55 years ago today - Assassination of John F. Kennedy

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States, was assassinated on Friday, November 22, 1963, at 12:30 p.m. Central Standard Time in Dallas, Texas, while riding in a presidential motorcade through Dealey Plaza.[1] Kennedy was riding with his wife Jacqueline, Texas Governor John Connally, and Connally's wife Nellie when he was fatally shot by former U.S. Marine Lee Harvey Oswald firing in ambush from a nearby building. Governor Connally was seriously wounded in the attack. The motorcade rushed to Parkland Memorial Hospital where President Kennedy was pronounced dead about thirty minutes after the shooting; Connally recovered from his injuries.
Oswald was arrested by the Dallas Police Department 70 minutes after the initial shooting. Oswald was charged under Texas state law with the murder of Kennedy as well as that of Dallas policeman J. D. Tippit, who had been fatally shot a short time after the assassination. At 11:21 a.m. Sunday, November 24, 1963, as live television cameras covered his transfer to the Dallas County Jail, Oswald was fatally shot in the basement of Dallas Police Headquarters by Dallas nightclub operator Jack Ruby. Oswald was taken to Parkland Memorial Hospital where he soon died. Ruby was convicted of Oswald's murder, though it was later overturned on appeal, and Ruby died in prison in 1967 while awaiting a new trial.
After a ten-month investigation, the Warren Commission concluded that Oswald assassinated Kennedy, that Oswald had acted entirely alone, and that Ruby had acted alone in killing Oswald.[2] Kennedy was the eighth US President to die in office and the fourth (following those of Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley) and the most recent to be assassinated. Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson assumed the Presidency upon Kennedy's death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_John_F._Kennedy

One of those events for all old enough to remember exactly where you were when you heard the news.
Some people still dispute the facts of the event.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
One of the most tragic days in the history of the United States. I remember exactly where I was and most thought it was some kind of joke when we first heard it. No joke. I am one of those who will never be convinced Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
One of the most tragic days in the history of the United States. I remember exactly where I was and most thought it was some kind of joke when we first heard it. No joke. I am one of those who will never be convinced Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
Who do you think worked with him?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Over the years there have been all kinds of speculation as to who, or rather what group, would have had a motive, the means and the opportunity to pull off something of this magnitude. The usual groups mentioned: the Mafia, Castro-backed Cubans, KGB operatives, CIA operatives or contract killers hired by the military industrial complex. Take your choice. My prime suspects would be the Mafia since they had supported Kennedy (and some say bought his election in 1960) only to be turned on by the Kennedy Administration led by Robert Kennedy as Attorney General. This is only my opinion and we all know about opinions.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
The keeping of the silence for 55 years is, in my view, the best argument against a conspiracy. How could that possibly have been kept quiet so long.

I think Kennedy was yet another victim of international communism, the most evil political philosophy ever devised by mankind. Bar none.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
The keeping of the silence for 55 years is, in my view, the best argument against a conspiracy. How could that possibly have been kept quiet so long.

I think Kennedy was yet another victim of international communism, the most evil political philosophy ever devised by mankind. Bar none.
Maybe I'm misreading but your two statements seem to be contradictory. :confused:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Maybe I'm misreading but your two statements seem to be contradictory. :confused:
Maybe I wasn't clear.
Oswald acted alone. (How could this secret have been kept secret so long?).
Communism is evil. (An evil, stupid political philosophy inspired a twisted adherent to commit a monstrous evil.)

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Maybe not - unless you buy into a conspiracy of one.
I don’t think he acted alone (he was a meticulous planner but he had to get a lot of things right that day in November); I’m not sure any assistance he may have gotten came from anyone in the US (citizens).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Maybe not - unless you buy into a conspiracy of one.
I don’t think he acted alone (he was a meticulous planner but he had to get a lot of things right that day in November); I’m not sure any assistance he may have gotten came from anyone in the US (citizens).
But you're saying he was the lone shooter.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A tragedy all the way around, and to my mind - the Oliver Stone's of the world who shared this idealized notion of JFK as this morally superior being who never would have gotten us into Vietnam literally trivialize the man's entire existence to what he MIGHT (or might not) have been.

Maybe he withdraws from Vietnam.
Maybe he doesn't.
We will never know.

As far as the assassination goes....I'm compelled by the EVIDENCE that:
a) Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone shooter
b) he acted completely alone

It saddens me that people of my generation (I was 22 when the movie "JFK" came out in 1991) watch that fantasy and believe it basically a documentary of what really happened. I can at least understand people who (as G Robert Blakeney surmised) postulate a conspiracy that involved Oswald killing at the behest of someone else - I don't believe it, but I can understand them.

