Hello from ND fan

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Thanks for the replies!

From what I'm gathering, the 2018 Bama team is better than the 2012 Bama team, which I didn't know if was possible. That's meant to be a credit to your 2012 team, as I also was present for the Bush Push game and did not think the 2005 USC team stacked up well in comparison.

To answer a few questions I saw, I personally want Clemson first round. I think we match up best with them and would prefer to avoid a rematch with Michigan out of the gate (unlikely scenario) due to the difficulty of beating a team twice. I'm unsure of how we would match up with Georgia and we play them between the Hedges next September anyways.

As far as playing Alabama, we are hoping to avoid them first round. This would cut down on the prep time Saban has for us. Kelly is decent at a lot of things, but the less time the two coaches have to prepare for each other the better from our perspective. I would consider it a very successful season to beat SC/Clemson before putting out a competitive performance (10-17 point loss) in the title game against Alabama.
IMO the 2012 team is the best of the CNS era to this point. But I honestly believe this team has a chance to easily eclipse that team. By a lot. But they have to finish the season to do it. Have to win the national championship or else you're just the 2016 Alabama team.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thanks for the replies!

From what I'm gathering, the 2018 Bama team is better than the 2012 Bama team, which I didn't know if was possible. That's meant to be a credit to your 2012 team, as I also was present for the Bush Push game and did not think the 2005 USC team stacked up well in comparison.

To answer a few questions I saw, I personally want Clemson first round. I think we match up best with them and would prefer to avoid a rematch with Michigan out of the gate (unlikely scenario) due to the difficulty of beating a team twice. I'm unsure of how we would match up with Georgia and we play them between the Hedges next September anyways.

As far as playing Alabama, we are hoping to avoid them first round. This would cut down on the prep time Saban has for us. Kelly is decent at a lot of things, but the less time the two coaches have to prepare for each other the better from our perspective. I would consider it a very successful season to beat SC/Clemson before putting out a competitive performance (10-17 point loss) in the title game against Alabama.
that bcscg was one of the best games i remember bama playing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Thanks for the replies!

I wouldn't say this team is better than 2012 in terms of accomplishment. There is plenty left to accomplish: win all major rivalry games, SEC title, a national title. 2012 got those things done...2018's accomplishments are to be determined. This team may have even more NFL talent though. Especially on the offensive side where I think the QB is a 1st rounder (possibly top pick in 2020), the top 4 WRs will all eventually get drafted no worse than the 3rd round (Juedy and Waddle are 1st rounders), the TE will probably be the top taken at his position in 2020.

I think you're spot on in your assessment for Notre Dame's optimal path. You shouldn't want a rematch with Michigan because they have so much "data" on your team despite the QB change and motivation may not be quantifiable yet unwise to discount. I think Clemson will struggle mightily with your defensive front. They're running all over folks this year but I still see the same mediocre play from their OL. ACC is awful this year and it has mostly masked Clemson's worts. Lawrence is a rare talent but he's had shaky stretches in games which is understandable for a true freshman. Unlike Tua, he's played a ton of snaps which paradoxically may be worse for their title chances. Jalen Hurts hit a wall in 2016 due to people getting a read on what he does best plus a bit of a physical toll. I think the same is gonna happen to Lawrence. They're just not gonna get tested at QB until it is too late to course correct much like Alabama in 2016. Question is whether it is Alabama, Notre Dame, or Michigan that can get it done against them but each have the defenses to do it.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Very good analysis RGW. Thanks specifically for some Tide player analysis. I remember coming on here being surprised that some thought more highly of a freshmen receiver than Marquise Lee/Robert Woods from USC. That freshmen receiver was Amari Cooper

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
From the sounds of the Committee talking, I would not be surprised to see us get hosed down to #4 behind Michigan and get stuck playing you guys first round.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From the sounds of the Committee talking, I would not be surprised to see us get hosed down to #4 behind Michigan and get stuck playing you guys first round.
Just getting in is enough - if the first team you play is the worst, just realize you'd end up playing them anyway, most likely after playing another really good team...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is a privilege we have as a fanbase due to being in all four of these tournaments, so I feel like we kinda understand how seeding really works in this process. We've also been a top, mid, and bottom seed in the tournament over these four opportunities too.

1) The #1 seed is the only seed that really matters since that team will get the best geographic proximity for the semifinal. I don't even think this matters for Notre Dame because you are a fanbase with a wide alumni base and a significant national "sidewalk" fandom.

2) You want your toughest matchup in the semifinal so you can spend more time preparing for their common looks and installing "beaters" for their tendencies.

3) The championship game turnaround is too tight for you to have the same kind of gameplan for your next opponent, so it is going to go back to execution and talent.

Basically, if you think you have a talent delta against one specific team then you want that team in the semis so you can maybe have the staff out-coach and your players outwork the other team over the intervening month. Though the biggest difference between 2015/2016 Clemson and 2017 Clemson was no Deshaun Watson, I definitely think our team kinda outworked Clemson over the break and came in ready to smother them. Georgia was a much better team for us to draw in the CFPCG than either Clemson or Oklahoma. I'd much rather catch a generic pro-style offense - talented as it may have been - than a wide-open spread team with playbook thicker than the Holy Bible given that short turnaround.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Greetings ND. Hope to see yall sometime during the playoffs.
(We both still haven't finished the season, so that is a little premature.)
I have watched ND a couple of times this year. ND may be better that 2012,
BUT... Alabama is a different animal than played ND in 2012. :biggrin2:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Welcome, and I actually don't think ND is overrated right now. You have 4 wins over current Top 25 teams in (Michigan, Pitt, Northwestern, and Syracuse).

