Hypothetical Question - 1 loss Bama over 1 loss OSU?

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
While I think BAMA will win out, would a 1 loss BAMA team get into the playoff over a 1 loss OSU team?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Hypothetical Question

If they win the SEC title, sure. A close loss to Auburn and thrashing UGA in the SECCG, I don’t se you not getting in.
Well, since Alabama is about to beat Auburn by 40, he probably meant a loss to GA. :biggrin2:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

No worries Bama wins out OSU beats michigan and so OSU and michigam out. Bama, Clemson and ND are going to be in, fight for 4th spot will get interesting. Looks like OU can win out and get in.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

If you win the SEC title, sure. A close loss to Auburn and thrashing UGA in the SECCG, I don’t see you not getting in.
If this Bama team cannot beat this auburn team AT HOME then they have no business being in the playoffs imho.

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM

If this Bama team loses today, they will probably lose the SECCG. To answer the original question, I think a one loss Bama team must win the SEC to have a chance of making the playoff, and it would be an outside chance.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

Unless Bama put members of the local visually challenged school in uniform next Saturday and Jawja run up the score, Bama is in. Jawja has a good offense but their D is not as good as last season. Will be a relatively close game though but Bama will win.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Like everyone has said repeatedly and again tonight:
There is no way, if you watched this game, to honestly say Bama is not one of the four best teams in CFB.
If they should somehow lose to Georgia (who will be ranked #4), they would have the “best” loss of all one- loss teams not named Georgia. OSU has a real bad loss, OSU lost to the 17th ranked team. LSU lost to Bama.
Georgia won’t (couldn’t) steamroll Bama, so I see no way Bama is out of the playoffs. 12 games and none of them even close?
Nope. Bama is in. Only question is will it be one seed (and who will they play) or four seed and play Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Here is how I see it. First, let's say we were to drop the SECCG to UGA (not too likely). Putting us again might cause a riot and the committee might just choose to not do it. That said, I don't see how you have Bama as your clear #1 from the beginning and then say, based on one loss, that they are now worse than a team that you believed to be so far behind them just a few weeks ago. Unless Bama gets boat-raced in the SECCG they will be in regardless.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Michigan getting destroyed helps Bama. Now UGA will most likely be #4 when the new rankings come out. This means that if Bama loses a close to UGA there is no real reason to drop us below 4.

So let’s play this out. Let’s say This weeks rankings are: 1 - Bama, 2 - Clemson, 3 - ND, 4 - UGA, 5 - OU, 6 - LSU, 7- OSU.

UGA beats Bama by 3, everybody else wins. I think Clemson moves to 1, ND to 2, UGA to 3 and Bama falls to 4. How could our only close lose to the #4 team drop us below 4? If it really about the 4 best teams, like it has been so far these first 4 years, then this is how it would play out.

But...

What if ND loses tonight to USC? That would pretty much guarantee that we would be in even with a lose.

What if OSU finds a way to lose to Northwestern next week, or Texas beats OU again? We are in.

What if all 3 happen? We are in and get to crush UCF!!

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Hypothetical Question

One last thing...

I’m kind of getting tired of hearing the phrase “Bama fatigue” when it comes to the playoffs.

Look, we’ve had 4 years of this thing, yes only 4 but, hey, it’s still 4. So far, the committee has done its job and put the 4 best teams in each year. So, until they stop doing their job, I will trust them to continue to put the 4 best teams in the CFP.

Yes, there is Bama fatigue from fans and some sports writers/ personalities. Not from the committee, so far.

The Michigan lose makes it really hard to leave out Bama, not impossible, but hard. If USCw can pull a miracle tonight it will be near impossible to leave Bama out.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

People keep mistakenly thinking “a loss is a loss”. In the eyes of the committee, as they have said in the past, they aren’t all the same.
A loss to a top four team is not the same as a loss to an unranked team. It’s just another factor that they consider and debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

Tough call for the committee. If Georgia wins, you have a 12-1 Bama team that beat every opponent on their regular season schedule by 20+ points. I think they compare favorably to every team 12-1 team in the country , even Georgia if you look strictly at resume, not head to head. The only difference would be other teams are conference champions. If they are looking for the 4 best, they are in . If most deserving, hard to make it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

LSU losing actually hurts.

With our buffers (LSU and WSU) between tOSU gone, it could present a problem should we lose to UGA.

If tOSU is 6th then I would say we are golden

If they are 5th then I would start to worry if we wet the bed.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.