I cannot understand the mythicists who basically have 27 shooters firing 81 shots from 9 locations, which is about what you get nowadays.

I think a lot of they conspiracy theory stuff is the fact many folks who adopted that were in high school (as my Mom was) when it occurred and it was their "welcome to the cruelty of the world" reality check - and many of them couldn't handle it, so they turned JFK into a peacenik martyr for a cause. Then when they hit 30, they saw their President resign because of Watergate, learned how duplicitous government COULD be and - combined with Vietnam - read the experience back into the Kennedy assassination.

Oh and while it has nothing to do with this thread, OJ killed Ron and Nicole, and he, too, acted alone.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I used to post on a message board where we were discussing the JFK shooting. One guy (who was a bit of a know-it-all who would make some movie reference to just about every situation) gave some quote from the movie supporting the conspiracy and attributed to "Kevin Costner (as Jim Garrison) in JFK".

I responded by saying "I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone"-Kevin Costner (as Crash Davis) in Bull Durham.

I agree we have no idea what he would have done in Vietnam. We don't even know if he would have won in 1964.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I used to post on a message board where we were discussing the JFK shooting. One guy (who was a bit of a know-it-all who would make some movie reference to just about every situation) gave some quote from the movie supporting the conspiracy and attributed to "Kevin Costner (as Jim Garrison) in JFK".

I responded by saying "I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone"-Kevin Costner (as Crash Davis) in Bull Durham.

I agree we have no idea what he would have done in Vietnam. We don't even know if he would have won in 1964.
That's an interesting discussion as well.

The reality, of course, is that Goldwater PROBABLY wins the nomination and loses about as badly as he lost to LBJ. Back in those days the delegate selection thing varied from state to state and usually was done at a state convention. This is important in context because Goldwater's managers had already locked up the bulk of the states with the GOP delegates prior to 1964. They ran 3 primaries that year: NH, Oregon, and California. Lodge won NH on write-ins, Rockefeller won Oregon simply by showing up, and Rocky's new bride.....the one he'd left his wife of 31 years for.......gave birth to his new baby the weekend before the California primary vote.

That would be amusing enough today but in 1964 that was a scandal beyond belief. In the primitive polling of those days, Rockefeller led.....right up until he left CA to be with his bride giving birth.

I think Barry wins the nomination and loses the election - in part because that's what Goldwater himself thought would happen. His own stated goal at the time (per Teddy White's book about the 64 election, and he interviewed everyone involved) was to present a conservative vs liberal idea before the country, and he felt that in the climate of 64 if he could simply lose by 5 points or less that it would help conservatives long-term.

Of course.....even that is speculation.

As far as JFK, I'm sort of in the Tidewater camp, but I've also read book after book on the subject. I began as a one holding to the conspiracy - mostly because right before the 1979 MLB All-Star Game, they played the audio on the news break that sounded four shots. (This was later proven to NOT be the shooting audio). It's simply the EVIDENCE that points me to Oswald alone - along with what we might call Tidewater's "lack of contrary evidence."

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but there's no reason for Oswald to kill Tippitt (among numerous things).

And most of the people who argue the conspiracy take select portions of the Warren Commission testimony (like the timing of the shots) and argue from there.

Bizarrely enough.....in the bigger picture we all have our notions but it doesn't "really" matter, either (solo or conspiracy).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have always thought Oswald did it alone (his own brother thinks he did it and acted alone). 55 years is a long time to keep a secret and we all know that no one can keep a secret. Someone always talks. People have watched JFK so much that they have no idea what is actually fact and what is from Oliver Stone’s brain. Now I will concede there is one group of people that can keep a secret and that is the mafia. Those guys keep secrets.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I have always thought Oswald did it alone (his own brother thinks he did it and acted alone). 55 years is a long time to keep a secret and we all know that no one can keep a secret. Someone always talks. People have watched JFK so much that they have no idea what is actually fact and what is from Oliver Stone’s brain. Now I will concede there is one group of people that can keep a secret and that is the mafia. Those guys keep secrets.
Joe Valachi
Joseph “The Animal” Barboza
Joseph “The Ear” Massino
Salvatore “Sammy the Bull” Gravano
Abe “Kid Twist” Reles
Henry Hill (Goodfellas)
Just to name a few.
I think if there was anything there, it would have leaked by now

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.