Has an SEC team played in snow?

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
Hard to see it, but snow is piled up on the sidelines in the 1964 Sugar Bowl game in which Alabama beat Ole Miss 12-7. It came a heavy snow the day before the game.

We had no TDs that day, just Tim Davis' 4 field goals in the cold. Joe Willie benched and Steve Sloan played QB in his place.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I remember this game. The morning after I was on the hands down best duck hunt ever. The guides were saying they had never seen anything like it in 40 years of hunting. Unbelievably cold 9 below zero after this front came through. Have not been on a hunt since that comes anything close to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
VT fans still hang their hats on that game...they don't remember other debacles!!

And I remember the 64 Sugar Bowl...we lived in Mobile and yes, it snowed on NY's Eve...
I remember being in Lane Stadium (I got a picture of myself coming out of the player's tunnel wearing my Bama hat and University of Alabama t-shirt)

and wondering whether Alabama had ever played in Blacksburg. Turns out they had. One game.September 1969, Bama won 17-13. Every other Bama-VT match up has been in Tuscaloosa or at a neutral site.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
VT fans still hang their hats on that game...they don't remember other debacles!!

And I remember the 64 Sugar Bowl...we lived in Mobile and yes, it snowed on NY's Eve...
on the way home from our 2009 season opener with them at the ga dome, i joked with a couple of v tech dudes on marta that this was payback for the music city bowl. they laughed and said they had been at that game and it was miserable despite their beatdown of us.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Can only imagine. Finally get us in Tuscaloosa and it's in those conditions at the tail end of the DuBose come apart.

Still love Damon Duval to this day though. Frat boy kicker, complete with bleached hair lol.
i went with my brother. it was the first game either of us had gone to since the 92 season. we made the best of the day and were able to catch up with some family we hadn't seen in a long time and had a fun time despite freezing our arses off and watching one of the most lackluster performances i had ever personally witnessed. i was working for patagonia at the time, so was dressed in a way that was actually comfortable during the game.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Amazing to think of snow in Mobile. And to be fair, I don't blame VT fans for hanging their hats on that game. They completely outclassed us in every way. Good for them after some of the beat downs we handed them in the 70s, like the 77-6 game in 1973 in which we rushed for nearly 800 yards.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

We do get snow down here, used to be once every ten years but seems more frequently lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
My mother was at the 1959 Liberty Bowl and said her hand froze to her umbrella.

I recall seeing an Independence Bowl being played in the snow, not sure if SEC was involved.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
My mother was at the 1959 Liberty Bowl and said her hand froze to her umbrella.

I recall seeing an Independence Bowl being played in the snow, not sure if SEC was involved.

I thought about the 1959 Liberty Bowl, but I don't think there was any snow that day. It was bitter cold. Same in the 1982 Liberty Bowl, Coach Bryant's last game.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Yea, I was at that game standing in 6inches of slush since the sleet was clogging the drains. Misery all around.
I was so glad to be sitting in row 2. My seats are in U4 LL row 2. Row 1 was flooded by the end of the game. I sat through that painful 9-0 shutout and lost money because halfway through the game, the guy I sold my other ticket to decided on not staying the night bin TTown that night. Three went 90 bucks down the drain, no pun intended.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.