Lettuce...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Dirty Farm Water

The culprit turned out to be E. coli, a powerful pathogen that had contaminated romaine lettuce grown in Yuma, Arizona, and distributed nationwide. At least 210 people in 36 states were sickened. Five died and 27 suffered kidney failure.

The same strain of E. coli that sickened them was detected in a Yuma canal used to irrigate some crops.

For more than a decade, it’s been clear that there’s a gaping hole in American food safety: Growers aren’t required to test their irrigation water for pathogens such as E. coli. As a result, contaminated water can end up on fruits and vegetables.

After several high-profile disease outbreaks linked to food, Congress in 2011 ordered a fix, and produce growers this year would have begun testing their water under rules crafted by the Obama administration’s Food and Drug Administration.

But six months before people were sickened by the contaminated romaine, President Donald Trump’s FDA – responding to pressure from the farm industry and Trump’s order to eliminate regulations – shelved the water-testing rules for at least four years.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Ah, sounds like the issue was too much government interference. #freethemarket #libertariansagainstmeatinspectors

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i think the real culprit here is the media for not informing people that it could make you sick if you eat produce irrigated with poop water.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
i think the real culprit here is the media for not informing people that it could make you sick if you eat produce irrigated with poop water.
"Florida man smashes TV with hammer, complains that TV is now unresponsive."

"Man in Florida burns own encyclopedia set, is confused why Britannica fails to publish basic reference material."

etc.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
While I am totally against Trump "shelving" water testing procedures, I find it funny that we should need regulations to prevent people from using dirty water. The government does not tell you not to alot of stuff. However people somehow make through their daily lives without accidentally killing themselves or others around them from doing stupid stuff. Why then do businesses need to be told to do such common sense stuff?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
While I am totally against Trump "shelving" water testing procedures, I find it funny that we should need regulations to prevent people from using dirty water. The government does not tell you not to alot of stuff. However people somehow make through their daily lives without accidentally killing themselves or others around them from doing stupid stuff. Why then do businesses need to be told to do such common sense stuff?
“it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - upton sinclair

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Industrialized farming with run off from cattle, hog and chicken growing operations that are adjacent to streams or aquifers insures that irrigated food crops are under constant threat of contamination. In previous cotton growing areas of Alabama it is often the case that well water cannot be utilized on food crops due to DDT contamination many decades after the pesticide was banned. Any knowledgeable prepper will tell us that food and water quality (in some areas) will become a constant threat.
Not meant to sound like a know it all but I believe strongly that food security is going to become more and more of an issue.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Industrialized farming with run off from cattle, hog and chicken growing operations that are adjacent to streams or aquifers insures that irrigated food crops are under constant threat of contamination. In previous cotton growing areas of Alabama it is often the case that well water cannot be utilized on food crops due to DDT contamination many decades after the pesticide was banned. Any knowledgeable prepper will tell us that food and water quality (in some areas) will become a constant threat.
Not meant to sound like a know it all but I believe strongly that food security is going to become more and more of an issue.
i hope this post isn't like a bat-signal for ddt cranks.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.