Clemson
Notre Dame

Other Contenders:
UGA (if they beat us)
Oklahoma
Ohio State
UCF (!!!)
Anyone else?

So, assuming the above is "the list" of who is available or already all but locked in, does OU or OSU take spot 4 and why?
IF Georgia beats Bama, there's no question UGA is in the Playoff regardless of what OU and Tosu does in their conference championships. The Buckeyes spanking at the hands of an unranked Purdue team will kill their chances with the committee - it's a rewind of 2017.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
If the question (as I read it) is who will get in I think it's Ohio State.

I think the committee will love the trashing of Michigan. I think they love teams "peaking at the right time." I think they'll continue to build momentum by crushing a vastly inferior opponent in the conference championship. I think it's clear the coaches on the committee really don't like Oklahoma's terrible defense.

My guess -- Oklahoma is 5 and Ohio State is 6 in this weeks poll. After Oklahoma hangs on to beat Texas 51-48 and Ohio State obliterates Northwestern 52-3 OSU jumps OU just like they jumped the Big XII in 2014.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
IF Georgia beats Bama, there's no question UGA is in the Playoff regardless of what OU and Tosu does in their conference championships. The Buckeyes spanking at the hands of an unranked Purdue team will kill their chances with the committee - it's a rewind of 2017.
If UGA beats Alabama I honestly think it's 1. Clemson 2. ND 3. UGA and 4. Alabama and OU and OSU are both out.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Maybe we should ask who Alabama wants in the CFP?

A week after the Heisman Trophy presentation, book OU .v. OSU in Atlanta with the winner getting the 4th spot in CFP.

Sarcasm aside.

OU:
Pro: Better and more explosive offense. Only loss was a close game .v. a ranked Texas team.
Con: Did they actually play anyone with a pulse? Maybe Texas/WVU. That's it.

OSU:
Pro: Better all-around team. Played, imo, a better schedule. Have the better wins.
Con: Eye sore of a loss for a SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR.

Both teams would present challenges to Bama, one this Crimson Tide team would look forward to facing. OU has the better chance at losing. OU beating Texas > OSU beating NW.

Sorry B1G (no disrespect), but if OU beats Texas, they would be my pick for #4 in the playoffs.

With that said, Bama has a bone to pick with BOTH OSU/OU so, I want either. But a part of me wants UCF if for nothing else, to run them off the field.

Either way, OU/OSU handle your business this weekend and make the committee job a living hades.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
A two loss non-conference winner Georgia will not get in over Oklahoma or Ohis State if they win. I do think their is a possibility that a conference winner and a one loss Oklahoma or Ohio State will possibly jump Notre Dame setting up a Alabama/Notre Dame and a Clemson/Okie or OSU semifinal game. At least that is what I am hoping for since I have always hated ND.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I keep going back and forth on this. I really think Ohio State should try to run up the score this weekend. If they struggle at all and OU wins I think they're out of luck. But if they shut out North Western or at least blow them out and OU wins a close one then I could see them jumping OU.

The rankings tonight will be telling though.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
OU was in last year. Ohio State wasn't. Both win w/decent showing, Ohio State's turn. That's my science based answer/guess.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Oklahoma seems like the “most deserving,” while Ohio State is the “best team.”

Typically that ugly Purdue loss would be an albatross around the Buckeyes’ neck. But I think having the big win over Michigan and only ONE loss (unlike two last year) makes up for that.

Oklahoma’s lack of defense will be their undoing. I think we will hear the term “balanced” a lot when they put Ohio State #4.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the Sooners can lock this up if they manage to keep Texas under 30 points this weekend while scoring 50+. It will remind the committee of their dominant offense and make them wonder if OU might not be able to play some defense in the playoffs.

But, if OSU wins by 30 and Texas wins another 52-50 type shootout, I think that the committee will put the Buckeyes in. OSU will look like they are peaking at the right time while the Sooners will look the same as they have looked all season - good offense, no defense.

Either way, I'll accept our fate. I'll be very happy if we get in and somewhat less happy, but still happy, if we do not.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Gotta think with OU being #5 that they are if they win and don't look ugly doing it. Idk what it would take from Ohio State to jump them at that point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.