Auburn's avoid humiliation gameplan is nothing new

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Auburn fans ought to be embarrassed by what their staff had in the cards for today. I've never seen a coach hope for a miracle schematically like Malzahn did today. They basically abandoned the conventional passing game by their third possession. Up only 3 at halftime, I was not worried unless the special teams went from train wreck to a colossal meltdown in the second half. They were calling a defeated gameplan. They basically refused to pass the ball downfield, so that wasn't going to survive 3rd quarter Tua.

But this ain't the first time they've done it but this was the first time it was so painfully obvious to even laymen because our offense was just too explosive for their "no big play" defense to keep the score looking respectable to Auburn's fickle boosters. 2015 and 2016 were basically the same gameplans as this one but this time we have Heisman winner at QB instead of respectable journeyman Coker or true freshman Hurts. At least in those years it was theoretically possible given the limited QB play that Auburn could have a puncher's chance.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It was painfully obvious and embarrassing.

Of course, short of our defensive penalties boosting them down the field, I'm not sure they score more than 7. They were playing dirty in that first half, blurring every line. I was so happy to see us come out guns blazing in the second half.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
They ought to be embarrased by the Cut-Blocks, PI/Holding/Mugging, and general dirty play.

It's like they were almost more concerned with wrecking our season going forward than winning.....but IF they could win that way too it would be a bonus.

My memory can be a little faulty at times but I can't ever remember them playing as low down as they did tonight.

It almost had me wanting us to hurt them back..... and that's a horrible way to catch yourself feeling but they were DIRTY!!!

I expect UGA to follow the same plan.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Teams take on the personality of their coach.

Coach Saban is relentless, unsatisfied with less than excellence, hates to lose more than he loves to win, wants every player to achieve their best.

Malzahn is all about trickeration. He is gimmicky and his players know it. He is scared of losing and is neurotic and coaches to not lose. He got way overpaid and is, like many pro athletes, succumbing to the pressure of proving he deserves those big bucks.

This all leads to the war tiggies taking shortcuts (gimmicks) and playing scared (dirty tricks).

... as if we needed another reason to hate (despise, pity, loathe) them.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
They ought to be embarrased by the Cut-Blocks, PI/Holding/Mugging, and general dirty play.
It's like they were almost more concerned with wrecking our season going forward than winning.....but IF they could win that way too it would be a bonus.

My memory can be a little faulty at times but I can't ever remember them playing as low down as they did tonight.
It almost had me wanting us to hurt them back..... and that's a horrible way to catch yourself feeling but they were DIRTY!!!
I expect UGA to follow the same plan.
Yeah, they way they were slinging our players to the ground is obviously with the intent of injuring our guys.

They have a history of doing this. Nick Fairley put several players out this way. McElroy was injured in the 2010 Iron Bowl that way...:rolleyes:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
52-21 humiliation was not avoided. They need a new plan LOL. Fact is when they sat on the ball before the half, told me they knew they were beaten, just wanted to play it as close as they could. They should have seen citadel tape, if it is close at half, we open it up in second half. Gus bus went into a ditch. Call the tow truck aubs, you be stuck in mediocrity for years to come. Last years win cemented Gus and your future for years. hehe

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
So was it the barn's "avoid humiliation gameplan" to just burn as much clock as possible? Notice with 10-12 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, the barn (down 3 scores) quit throwing or looking for a quick score. They went on a 3-5 minute drive (all runs and no hurry up) that didn't produce any points. They just didn't want bama to get the ball back and score again (or get it back as few a times as possible). Seems their plan worked well for them?

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
So was it the barn's "avoid humiliation gameplan" to just burn as much clock as possible? Notice with 10-12 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, the barn (down 3 scores) quit throwing or looking for a quick score. They went on a 3-5 minute drive (all runs and no hurry up) that didn't produce any points. They just didn't want bama to get the ball back and score again (or get it back as few a times as possible). Seems their plan worked well for them?
Yes they kept it to a 31 point win instead of a 41 point win bahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They were practically doing this in the first half and if not for a 3rd down stop where half their DL was offsides leading into a blocked punt and proceeding gadget play TD then it would've been more obvious to those who only follow the scoreboard. Auburn was basically praying for miracle the entire game after the first drive established that they were going to struggle to execute a conventional pass offense. To be sure, most of Stidham's yards came off a bust by Wilson on 3rd and long and a push off by Slaton for a long touchdown score. Their other touchdown pass was a double pass thrown by Davis where once again Wilson busted a backside contain assignment that he would've likely intercepted given his ability to close on a pass...if he would've just stayed at home long enough to see the throw develop.

Notice how for most of the game they had about the same amount of plays but far less production. They were running only ~3ypc but that is just good enough to string together conversions to bleed minutes off the clock. This was their strategy all game. I reckon it will be UGA's strategy this Saturday too. We've been around in this Saban era long enough to see our team become the one people TOPball against instead of the other way around.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They were practically doing this in the first half and if not for a 3rd down stop where half their DL was offsides leading into a blocked punt and proceeding gadget play TD then it would've been more obvious to those who only follow the scoreboard. Auburn was basically praying for miracle the entire game after the first drive established that they were going to struggle to execute a conventional pass offense. To be sure, most of Stidham's yards came off a bust by Wilson on 3rd and long and a push off by Slaton for a long touchdown score. Their other touchdown pass was a double pass thrown by Davis where once again Wilson busted a backside contain assignment that he would've likely intercepted given his ability to close on a pass...if he would've just stayed at home long enough to see the throw develop.

Notice how for most of the game they had about the same amount of plays but far less production. They were running only ~3ypc but that is just good enough to string together conversions to bleed minutes off the clock. This was their strategy all game. I reckon it will be UGA's strategy this Saturday too. We've been around in this Saban era long enough to see our team become the one people TOPball against instead of the other way around.
it was a little frustrating watching the first half because it was blindingly obvious that we were vastly superior in every aspect, and it was also blindingly obvious they were playing dirty (cheap shots, lining up off sides, blatant holding) and the refs weren't going to do anything to stop it.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
The offense was a mess to begin with. Everyone knows what they will do, that's why they resorted to trick plays.
Been that way for a while now, especially with Malzahn involved with the program. Aside from miracles in 2010 and 2013, what have they really done?

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Been that way for a while now, especially with Malzahn involved with the program. Aside from miracles in 2010 and 2013, what have they really done?
He ended up losing four games last year with a team that was national title level good. I hope they retain him for several more years.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.