Question: Is Bama being too stubborn trying to run between the tackles?

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
This an odd thing for me to even think, but watching the first half of the Iron Bowl I told the television and anyone else that would listen that the coaches needed to trust Tua and put the game in his hands. They needed to stop trying to cram the ball up the middle when it clearly wasn't working. I lost my mind on the 3rd and 3 when they ran it. The best QB in the sport and the best WR group in the sport are standing on the field and you run it on third and three?

I'm a little stunned typing this since I am an old school ground and pound guy, and I love defense. I cut my teeth as a fan watching those great Gene Stallings teams of the early 1990's. I just don't think this particular OL is great at run blocking between the tackles, and I get frustrated watching the offense sometimes. I understand the need for balance, but when it's not working shouldn't Bama just sling it? I still can't believe I'm typing this.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I hear you. I love the run and great defense, but I was sitting in the stands wondering why we continued to run up the middle,especially that draw on 3rd and 3.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have to balance taking what the defense gives you with keeping the defense honest.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It seems that way. But Brown isn't 100% and that had an impact today. Plus AU played with a lot of fire, and were making several shoe string tackles. They kept us from breaking the long runs. But they couldn't stop Tua.

BadgerTidefan

1st Team
Dec 2, 2006
Jennings, FL
Answer in my opinion is YES. I was wondering in the first half what we were thinking. My thinking is pass to open up the run. Not every series, but many of the first half we were very predictable on first down. This wasn't the first time we looked like that.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018
Running up the middle keeps the D lineman honest. They need to know that any space they vacate is a hole that the running back can run through. Plus, the linebackers know that they may need to plug a gap and make a tackle--gives them something to think about other than popping up in front of a slot receiver.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
This an odd thing for me to even think, but watching the first half of the Iron Bowl I told the television and anyone else that would listen that the coaches needed to trust Tua and put the game in his hands. They needed to stop trying to cram the ball up the middle when it clearly wasn't working. I lost my mind on the 3rd and 3 when they ran it. The best QB in the sport and the best WR group in the sport are standing on the field and you run it on third and three?

I'm a little stunned typing this since I am an old school ground and pound guy, and I love defense. I cut my teeth as a fan watching those great Gene Stallings teams of the early 1990's. I just don't think this particular OL is great at run blocking between the tackles, and I get frustrated watching the offense sometimes. I understand the need for balance, but when it's not working shouldn't Bama just sling it? I still can't believe I'm typing this.
I'm old school too, but, I think the repeated hammering up the middle encouraged Auburn's line to cheat a little and pull in. Helps set up our passing game. Doesn't always work, but sometimes they do pull in and then Bam... good passing play.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I really really hate to be "that guy" but bama's offense set the all time bama record for points this year and the SEC record for 50 point games in a season. Whatever theyre doin is working. keep doin it.

oh BTW if bama plays 3 more games and avg's 45 a game they'll set the NCAA record for points in a season as well.

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I love our passing game/Tua/receivers. But we have to be able to run the ball more effectively when we play UGA and whomever we play in the playoffs.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Our best play is Tua dropping back and going through his reads tbh. But gotta keep a balanced attack for the most part. I do think the 3rd down run when it was 3rd and 3 was a little weird.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I love our passing game/Tua/receivers. But we have to be able to run the ball more effectively when we play UGA and whomever we play in the playoffs.
Not really. You have run well enough to keep defenses honest. To be honest, that is all that they need to do to keep defenses from pinning their ears back and coming after Tua on every play.

Just keep doing what you are doing - 3 wins from #18.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The runs up the middle opened up the short perimeter passing game in the second. Which in turn opened up the deep sideline routes. Nothing is as simple as it seems anymore. Three yards and a pound of dust doesn’t work with 8 in the box. But the passing game does not work If you cant keep the lbs guessing.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.