Solid SDS Article - Cold, Hard Truth about UCF

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
This is a great read by the chief editor at SDS about why UCF is a pretender:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/biggest-reason-ucf-doesnt-deserve-to-be-in-playoff/

It's worth the read for the comparative stat tables alone. Even though I figured they were substantial, the discrepancies in the recruiting and draft numbers that he points out are absolutely staggering and should firmly shut the mouth of any halfway-intelligent person who says UCF could compete in the SEC. My favorite quote from the article:

I know that’s not what UCF fans want to hear, and turning the clock ahead to midnight isn’t exactly my idea of fun, either. I love a good story. But it’s bed time, and I like facts more.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Love this quote at the end

Danny Kanell loves to prop up the Knights and thinks they could go toe-to-toe with Georgia or Alabama.

I’d love to see Kanell say that while standing behind the Knights’ offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
This is a great read by the chief editor at SDS about why UCF is a pretender:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/biggest-reason-ucf-doesnt-deserve-to-be-in-playoff/

It's worth the read for the comparative stat tables alone. Even though I figured they were substantial, the discrepancies in the recruiting and draft numbers that he points out are absolutely staggering and should firmly shut the mouth of any halfway-intelligent person who says UCF could compete in the SEC. My favorite quote from the article:
Indeed recruiting matters and that is why so much money and energy is spent on it. But the BCS busters won't let facts stand in their way.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My favorite quote:
Knights fans already are heading to the comments section. Let me save you the time: Congratulations on beating Auburn, with a month’s rest and a month to prepare for a team that didn’t want to be there. And still nearly won.
The Barn let the entire universe down last bowl season. Now it is time to punish the Barn for that failure.

bamafan1966

Scout Team
Sep 4, 2017
Danny Kanell is just like Colin Cowherd.....they are willing to back any team or make any statement if it brings attention.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Mistake most make, listening to talking heads who are trying to get RATINGS in TV land. No sane person who has any grasp on football thinks UCF could beat top flight teams. They allowed temple to score 40 and gain 700 yards, imagine what Bama and Tua would do to that defense. Really they think they are even a top 25 team in the nation, I chuckle and choke.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Their entire playoff case is four words: "But we beat Auburn."

Last year.

At that point, they extrapolate the data points that go like this:

Boise St beat Oklahoma
App St beat Michigan
Utah beat Alabama
Troy beat LSU
C Michigan beat OK State
UCF beat Auburn

They basically take those same SIX or so data points (there's probably a couple of others the idiots use) and extrapolate those to proof that teams that happened to have a phenomenal day once are somehow now championship contenders because "they showed they can play with the best."

But let's turn it all around on them.

UCF partisans argue thusly:
We beat the team (Auburn) who beat both teams (UGA and Alabama) who played for the championship and "therefore" we are their equal.

Flip side argument:
Auburn lost to LSU who lost to Troy who lost to South Alabama who lost to Georgia State who lost to Tennessee State who lost to 1-10 Tennessee Tech

Therefore.....Tennessee Tech >>>>>>> UCF

And that's the reality. UCF is located power-wise somewhere between Alabama and Tennessee Tech.

Just like 127 other schools who aren't acting like idiots.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
In addition to Vanderbilt, I would compare UCF to Georgia Tech, a team made-up entirely of 2 and 3 star players. They are competitive most years and will generally win 7-8 games. Occasionally, when the conference is down, they will compete for a conference title. They will also score the occasional big upset. However, there is absolutely no chance that they will ever truly compete for a national title. There is simply not enough depth or talent to win 13-15 games a year against power 5 opponents.

If Georgia Tech played UCF's schedule, they would probably go 10-2 most years and every now and then they would flirt with an undefeated schedule. The fact that Georgia Tech lost to USF earlier this year probably doesn't help my argument though.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I can give 3 examples as to why UCF would not be competitive in a major conference.
1. Utah
2. TCU
3. West Virginia

All 3 teams had great seasons before being in a big boy conference. Since joining a better conference those same 3 teams have not had those great seasons.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Their entire playoff case is four words: "But we beat Auburn."

Last year.

At that point, they extrapolate the data points that go like this:

Boise St beat Oklahoma
App St beat Michigan
Utah beat Alabama
Troy beat LSU
C Michigan beat OK State
UCF beat Auburn

They basically take those same SIX or so data points (there's probably a couple of others the idiots use) and extrapolate those to proof that teams that happened to have a phenomenal day once are somehow now championship contenders because "they showed they can play with the best."

But let's turn it all around on them.

UCF partisans argue thusly:
We beat the team (Auburn) who beat both teams (UGA and Alabama) who played for the championship and "therefore" we are their equal.

Flip side argument:
Auburn lost to LSU who lost to Troy who lost to South Alabama who lost to Georgia State who lost to Tennessee State who lost to 1-10 Tennessee Tech

Therefore.....Tennessee Tech >>>>>>> UCF

And that's the reality. UCF is located power-wise somewhere between Alabama and Tennessee Tech.

Just like 127 other schools who aren't acting like idiots.
UCF fans love the transitive theory, but it’s not reality

FF4bama

1st Team
Sep 13, 2012
Right on cue, in the "Devil is lacing up his ice skates" department, ESPN astounds with a rare moment of clarity!

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Love this quote at the end

Danny Kanell loves to prop up the Knights and thinks they could go toe-to-toe with Georgia or Alabama.

I’d love to see Kanell say that while standing behind the Knights’ offensive line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I loved that part... :D

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've been saying this for years: look at the NFL draft.

It is the reason the SEC is the nation's best conference and has been for many years now. It is also the reason UCF isn't a deserving national championship team. Neither was Boise State, Utah, or TCU in the past. It's also why I can't stand the gripes about Alabama's non-conference schedule. We already play one of the toughest schedules in the country every year on just the 8 game conference schedule alone.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I've been saying this for years: look at the NFL draft.

It is the reason the SEC is the nation's best conference and has been for many years now. It is also the reason UCF isn't a deserving national championship team. Neither was Boise State, Utah, or TCU in the past. It's also why I can't stand the gripes about Alabama's non-conference schedule. We already play one of the toughest schedules in the country every year on just the 8 game conference schedule alone.
The ESPN conspiracy. The BCS conspiracy. The CFP Committee conspiracy. Now I can add the NFL conspiracy.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
A great matchup for UCF that will never happen would be for them to play FCS North Dakota State. Right now NDSU is ranked #23 by Sagarin and according to his ratings the game would be a tossup.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.