How UCF Can Get Into the Top 4 - Hypothetical Football

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I agree with this, but how would we handle teams like Alabama last year? No 13th game.
We'd play Notre Dame ;)

NCAA By Law --

The highest ranked Independent must play any one-loss team that does not make their conference championship. In the event that there are two one-loss teams who fail to make a conference championship game, the second highest ranked independent would fill that slot.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I feel until UCF plays some real teams they should not ever get into playoff. Look at their opponents, that is not a schedule worth mentioning. I know year to year teams go up and down, but their opponents have never been good. They are a bunch of mediocre teams at best. I know teams like FSU and Nebraska hurt opponent SOS due to them being down, but at least at one time they were good teams. Not one team on UCF schedule has ever been a top team.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
You forgot one:
6 - play a real schedule, you flipping pansies.
They have beaten 2 ranked teams. Also they beat Pittsburgh by more than Notre Dame beat them by (by alot). Their schedule is not too bad. Plus I really want them to be ranked 4th so Alabama can crush them in the semi-finals.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
They have beaten 2 ranked teams. Also they beat Pittsburgh by more than Notre Dame beat them by (by alot). Their schedule is not too bad. Plus I really want them to be ranked 4th so Alabama can crush them in the semi-finals.
They're playing the 95th ranked SOS in the country. Literally worse than BSu played when we laughed at their weak attempts at scheduling.

Try again.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
They're playing the 95th ranked SOS in the country. Literally worse than BSu played when we laughed at their weak attempts at scheduling.

Try again.
I do not dent that the rest of their schedule is crap but they still beat 2 ranked teams. Also supposedly one of the things that the commitee looks at is wins against common opponents. UCF beat Pittsburgh by more than Notre Dame did. I am not a UCF fan but would like for them to have their shot so we can put this whole thing to rest.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I do not dent that the rest of their schedule is crap but they still beat 2 ranked teams. Also supposedly one of the things that the commitee looks at is wins against common opponents. UCF beat Pittsburgh by more than Notre Dame did. I am not a UCF fan but would like for them to have their shot so we can put this whole thing to rest.
There is no dispute. They eat cupcakes every week and play in a weak conference.

The CFP committee has 8 Teams ranked ahead of them with a loss and two of those have 2 losses..... so the committee is making a solid statement over how impressed they are with UCF.

The only people trying to make UCF a serious contender is UCF and controversial talking head idiots like Danny Kanell.

The rest of the sane CFB world is pointing at them and laughing. They MADE themselves a 'NC Trophy' because they beat a 3-loss team in a Bowl Game. They are pathetic.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
My dream would be for UCF to finish the season undefeated but finish.................#5 in the standings.

We can definitely look forward to seeing UCF try and claim another Nat'l Title once they are shut out from the playoffs. :rolleye2:

With that said, I wish people would stop comparing UCF to Boise State. At least Boise beat legitimate teams in their day. Beating an uninterested in playing Auburn, does not a resume make. They know if they put Clemson, Bama, ND, etc on their schedule they will lose, thus they do not schedule a P5 team and still claim "nobody wants to play us."

So yeah, UCF can bugger off.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
UCF is hanging their hat on the fact they have beaten a power 5 division champ in back to back years. They beat ACC Coastal champ Pitt this year 45-14 and of course the barn , SEC west champ last year. UCF beat the barn after they lost a chance at the CFB playoffs last year and they beat Pitt early in the year after a horrendous start for the panthers that saw them lose at home to Penn St 51-6 to start the season 2-3. After the UCF loss, Pitt reeled of 5 of 6 losing only to Notre Dame 19-14 in South Bend. To me, UCF caught both teams at the right time. But that is what someone biased would say. I dunno, I don’t think they will make the playoff unless every team 4-11 loses at least once . If Pitt plays Clemson close in the ACC title game, look out. You will hear the screaming from Orlando until next season! They are already comparing their game against Pitt (45-14) vs ND ‘s game against Pitt.(19-14)

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
UCF is hanging their hat on the fact they have beaten a power 5 division champ in back to back years. They beat ACC Coastal champ Pitt this year 45-14 and of course the barn , SEC west champ last year. UCF beat the barn after they lost a chance at the CFB playoffs last year and they beat Pitt early in the year after a horrendous start for the panthers that saw them lose at home to Penn St 51-6 to start the season 2-3. After the UCF loss, Pitt reeled of 5 of 6 losing only to Notre Dame 19-14 in South Bend. To me, UCF caught both teams at the right time. But that is what someone biased would say. I dunno, I don’t think they will make the playoff unless every team 4-11 loses at least once . If Pitt plays Clemson close in the ACC title game, look out. You will hear the screaming from Orlando until next season! They are already comparing their game against Pitt (45-14) vs ND ‘s game against Pitt.(19-14)
I understand why people use comparative scores, primarily because there is little else. But they can be so misleading for several reasons. UCF beat Memphis 31-30, Missouri beat Memphis 65-33. Bama beat Mo 39-10; does that mean Bama is 60 points better than UCF? Two can play that game. I wonder what they would say about that? Temple, who is averaging ~380 yds of total O, put up 670 yards of offense on them and lost late. They struggled with a bad Navy team, winning by 11. On and on...

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I understand why people use comparative scores, primarily because there is little else. But they can be so misleading for several reasons. UCF beat Memphis 31-30, Missouri beat Memphis 65-33. Bama beat Mo 39-10; does that mean Bama is 60 points better than UCF? Two can play that game. I wonder what they would say about that? Temple, who is averaging ~380 yds of total O, put up 670 yards of offense on them and lost late. They struggled with a bad Navy team, winning by 11. On and on...
Boom! It is funny how people like to use any data they can to help their cause while ignoring similar data that may hurt it. Stats/data can certainly be skewed, which is why I love the old saying about three kinds of lies. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Despite what everyone's saying here, with the original scenario, betcha a dollar they're in.

Everyone loves Cinderella.
They finally beat a rankedish team in Cincinnati.

I believe this so much that I'm gonna guarantee that come tonight, they outrank LSU because of their win.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Despite what everyone's saying here, with the original scenario, betcha a dollar they're in.

I believe this so much that I'm gonna guarantee that come tonight, they outrank LSU because of their win.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Crap. I thought LSU was 2 spots ahead of them where WVU is. Ok, I guarantee that in 2 weeks they are ranked ahead of LSU if they win out

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

FWIW, they also beat a solid Pitt team 45-14. This is the same Pitt team that will get to play Clemson in the ACCCG.

For a transitive comparison, Notre Dame barely beat Pitt, 19-14

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
FWIW, they also beat a solid Pitt team 45-14. This is the same Pitt team that will get to play Clemson in the ACCCG.

For a transitive comparison, Notre Dame barely beat Pitt, 19-14
Your face is transitive property. BOOM

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.