CFN: Auburn vs. Alabama Fearless Prediction, Game Preview

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Stidham isn’t going to be good enough.

The Auburn defense will be jacked up for a few drives, but the O won’t go anywhere against the Tide defensive front, Stidham won’t get anything going deep, and the Alabama offensive trickle will turn into a waterfall.

Tagovailoa will open it up in the second quarter, and the defense will take care fo the rest.

It won’t be a thing of beauty, but after losing last year, the Bama fans will take it.
Indeed - I'll take it!

CFN: Auburn vs. Alabama Fearless Prediction, Game Preview

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Pete said he’s voting for Murray for the Heisman. (Heavy sigh)
He also said that if Tua goes off this weekend (which he expects he will) and WVU beats OU (which he expects they will) that's he'll likely flip. But he has a good point - Bama would likely be 11-0 if Hurts was the starter - little chance OU would be a one-loss team without Murray.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
He also said that if Tua goes off this weekend (which he expects he will) and WVU beats OU (which he expects they will) that's he'll likely flip. But he has a good point - Bama would likely be 11-0 if Hurts was the starter - little chance OU would be a one-loss team without Murray.
I am not sure we would be 11-0 with hurts all year. Tua has taken us to another level and without that deep ball threat not sure we win all 11. This is a totally different offense with Tua playing.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
We might be 11-0

But we wouldn't be 11-0 ;)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I am not sure we would be 11-0 with hurts all year. Tua has taken us to another level and without that deep ball threat not sure we win all 11. This is a totally different offense with Tua playing.
Agreed, but no one has been close to Bama this season. I can't think of a single game that if Hurts had started (especially considering how Hurts has progressed since last year) that Bama still won't have won, albeit with a smaller margin of victory.

It's at least debatable.

That said, no one thinks that OU is a one-loss team if Murray isn't QB...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Jalen would have missed the LSU and MSU games - 2 losses with Mac Jones at QB.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'll counter that by saying OU would be undefeated with Tua, and he would have even better numbers than Murray does now.

Although I'm saying that without factoring in the horrid display the OU defense routinely trots out there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Meh, who's to say Hurts gets hurt in this alternative reality?
My point is that it is not a given that Alabama is undefeated without Tua. Jalen got hurt in much more limited play. The idea that Alabama would be undefeated without Tua is absurd. Alabama might have lost many other games this year. QB is too important a position in today's football to simply make that assumption.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
My point is that it is not a given that Alabama is undefeated without Tua. Jalen got hurt in much more limited play. The idea that Alabama would be undefeated without Tua is absurd. Alabama might have lost many other games this year. QB is too important a position in today's football to simply make that assumption.
And my point is Bama was undefeated through 11 games with Hurts last year, and he's better this year. And arguably, most of the same teams we've faced are worse.

Bama is definitely better with Tua, but I have little doubt Bama would still be undefeated vs this year's schedule with Hurts as the starter. I'm not talking about the what-ifs of injuries, etc - those things happen - I'm simply saying that Murray is a more important factor in OU being 10-1 than Tua is in Bama being 11-0.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And my point is Bama was undefeated through 11 games with Hurts last year, and he's better this year. And arguably, most of the same teams we've faced are worse.

Bama is definitely better with Tua, but I have little doubt Bama would still be undefeated vs this year's schedule with Hurts as the starter. I'm not talking about the what-ifs of injuries, etc - those things happen - I'm simply saying that Murray is a more important factor in OU being 10-1 than Tua is in Bama being 11-0.
To go deeper into my thought process - without Tua your entire team would look different this year. Assuming he was just lost for the season to injury, your entire team plays harder with Tua at QB, so your effort level would have diminished without him. Every single player believes in Tua. Every single player knows that Alabama loses to GA last year without him. And if he was lost before the season started, how much of this season's greatness ever materializes? IMO, none of it. IMO, Alabama could as easily be a 3 loss team as an undefeated team without Tua this year.

You cannot discount how the players felt last year. Those feelings would have instantly been realized again when Tua was lost to the team. Receivers would not be happy and your offense would be run oriented rather than pass oriented. Your defense would have been under enormous pressure from day 1, and that would have been a problem given the turnover and lack of experience.

Would you still be undefeated? Maybe, but I would not bet on it. In fact, I would bet heavily against it.

ETA - now if you are saying that the Sooners might have lost even more games without Murray that Alabama without Tua, that is fair. But Tua makes Alabama into a championship team this year. Alabama is not a championship team without him. You cannot make a bigger difference than that, IMO.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.