Oklahoma or Ohio State in the playoffs?

Who gets #4 spot in the playoffs?

• Total voters

WishIwasInBama

1st Team
Jul 17, 2005
Okinawa Japan
Not necessarily true. Committee wouldn’t put Bama at a disadvantage fan wise. If OK goes and we play them then it would be in Miami.
I thought I read somewhere that the 1 seed could choose under certain circumstances. I can't find it anywhere but I seem to remember that Dabo chose the Sugar Bowl last year (even though it was much closer to Bama) because it was a closer drive for their fans. I could be misremembering it but that's how I thought it played out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I voted for OSU because - well, you get it. I am just so happy that we beat Michigan.

If the committee puts us in the playoffs, I think that we will be competitive. If the committee were to choose the Sooners, they would also be competitive. I won't argue for either, but in my opinion this one is going to be a tough choice for the committee. Both have strengths, and both have serious flaws - and either will lose by 20+ points to Alabama in the first round.

So, I am just going to enjoy the glow of the UM win for a while and think about the CFP after the championship games have been played.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I want to see Oklahoma get in the playoffs for a couple reasons. 1) it means they had beaten TX which always makes me happy when UT loses. 2) I want to see Oklahoma play against a real defense. I’m quite certain they will score some points, but probably not more than 24. Bama could put up 60+ on OU.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
I believe OSU played up to their potential for once against Michigan. Overall I think they are a better team than OU. BUT I can't ignore the rest of the season. So inconsistent which reflects either poor coaching or the turmoil. I don't know which. Laying a rotten egg against Purdue hurts. OU has poor coaching on the defense, but overall they do play consistently well week end and week out. At the beginning of the season it was no question the team I "feared" most facing in the playoffs was OSU. I saw that team for the first time Saturday. I think the better team is still OSU, but the team that probably deserves it, IF they beat UT convincingly, is OU. I'm conflicted lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think your best five teams in order are Bama, Clemson, Georgia, OSU and OU. If UGA wins next weekend it would be Clemson, Georgia, OSU, Bama. If we win then Georgia is out. So my points, ND should not be in the picture until they get into a conference regardless of their record ESPECIALLY given the fact that they are not in the top 5 best teams in the country IMHO. They would be an underdog to any of the 5 teams I mentioned for a reason - they aren't that good. If everyone in my top five win (except UGA of course) then we play OU and Clemson plays OSU in the semis.

But this is all for naught since everyone gives ND a pass. Therefore, we get a heck of a re-match against the Bucs and Clempson runs the Domers out of the building in the semis.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Frankly, Notre Drama should be included in this poll. No way do they look like the third best team in the country. Struggle win . . . a lot this year.
I agree with this completely. Assuming everything goes chalk next weekend, then I would argue that Notre Dame is by far the weakest team between us, Clemson, Notre Dame, OSU and Oklahoma. What's worse is that Clemson, in my opinion, would benefit from being #2 since Notre Dame is sitting at #3 and that's most likely who they would play. Meanwhile, we would play either OSU or Oklahoma who are much more dangerous teams. Us versus Notre Dame would be a replay of the Michigan St. game 3 years ago.

wishbonesooner

1st Team
Jun 26, 2001
Shawnee, OK USA
A couple weeks ago, I was thinking I wanted no part of a playoff, why get embarrassed? But now, my old Sooner pride says, what the hell, lets see how these good defenses handles a wide open assault. If we get drilled, we'll shake hands and say good game. I always hope Bama and the Sooners get a chance to line up and get after it. Tua vs Murray on the same field, who wouldnt want that?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Fans of both schools are huge Alabama fans this weekend. They both get left out if Alabama loses in a close game.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I think OU gets in the same reason OSU was left out last year. Their loss to Purdue was so bad. It wasn't a close loss or a fluke loss. Also they looked horrible against Maryland. If they go by full body of work, OSU won't get in.... IMHO

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I think OU gets in the same reason OSU was left out last year. Their loss to Purdue was so bad. It wasn't a close loss or a fluke loss. Also they looked horrible against Maryland. If they go by full body of work, OSU won't get in.... IMHO
I agree. Texas is only marginally better than Purdue (they “whipped” Kansas by seven points), but Okie has to beat them badly because OSU will curb stomp NU. A close OU win and they may get left out (Army says hi).
Close victories by these two contenders will create a nightmare for the committee unless Bama loses a close game. IMO I think that’s what the committee would actually prefer.
Plain and simple - a one loss Bama >>>>>>>>> a one loss OSU or OU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
I would favor OU over Ohio State if I was on the committee. Though I would probably pick OSU if they were to play each other. OSU has just been too inconsistent for my taste this year, and it’s hard for me to look past that Purdue loss. It’s a tough decision. I think it really comes down to how much you weigh “best” team vs most deserving.

Notre Dame is better than most think, but they’re still the weakest of the possible playoff teams. It’s a little unfair we’ll probably have to play a tougher opponent than Clemson if the committee doesn’t punish ND for not playing a championship game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I doubt it happens, but I also would not be terribly surprised to see ND fall to #4 regardless.
They will be #3 this week as the committee will want to make it clear that they are putting ND in the field of 4, but next week - very possible.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Personally, I'd love to see a rematch between Coach Saban and Coach Meyer.

Aren't they both considered to be the #1 and #2 best head coaches currently active?

I'll be pulling for both teams going forward over all others. :wink:

TheTradition

All-SEC
Nov 6, 2010
Alabaster, AL
Does anyone know what the exact rule is regarding the #1 seed and the geographical disadvantage? Right now most have it projected as Bama vs Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. To me that puts us at more of a geographical disadvantage than the Orange Bowl in Miami with them being so close. Just wondering if we get any say in it or if it’s automatically the closest location.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Personally, I'll be pulling for both Tejas and Northwestern this weekend, so my awesome UCF Knights can get in the playoff and prove that college football is "fair." And isn't that what we all really want? A "fair" outcome?
UCF has won like 50 games back to back. It's been like six years since they lost. In fact, I don't recall UCF ever losing a football game. Seriously, can anyone remember who was the last team to beat the Knights?

(Of course the fact nobody remembers who beat UCF last is that UCF is such a nobody that no one outside of Orlando even follows them.)

On a serious note, I think that OU is probably deserving of the 4th spot (assuming Bama, Clemson, tOSU, and UCF and OU all win). tOSU has the highest upside, but have been terrible inconsistent (Purdue and Maryland come to mind). OU is completely defenseless, but as a team have been consistent.

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Does anyone know what the exact rule is regarding the #1 seed and the geographical disadvantage? Right now most have it projected as Bama vs Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. To me that puts us at more of a geographical disadvantage than the Orange Bowl in Miami with them being so close. Just wondering if we get any say in it or if it’s automatically the closest location.
It seems that if OU is our opponent, they would send us to Miami because Dallas would actually put us at a disadvantage.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Here is what the college football playoffs website says

When assigning teams to the two sites, the selection committee will place the top two seeds at the most advantageous sites, weighing criteria such as convenience of travel for its fans, home-crowd advantage or disadvantage and general familiarity with the host city and its stadium. Preference will go to the No. 1 seed

So we would probably go to Miami unless CNS decided otherwise?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.