Miami has been a disaster under Mark Richt

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I thought Richt was a good HC, not a great HC. Now I wonder if he is even a good HC.

It might be accurate to say he “was” a good coach. Then again...the guy won two SEC titles and both just happened to be right after Spurrier left and Meyer’s first year when he had Zook’s leftovers.

But he was also a consistent choker. How often did he lose the most important game of the year? Lost a potential national title shot in 02, lost the SEC title game in 03, 11 and 12, lost the game that would have given them a shot in 07, and his crowning moment winning the SEC in 05, his team didn’t show up and fell way behind WVA and couldn’t win the Sugar Bowl.

Kind of like Pat Dye at the end, he got left behind by new schemes.

saturdaysarebet

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2018
I thought his best chance was with Stafford and Moreno in the same backfield, preseason number one, and they lost three games, one was to Georgia Tech. I thought he under achieved with the talent he had at times.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Here are the national championship winning coaches going backwards to 1990:
17 Saban
16 Swinney
15 Saban
14 Meyer
13 Fisher
12 Saban
11 Saban
10 Chizik
09 Saban
08 Meyer
07 Miles
06 Meyer
05 Brown
04 Carroll
03 Saban & Carroll
02 Tressell
01 Coker
00 Stoops
99 Bowden
98 Fulmer
97 Carr & Osborne
96 Spurrier
95 Osborne
94 Osborne
93 Bowden
92 Stallings
91 Erickson & James
90 McCartney & Ross

What does all this prove? That while everything can come together is a special year for some teams, there are VERY few coaches who produce consistently great teams. Saban, Meyer, Bowden, Osborne, Carroll -- that's rare air. Is Richt better than a Chizik or Coker? I think so, but things have never come together for whatever reason. I would rather roll with Richt's consistently good teams than have a championship under a Chizik and then go 4-8 or whatever the next year.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Not do defend Richt but Miami was a disaster long before he took over. BUT he has done little to correct it. The guy has ZERO ability to discipline a team or run a tight ship. Guy runs a team like he has another full time job. He just does not put in the time or effort. That or he is just to soft to make hard decisions, not sure what his problem is. he just does not run a tight ship, look at his years at UGA.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
Eh, I dunno about "disaster."

His first year there he had them 9-4 and ranked in the top 25 at seasons end.

His second year they won 10 games and his division, went to the Orange Bowl and ended up ranked #13.

Compared to when Miami has been for much of the last 15 years that's pretty darn good.

Now, this season has been a disaster that makes you wonder the direction they're going... But his overall resume is still pretty good.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
More interesting is current situation of football in the state of Florida. Nothing like the days when UM, UF and FSU were fighting it out to be the state champion and move on for a chance to be NC. Who would ever think you would see the day when UCF would out rank them all?

CoachInWaiting

3rd Team
Nov 27, 2017
I don't call this a defense of Richt, but I don't see disaster. As far as discipline, I'm not sure how news of discipline being meted out is evidence of a lack of discipline.

As for his W/L record, this year is going to be a regression, but they are bowl eligible and may still finish with 8 wins if they win out including the bowl. Not what he or Miami wants, but he overachieved his first two years there. If he isn't in the ACC title game in the next 3 years, while consistently bowling and winning 9+ games, I would agree that he has fallen short of expectation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.