You have the 27th Ranked Scoring Offense, 15th Ranked Scoring Defense and are 31st in FG kicking at 80% (16-20). That all shows your team is balanced as well. This is a ND team I can respect being ranked #3.

But the real X-Factor is that Ian Book is LEGIT. He's 8th in QB Passer Rating this year and 2nd in Comp%. He's made you guys way more dynamic and explosive on Offense. Wimbush was/is a terrible QB.... no offense.

Now that I've said all those nice things I have to be honest with you that your 2012 team was one of the most overrated in the history of CFB.

Georgia or Ohio State would have destroyed that 2012 ND team as bad as Alabama did. Oregon or Texas A&M probably would have beat you as well. ND was MAYBE the 6th best team that year.....Maybe....

As for Alabama in 2018. This is honestly one of the Best teams we've ever had and certainly the most explosive offensively.

We are ranked 3rd in Scoring Offense AND 3rd in Scoring Defense. It has taken the Defense a while to gel but they have really come together from mid-season until now.

Quinnen Williams is one of the most destructive unstoppable D-Lineman we've ever had.

Tua Tagovailoa is the best QB we have ever had and looks to be on the way to winning the Heisman.

Our WR core is DEADLY. Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs III, Jaylen Waddle, Devonta Smith, and Irv Smith Jr.

All 5 of them have over 400 yards, 4 or more TD's and average 18.0 YPC or higher

They combined have 3,244 yards receiving and 34 TD's

Having said all that I can't say they are better than our 2012 Alabama team yet though...... They have to win the NC to qualify for that honor.

If our teams happen to meet in the Playoff's...... I of course think Alabama will win but I think you guys possibly make it a tough game that's closer than we would like. Certainly more of a fight than 2012/13.

Best of luck in your remaining regular season games though and hopefully we can match up in the post season and see what happens.
You forgot LSU, Florida State, and Clemson also may have been better than Notre Dame that year. Heck even Florida, South Carolina, and Louisville would have given them all they could handle.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Thanks for the replies!

Alabama does not play Georgia in the 2019 regular season. They play in 2020 and it will be at Bryant-Denny. It will probably be the 2:30 CBS game [emoji6]. Also is anyone else aware that Alabama has a scheduled home and home with Notre Dame?? @ ND in 2028 & @Alabama in 2029.

Last edited:
just about all of them got drafted or at least got UFA contract. of the significant contributors, guys that actually made a significant NFL stay are

AJ
Eddie lacy
Amari
Cyrus Jones
Yeldon
Kenyon Drake
DJ fluker
Chance Warmack
Cyrus Kouandjio
Haha Clinton Dix
Robert Lester
Dee Milliner
CJ Moseley

Landon collins was a freshman and played some and is maybe the best safety in the league now

Jesse Williams didnt stay in the league that long but he won the super bowl with the seahawks.
You missed Nico Johnson.

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
Alabama does not play Georgia in the 2019 regular season. They play in 2020 and it will be at Bryant-Denny. It will probably be the 2:30 CBS game [emoji6]. Also is anyone else aware that Alabama has a scheduled home and home with Notre Dame?? @ ND in 2028 & @Alabama in 2029.
I meant Notre Dame plays at Georgia. Our road slate is Lousville, Georgia, Michigan, Duke, and Stanford. Home slate isn't great (USC, Virginia Tech, Navy, BC, Virginia, BG, and New Mexico)

athlete37

Scout Team
Dec 13, 2012
It is a privilege we have as a fanbase due to being in all four of these tournaments, so I feel like we kinda understand how seeding really works in this process. We've also been a top, mid, and bottom seed in the tournament over these four opportunities too.

1) The #1 seed is the only seed that really matters since that team will get the best geographic proximity for the semifinal. I don't even think this matters for Notre Dame because you are a fanbase with a wide alumni base and a significant national "sidewalk" fandom.

2) You want your toughest matchup in the semifinal so you can spend more time preparing for their common looks and installing "beaters" for their tendencies.

3) The championship game turnaround is too tight for you to have the same kind of gameplan for your next opponent, so it is going to go back to execution and talent.

Basically, if you think you have a talent delta against one specific team then you want that team in the semis so you can maybe have the staff out-coach and your players outwork the other team over the intervening month. Though the biggest difference between 2015/2016 Clemson and 2017 Clemson was no Deshaun Watson, I definitely think our team kinda outworked Clemson over the break and came in ready to smother them. Georgia was a much better team for us to draw in the CFPCG than either Clemson or Oklahoma. I'd much rather catch a generic pro-style offense - talented as it may have been - than a wide-open spread team with playbook thicker than the Holy Bible given that short turnaround.
We are of the opinion that the coaching gap between ND and Alabama is greater than the talent gap. That's not to say that the talent gap isn't wide, it's to say that Nick Saban is probably the most accomplished coach in CFB history and there are still ND fans that want Kelly gone.

In this case, we would want to reverse that and hope for the best on short prep time.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think this year's Notre Dame squad is a great deal better than 2012. That 2012 team was gritty, and just won. That would have been a magical season in another year, but gritty and "just winning" doesn't get it done against Alabama in this era.

This year, I think Notre Dame has a significant number of NFL level players on its roster and will be a tough opponent. I don't think they are on Alabama's level, if both teams are healthy, but close enough to us that we can't play a B game and win. Unless you all don't play well at the same time. IOW, I do think Notre Dame is a legit top 4 team this year. I'm not sure they were in 2012.

I think if the top 4 keep winning, the seeds will hold. #1 Alabama will play #4 Michigan in Dallas, while #2 Clemson will face #3 Notre Dame in Miami. I do not think the committee will vault Michigan past Notre Dame, due to the head-to-head loss, even though Michigan might look better today. I think that sets up an Alabama vs. Notre Dame final in San Fran.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.