Conversation my sister heard between an Auburn fan and UGA fan

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
Georgia fan(woman) says to Auburn fan (guy) big game this week. A-Not looking to get a win. G-maybe soon someone can beat them. A-Just a few more years and Saban will retire. Then they won’t be good anymore.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Georgia fan(woman) says to Auburn fan (guy) big game this week. A-Not looking to get a win. G-maybe soon someone can beat them. A-Just a few more years and Saban will retire. Then they won’t be good anymore.
I thought that was a setup for a joke at first,but I hear that all the time. Love the ones like ‘Bama was no good before Saban, and they will slink back to obscurity after he’s gone!’ Especially with the Dawg fan base

BJ4TIDE

All-SEC
Aug 11, 2007
It's a funny mindset. LSU was good for 10 years based on what Saban built over 5 years. His "process" will carry over at least that long for Bama.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You can't expect kids that age to know about Wallace Wade, Frank Thomas, Paul Bryant, etc. They have no guarantee at all that we won't strike gold again. We've made a habit of it...

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
I actually had someone tell me this past Friday that Alabama had taken all the fun out of college football. She's an Auburn fan and her husband is a Bama fan. I even tried to explain that those of us who grew up in the Bryant years had a hard time following his retirement and passing. Other than the Stallings years, it was not as much fun being a Bama fan as it is now. I'm enjoying this run and I will for as long as it lasts. I keep reminding them that no one hates Vanderbilt!

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I actually had someone tell me this past Friday that Alabama had taken all the fun out of college football. She's an Auburn fan and her husband is a Bama fan. I even tried to explain that those of us who grew up in the Bryant years had a hard time following his retirement and passing. Other than the Stallings years, it was not as much fun being a Bama fan as it is now. I'm enjoying this run and I will for as long as it lasts. I keep reminding them that no one hates Vanderbilt!
I get what she means. It is a lot of fun for us right now because we are riding on top of that wave. But if I were a fan of any other team, I am sure I would not think this was fun at all. Now a neutral observer who is just a fan of the game in general might find it enjoyable to see a team show this level of dominance over such a long period, because these things do not happen often, so it is historic. But you are not going to convince and Auburn, LSU, or Vols fan to see it than way and just soak it in.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

The charge is plagiarism! Passage lifted verbatim from Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man Is Hard to Find"!

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
Exactly. I guess it is better to be hated than ignored.
I remember when USC started that short, dominant run about 15 years ago that I grew to despise them because it seemed as if they would be good forever. I was in college then, but I still dislike them now because how I felt about Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush, et al, has lingered all these years. Thus, if people are anything like me, I can completely understand why some people hate us, and frankly, they'll still have reason to hate us long after Saban is gone. :)

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I thought that was a setup for a joke at first,but I hear that all the time. Love the ones like ‘Bama was no good before Saban, and they will slink back to obscurity after he’s gone!’ Especially with the Dawg fan base
Funny we have 17 NC's and only 5 with Saban, seems we did okay at some point before him. Auburn now has how many 2? bahahahahahahha

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
As long as Alabama has a good Coach, Alabama will win. Justification: 1. Coach Wallace Wade! 2. Coach Frank Thomas! 3. Coach Paul W. Bryant! 4. Coach Gene Stallings! 5. Coach Nick Saban!

Let's just hire a GOOD Coach after the Coach Saban Era. By the year 3000 AD, just think of that long list of statues outside BDS.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The problem is being a fan of another team AND having a Bama fan mindset (such that we expect to win NC's). If you're not a Bama fan and based on the last 10 years, I don't see how you can realistically believe, for examples:

A Georgia fan thinking they should win it all
An LSU fan ...
An Auburn fan ...
Notre Dame ...
Oklahoma ...

I get that USC and maybe Texas and maybe, just maybe Ohio St having that outlook but those ships have sailed on some time ago. No program's fans should be thinking that even when Saban retires. They'll need a great coach, a good team and a lot of luck and they'll still never have a "dynasty" like Saban's Bama teams have. In my lifetime, the only team that's come close to it is the New York Yankees and for a while, the NE Patriots.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I don't think Bama has taken the fun out of college - in fact I think it's just the opposite. Personally; and I know I'm in the minority, but underdogs don't get my juices flowing. I like to see teams develop a masterful game plan and execute it flawlessly. I'm not opposed to seeing a dominant team enforce its will on its opponent. Moreover, I have no issues with dynasties and believe they're good for sports. Dynasties set a standard that all other programs must aspire. Over time all dynasties come to an end and then the next one rises. That's what makes sports interesting to me.

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Funny we have 17 NC's and only 5 with Saban, seems we did okay at some point before him. Auburn now has how many 2? bahahahahahahha
Wait, why aren't you counting the '04 Opelika Tribune National Championship?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
As one said above about LSU making a good run after Saban with Les miles. Now if we land a good coach with the talent built in and the rep we have we should still be very good, as dominate maybe not but still a NC contender.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.