Worth the watch - CBS Introduction of Army/Navy game (2017)

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I was going to that game this year, but don't think I'll be able to make it. Instead, I promised myself to be there next year. Setting up everything so that barring something crazy, and I mean crazy, I'm gonna be in the stands in Philly

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I went to the 2000 Army-Navy game. Most are in Philadelphia, but a few rotate around, and that one was in Baltimore. A bright clear day, but [censored] cold.

Neither team was very good that year. Going into the game, I think they might have had three wins between them.

Every American should see at least one of these games, including watching the march of the cadets and midshipmen into the stadium. It will renew your faith in youth and the future of the republic.

The most memorable part was a Marine, dressed to resemble Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now -- cavalry hat, blindingly shiny boots, and bloused pants. The Navy midshipmen don't march much, and their lines we're getting a bit wavy. Plus, they were more walking than marching, and they were talking to one another. Not the standard disciplined presentation.

He barked out an admonition that can come from only a SEAL instructor, and can't be repeated on TF. Boomed for a couple of blocks. Unfortunately, it's one of those things where nothing other than military-grade profanity truly conveys the message. The Navy kids straightened up real quick. And we who were on the parade route, and within earshot, smiled with a combination of entertainment, understanding, and pride.

A truly singular moment.

Also, TV doesn't always show the singing of the alma maters at the end. Loser's song first, winner's last. Thus the saying, you always want to sing last. Anyway, if you can spend the whole day from parade, through the game, and stay to singing, and not tear up, well, you just don't have a heart.

If you get the chance, go. No matter how good or bad either team is, go.

I promise, if you take in the whole experience, and look at it as far more than just the game itself, you will take the memories to your grave.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
I'm just so happy the good guys are winning again. I worry that if I wait too long....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Bit of trivia on the vid...at about the 4:03 mark....that room with all the plants in it is called a conservatory. Very cool and something I've always wanted for my house.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Bit of trivia on the vid...at about the 4:03 mark....that room with all the plants in it is called a conservatory. Very cool and something I've always wanted for my house.
That's where Colonel Mustard murdered Mr. Boddy with the lead pipe.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.