JessN: Auburn wrap-up: Necessary or not, Bama makes its statement

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
In the first half! Saban had his timeouts and should not have let him run out the clock!
They had been having us to that point with their inside running game. Our o was not clicking, the feel of the game definitely leads me to believe he did the right thing. It felt right when CNS did it is all I'm saying

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
In the first half! Saban had his timeouts and should not have let him run out the clock!
I have no issue with how Saban ended the first half. Take a look at the three "drives" just before that one ...

1) Bama gets a punt blocked deep in its own territory,
2) AU scores a touchdown off a trick play with Alabama sort of chasing its tail,
3) Bama goes three-and-out.

Bama did not have the momentum there. Auburn had all of it. Bama had not had a chance to make its halftime adjustments, and it still had a lead. If you start calling timeouts right there and Auburn busts off another playground special, you're now going to the half without the lead and that's a completely different set of circumstances at that point in this game.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I will not use the words I was using yesterday, but I've rarely been as royally ticked off as I was when Gus played that high school garbage crap that he drew up for yesterday. I had folks I was texting not believing the level of vitriol I was firing off because I have ZERO respect for that horse manure junk that Gus Malzahn calls coaching football. I've always thought he was a bit of a joke as a football coach anyway and yesterday was the seminal moment of validation as to what a putz he REALLY is as a coach.

I totally understand when razzle dazzle plays like the Music City Miracle are invoked. You use them in desperate times of win or lose. I mean, even we did that against Clemson two years ago on fourth day, the Ardarius Stewart pass. So it's not the notion of one of those plays somehow being against the spirit of the game.

But the Riddler yesterday put on a clinic of "Plays I Drew Up On My I Phone While Taking a Dump."

Remember the play when the guy got knocked out of bounds and the ball flew up in the air and the lineman "recovered" it? It would have served Gus right as the epitaph to a (mostly) mediocre coaching career had that ball flown into the hands of our DB and he raced the entire way for a touchdown. I've never been one of those Alabama fans who by instinct hates Auburn or thinks everything they do is wrong or crooked or anything. I'm as fair and impartial a fan as you're ever going to find as I attempt to be in all things.

But I had a visceral level of hatred for that kind of habberdashery yesterday, I will NEVER respect that, and anyone who thinks THAT is football needs to be grinded into mince meat and deposited in the smelliest Porta-John in Opelika.

Remember the 2009 game in JHS? Do you remember what happened in his first year as OC?

After getting a first down, they ran a misdirection pitch to Zachary, who beat his only guy for a touchdown. As much as I don't like that stuff, at least that was straight up and, okay, you got us.

Then their kicker pulled some trickery and faked his way back to kickoff and they got an onsides kick.

When we fell behind, 14-0, I was at work that day and asked about it. I said, "You realize that a team that does that stuff that early is going to lose, right? They just informed everyone that they can't win the game straight up."

That was utterly pathetic yesterday. "Hey, we can't beat you at football so let's change the name of the game into some sort of nonsense and snicker when we score."

In all honesty, I was in grievance mode from that double pass until that Auburn player got hurt.

I don't respect that kind of "football" and I damn sure don't respect the sissies who run such plays, either.

Line up and play football or get out of the game.
right on. i was in the same place from the buggs injury and waddle cheap shot onward.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
There is some legitimate anti-gus sentiment in this article. I don't think I've ever seen him so sharply state his thoughts on any coach in this way. It was lovely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'll re-link some of my old Phil Fulmer columns circa 2000. (g)

Seriously though, with Gus it's all about what football is about as a sport and how he has taken the concept of non-conformity to ridiculous levels. There are places as a sport that, if we go there, we're not football anymore, all in the name of creating artificial excitement or scoring pace. Malzahn's entire career has been, not about football acumen, but in attacking the rulebook and finding loopholes. Bryant did a lot of that here, too -- and once those loopholes were closed, he could still win, because he was actually a football coach.

I think we forget sometimes how hard it was to play Malzahn back around 2009-2012 before the NCAA finally was pressured into realizing that it's not good sportsmanship to allow game outcomes to be based on how well you can get officials out of position. The ready-for-play rules, the substitution rules, the illegal man downfield rules, none of those are about your opponent; they're all about pushing envelopes that were never meant to be pushed.

About that same time, the A-11 offense started rising in popularity around high schools and the NCAA had to do something before that got up to the collegiate level. Gus' trick play to Carlson last night is straight out of that playbook (along with the one the receiver fumbled and the lineman recovered).

I know Auburn fans who are in Malzahn's corner like to jump up and down and laugh about the trickery and the "genius" and love teasing opponents about the level of mayhem on the field, because it leaves them thinking they got one over on the rest of us. The problem is, if that's what you want football to be about, it's no longer about who the best program is or who recruits the best players or develops them or teaches them or (especially) prepares them for an NFL future; it's about chaos theory and "gotcha" plays and a guy whose philosophy is built around taking advantage of the officiating crew. If that's where people want football to go, get me off that bus. Fortunately enough, there's a combination of backlash among other coaches in the industry combined with Malzahn simply not being anything more than a decent head coach and when combined, it's going to result in his exit. Most Auburn fans I know right now -- and it's not even close -- wanted him gone prior to yesterday. I haven't talked with many of them today but that was such a display of ineptitude yesterday combined with, well, just plain ol' quitting that I can't believe many changed their minds.

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
"Alabama basically just had to wait to survive the storm on its own, then adjust to the silliness."

Exactly how does a team and coaching staff 'adjust to silliness'?

Been wrestling with that one for awhile...
:biggrin:

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
"Alabama basically just had to wait to survive the storm on its own, then adjust to the silliness."

Exactly how does a team and coaching staff 'adjust to silliness'?

Been wrestling with that one for awhile...
[emoji3]
Like with children who got into the candy dish....they wait for the other kids to wear themselves out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am still angry over Gus’ weird comment about the hold. “you don’t call that in the Iron Bowl”. Really Gus? Does he even know or understand football?

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
I am still angry over Gus’ weird comment about the hold. “you don’t call that in the Iron Bowl”. Really Gus? Does he even know or understand football?
I was incredulous after that statement came out of his mouth. So, on scoring/successful plays, rules are null and void? It is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard a head coach say.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They got away with all kinds of foolishness in 2013. Despite our inability to convert 3rd and short or 4th and short in that game, and our kicking woes, they won that game due to the refs failing to call illegal man downfield on 2 of their TDs. He no doubt believed that was to be the norm in our game. IOW, penalties on scoring plays are not to be called, especially explosive ones.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I have no issue with how Saban ended the first half. Take a look at the three "drives" just before that one ...

1) Bama gets a punt blocked deep in its own territory,
2) AU scores a touchdown off a trick play with Alabama sort of chasing its tail,
3) Bama goes three-and-out.

Bama did not have the momentum there. Auburn had all of it. Bama had not had a chance to make its halftime adjustments, and it still had a lead. If you start calling timeouts right there and Auburn busts off another playground special, you're now going to the half without the lead and that's a completely different set of circumstances at that point in this game.
And Saban couldn't wait to get into the locker room to peel the paint off the same walls that were freshly painted after last weekend's halftime...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I dunno, I found that entire interview eminently entertaining - he was so ticked off, knowing that blowout might well have cost him his cushy gig.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.