Oklahoma or Ohio State in the playoffs?

Who gets #4 spot in the playoffs?

• Total voters

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Depends on the outcomes (and eye tests) next weekend.
If Okie squeaks by Texas and OSU barely beats NU - OU
If both win handily - OU
If OU wins handily and OSU ekes ouT a win - OU
IF OU squeaks by and OSU romps - OSU
IF Bama loses a close one to Georgia they are both gonna be mad.
I’ve said it before (because the committee has said it) - the “quality” of the loss matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
This is a really tough call.

Oklahoma has the #1 Scoring and #1 Total Offense in the country. They have 1 close 3-point loss to a Texas team who is about to be ranked around #10.

Oklahoma also has an ABYSMAL defense ranked #99 in Scoring and #111 in Total Defense. This has led to them having 4 games they BARELY won by margins of 7(in OT), 5, 1, and 3 points. Plus that 1 point loss was because The Mullet at OSU went for 2 instead of going to OT.

Ohio State has the #7 Scoring and #2 Total Offense in the country. They also have the best win by DESTROYING a #4 Michigan team who had a Top 3 Defense going into the game.

Ohio State also has a less than ideal Defense prone to big plays BUT they are still WAY more competent than Oklahoma and are ranked #56 in Scoring Defense and #67 in Total Defense.

The problem though is they have yet again another pretty much unforgivable loss....this time by 29 points!!! to a 6-6 Purdue team??? They also barely beat PSU by 1, Nebraska (4-8) by 5, and Maryland by 1 yet again because a HC went for 2 instead of going to OT.

Both teams have their pluses and merits but they also both have plenty of Warts.

Jmo I think that tOSU is the the better more complete team than Oklahoma right now. They at least TRY to play Defense where Oklahoma looks like circus clowns falling all over themselves.

But IF Oklahoma beats Texas in the Big12CG avenging their only loss I think the CFP Committee will choose them at #4 and leave tOSU out at #5 AGAIN because of the just inexplicable blowout loss to Purdue.

This is going to be one of the most heated debates of the CFP era and especially is tOSU beats Northwestern by 40-50+ points and say Oklahoma escapes with another ugly shootout type win like 55-54.

Last edited:

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
If we beat the only team to beat us ( only by 3), a team currently ranked 14th I think, that should trump a NW win combined with the Purdue train wreck TOSU experienced. If, & it's a big if, we get in at #4 and we play you guys at JerryWorld, a Tua/KM matchup will be the hottest ticket in the playoffs. One thing I think we have going for us and this is only one man's opinion...I think a lot of teams take the field assuming a loss vs Alabama. OU will not be intimated or in awe. We may lose but we will be competitive.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you want REAL chaos, just let OU and Ohio State BOTH lose and we blow out Georgia.

How then do you NOT put UCF in the playoff? Everyone would have two losses.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If we beat the only team to beat us ( only by 3), a team currently ranked 14th I think, that should trump a NW win combined with the Purdue train wreck TOSU experienced. If, & it's a big if, we get in at #4 and we play you guys at JerryWorld, a Tua/KM matchup will be the hottest ticket in the playoffs. One thing I think we have going for us and this is only one man's opinion...I think a lot of teams take the field assuming a loss vs Alabama. OU will not be intimated or in awe. We may lose but we will be competitive.

I hate both OU and Ohio St, but I can buy this argument.

However, I think we'd play in Miami based on that distance thing.

And while what you say is true about not taking the field beaten automatically......it's better for us for the Jedi Master to have longer to get ready for that popgun offense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If UCF, tOSU, UGA, and OU all lose....You almost are looking at a 3 loss Florida team being in the playoffs
Nah, not really.

Because UGA beat Florida pretty handily. (I get what you're saying, but it isn't going to happen).

In fact - if UGA loses a CLOSE one in that scenario, I could see them advancing.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
As much as I hate to say it ...... the Buckeyes. Oklahoma doesn't pass the "eye test" with no defense!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think NOW is the time we have to ask the question about the, er, elephant in the room:

Does the CFB committee punish Ohio State for the Urban Meyer fiasco?

(Anyone who says this isn't in their minds subconsciously is not human).

I will agree in advance it is NOT fair to the players or fans or school.

But that 29-point loss to Purdue gives them substantial cover.

I think OU is the better offense, Ohio St is the better TEAM.

But I also think the committee could do everyone a favor and demolish the whole "cartel" argument by putting UCF in the tournament.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
"Popcorn offense"...the last time we played you guys we hung 45 on you and there is no comparison in that Sooner O and this edition. You might beat us and hang 60 on us doing it but you'll probably give up at least 40. This is by any definition a generational offensive scheme. It would be fun to watch.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
"Popcorn offense"...the last time we played you guys we hung 45 on you and there is no comparison in that Sooner O and this edition. You might beat us and hang 60 on us doing it but you'll probably give up at least 40. This is by any definition a generational offensive scheme. It would be fun to watch.
Agreed. We'd probably win because we would stop you guys at least a few times. I just don't see your defense stopping us. I hope it happens.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
In his post game presser yesterday Gary Patterson was asked about facing OU and TOSU.The Frogs played both this year. Patterson said and I paraphrase...I'd play Ohio State tomorrow. Basically, he wants no part of trying to defense OU. It's sad that we are fielding a generational 11 on each side of the ball for entirely opposing reasons. Watching OU is not fun...its nerve racking.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
I think OU will put up gaudy numbers against the short horns in a 60 something to 40 something game. OSU's problem is their lack luster opposition next week. Beating NW doesn't impress anyone unless you win by 40+ which won't happen. OU makes it to the big dance.

owenfieldreams

Big-12 All American
Sep 8, 2002
galveston tx. usa
delpapabud.com
People forget until these last 2 games the pundits were slamming TOSU's running game saying their O was one- dimensional. I can assure the Sooner O is not one-dimensional. Our balance is incredible and our YPP is off the charts. We have 2/3 of a team but our D is pathetic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.