).

That said, Larry Fitzgerald (35 years old) took the number 2 spot at 15,952 yards last week. Julio (29 years old) is already (!!!) 47th all time at 10,094 yds (Before todays game). Julio would have to avg 12 games a year and 75 yards a game with zero playoff stats to pass where Larry Fitzgerald is right now by that same age. Julio has a legitimate chance to end his career as the 2nd leading receiver of all time.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_yds_career.htm
I was a student at Alabama in my dorm watching the ceremony on my laptop with my roommates cheering and jumping around my room when Julio committed to UA. I followed every high school game he played. You could make the legitimate argument that his commitment started the greatest dynasty in college football history. He is somehow surpassing those expectations and he's doing it with none of the drama or negative press that plagues much of the NFL all time receiving list. Long live Julio Jones. My favorite player of all time. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Lets get this straight- No one will ever break Jerry Rice's receiving record (22,895 yards absolutely insane).
TO would have if he could get along with folks.

Right now Julio and Antonio Brown are probably in the best positions to do it, but they need to stay with that above average qb on the roster.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
TO would have if he could get along with folks.

Right now Julio and Antonio Brown are probably in the best positions to do it, but they need to stay with that above average qb on the roster.
TO finished his career just under7,000 yards short. he would have had to add 4.5 seasons with enough yards to lead the NFL in receiving last year to do that. TO was 37 when he stopped playing in the NFL. even if he kept his career avg of 72.8 he would have had to play 96 more games to get there. That means at 13 games a year he would have had to play until he was FOURTY FOUR YEARS OLD averaging 72 yards a game. woulda/shoulda/coulda he wasnt even close.

Antonio Brown is obviously great and one of the best ever. Julio has within 100 yards of AB and hes a year younger. AB's QB is much much older and on the way out soon. Julio is also significantly bigger. barring injuries, it would stand to reason that Julio will outlast AB but that isnt a given. I dont know the future. I'm just putting his current greatness into perspective.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
TO finished his career just under7,000 yards short. he would have had to add 4.5 seasons with enough yards to lead the NFL in receiving last year to do that. TO was 37 when he stopped playing in the NFL. even if he kept his career avg of 72.8 he would have had to play 96 more games to get there. That means at 13 games a year he would have had to play until he was FOURTY FOUR YEARS OLD averaging 72 yards a game. woulda/shoulda/coulda he wasnt even close.

Antonio Brown is obviously great and one of the best ever. Julio has within 100 yards of AB and hes a year younger. AB's QB is much much older and on the way out soon. Julio is also significantly bigger. barring injuries, it would stand to reason that Julio will outlast AB but that isnt a given. I dont know the future. I'm just putting his current greatness into perspective.
TO also only played 7 games in 2005. That was a huge factor. The Philly stint hurt him in more ways than one. I think its very plausible to say he would be in the 20k, whether or not he broke it is a debate. But what isn't is that he was the most realistic receiver to have a chance. Maybe if Megatron went to a better team and didn't retire early, but TO has more of an argument.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
TO also only played 7 games in 2005. That was a huge factor. The Philly stint hurt him in more ways than one. I think its very plausible to say he would be in the 20k, whether or not he broke it is a debate. But what isn't is that he was the most realistic receiver to have a chance. Maybe if Megatron went to a better team and didn't retire early, but TO has more of an argument.
did you not read what i wrote? lol. he wasnt 9 games short he was 96 games short. he would have had to play 7 games 10 times and put up the same stats for that argument to be valid. he wasnt even close. he could have been elite for 4 more years and he wouldnt have gotten there. no one ever will break that record. this isnt a debate at all.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
He is a hall of famer, but if he isn't traded he will never win a super bowl.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
To elaborate on that, you could take every receiving yard Deandre Hopkins has in his career so far, give them all to TO, and he still wouldnt break jerry rice's record. Thats how absurd it is. saying TO could have broken it isnt giving respect to TO.... its a failure to recognize how unreal that record is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
did you not read what i wrote? lol. he wasnt 9 games short he was 96 games short. he would have had to play 7 games 10 times and put up the same stats for that argument to be valid. he wasnt even close. he could have been elite for 4 more years and he wouldnt have gotten there. no one ever will break that record. this isnt a debate at all.
Oh I read what you wrote, but your point lacks the underlying context that kept TO from getting 20k. That was that he couldn't get along with anyone. Also the big what if would've been "what if he went to a team like the Patriots, Chargers, or Steelers and had an elite qb for once." A lot of Rice's success happened when he had Montana and Young passing him the ball. Rice was in for 16. TO was in for 15. TO in his last 5 years was putting up better numbers than Rice his last 5 years with lesser talented qbs.

Rice was gifted two hall of fame qbs, and yet TO came up 7k without having one in his corner. So it is very possible given enough luck at qb for someone to break it. So it is debatable

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I'm still not sure how that happened. Football is a strange thing at times.
Give a qb like Brady enough time by playing too conservative, and its possible. Its like today with Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. Jacksonville had Pittsburgh held at 25 total yards going into the half, and had a 10 point lead with just over 2 minutes left, but found a way to lose. You play conservative down the stretch and you get punked by a team with an elite offense

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Give a qb like Brady enough time by playing too conservative, and its possible. Its like today with Pittsburgh and Jacksonville. Jacksonville had Pittsburgh held at 25 total yards going into the half, and had a 10 point lead with just over 2 minutes left, but found a way to lose. You play conservative down the stretch and you get punked by a team with an elite offense
I don't remember Atlanta going conservative on offense. Is that what happened? I just remember Atlanta's defense being exhausted because of the speed of play that the Pats use and eventually they could barely stay on their feet.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Oh I read what you wrote, but your point lacks the underlying context that kept TO from getting 20k. That was that he couldn't get along with anyone. Also the big what if would've been "what if he went to a team like the Patriots, Chargers, or Steelers and had an elite qb for once." A lot of Rice's success happened when he had Montana and Young passing him the ball. Rice was in for 16. TO was in for 15. TO in his last 5 years was putting up better numbers than Rice his last 5 years with lesser talented qbs.

Rice was gifted two hall of fame qbs, and yet TO came up 7k without having one in his corner. So it is very possible given enough luck at qb for someone to break it. So it is debatable
this isnt worth my time haha

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I don't remember Atlanta going conservative on offense. Is that what happened? I just remember Atlanta's defense being exhausted because of the speed of play that the Pats use and eventually they could barely stay on their feet.
After that 3rd offensive td, it seemed as though Atlanta just wanted to get out of there with the trophy instead of just keep throwing haymakers. They lost their edge at 8:31 in the 3rd quarter. Brady scoring multiple tds was a given, but the pats defense holding the Falcons offense out of the endzone for 21 1/2 minutes wasn't.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.