Question: What can we expect from Georgia in the SEC Championship Game?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
We're ranked 101 in sacks and 118 in tackles for loss. I'm not sure if those stats take into consideration last Saturday's game, but nevertheless they're pathetic.

The key is to disrupt Tua's timing and put him on the ground enough times to give him something to consider - otherwise we're toast.

I've read through almost all posts in this thread and there's one misconception that needs correction, because it will have an impact on this game. Some believe Georgia's RB's (Holyfield & Swift) are not producing at the same level as Michel and Chubb. Statistics don't bear this out. This perception is based on the beginning of the season when Swift was injured (recovering from double groin surgery). Below is an excerpt from Chip Towers column in the AJC:

• Many analysts point to the Bulldogs no longer having Nick Chubb and Sony Michel to run the football like they did last year, when they gave Bama and everybody else fits. But Georgia is actually running the ball at an almost identical click to last year: 2017 — 550 carries, 3,188 yards (5.8 ypc), 35TDs; 2018: 498 carries, 3,118 yards, (6.3 ypc), 29 TDs.
Yeah, from what I’ve seen of Georgia, which is not much, Holyfield in particular is an amazing back. I remember Swift being good last year. The Dawgs haven’t lost much if any at RB.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
IMO, GA's running game is better this year than it was last year. GA's problem is not its offense. Even so, Alabama's offense is better.

Then you compare the defenses and it gets ugly. :eek2:

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
This is spot on. Given your inability to pressure QBs to date, I think that you are going to have to send 6 to really get to Tua. Send 4 and he has all day. Send 5 and you make him move off of his spot and hope for the best. Send 6 - you better get there or it is a TD.
I did not realize this until I saw your post. Looked it up and UGA currently 101st in NCAA in team sacks, which is not good. It's a catch 22 for UGA. They certainly don't want to give Tua time, but by the same token if you haven't figured out how to get to the qb by now, maybe against a great mobile qb with a very good OL isn't the best time to try something new.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Alabama's offensive line was outstanding against Auburn, who has a great front seven. Hopefully that continues this week.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Provided Deonte Brown and Leatherwood are fully healthy, this offensive line has had a major upgrade over the last time these two teams played. Our team as a whole was so banged up last year compared to now.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I have a sick feeling we are going to struggle covering guys coming out of the backfield. Mack & Moses have to have good games.
This is my biggest fear. If we are having to blitz LBs a lot, UGA is smart enough to swing the backs out and play in space. Also, this is probably the best ground attack we have seen in two years and our front seven is not as good as stopping the run as in years past. Stats are not horribly different, but we've had more busts this year than in years past. Against UGA that will spell TDs.

Defensively, UGA is probably the 3rd best overall D we have faced behind MSU and LSU. Their DL is probably 4th best behind MSU, AU, and LSU. Should be a repeat of the AU game.

The key will be to start fast, IMO. If we get ahead of UGA, they will get off their gameplan just like the LSU game.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Tech and UMass are atrocious. I thought that The Citadel played harder than either one of them. Tech looked like a JUCO team on Saturday. I'm surprised that Paul Johnson is still employed there at this point.
Yeah we're hoping Paul Johnson gets a contract extension! ;-)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
This is my biggest fear. If we are having to blitz LBs a lot, UGA is smart enough to swing the backs out and play in space. Also, this is probably the best ground attack we have seen in two years and our front seven is not as good as stopping the run as in years past. Stats are not horribly different, but we've had more busts this year than in years past. Against UGA that will spell TDs.

Defensively, UGA is probably the 3rd best overall D we have faced behind MSU and LSU. Their DL is probably 4th best behind MSU, AU, and LSU. Should be a repeat of the AU game.

The key will be to start fast, IMO. If we get ahead of UGA, they will get off their gameplan just like the LSU game.
Miss. State's defense is awesome. The more I think about it they may have the best unit in the nation. They held us to 300 yards total offense and 24 points. I'm happy with the win but that was an ugly game.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their DL is probably 4th best behind MSU, AU, and LSU. Should be a repeat of the AU game.
Mizzou and aTm probably have better d-lines, too. Georgia's defense is good, but not on the d-line. And the loss of Roquan Smith - they have no one comparable this year.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Mizzou and aTm probably have better d-lines, too. Georgia's defense is good, but not on the d-line. And the loss of Roquan Smith - they have no one comparable this year.
Mizzou is such an underrated team. They had their chances when they lost to Georgia earlier in the year.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Miss. State's defense is awesome. The more I think about it they may have the best unit in the nation. They held us to 300 yards total offense and 24 points. I'm happy with the win but that was an ugly game.
part of that (at least imo) was tua being injured and jalen not being available as back up. we seemed to go into a shell after the half.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Over half of Alabama's 305 yards (156 to be exact) came on the first two drives. Once Deonte Brown went down, Alabama struggled. Plus, State blitzed and blitzed and blitzed and hit Tua low and blitzed and hit Tua low some more and blitzed again.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Yeah kinda thinking the same and also mix in a QB run by Fields and things can get a little interesting. This is one of the games where the LB corps is going to have to play their A-game.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Correct, our DL has been a disappointment this year, particularly with sacks and TFL. We need two more recruiting cycles to add talent and depth to this group.

Losing David Marshall has been a blow. He's great at stopping the run and getting pressure on the QB. Also losing Monty Rice at ILB for this game is like playing with two toes blown off one foot.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Over half of Alabama's 305 yards (156 to be exact) came on the first two drives. Once Deonte Brown went down, Alabama struggled. Plus, State blitzed and blitzed and blitzed and hit Tua low and blitzed and hit Tua low some more and blitzed again.
I suspect UGA will take their chances and blitz this week if the stats suggest they can't rush the passer with four down linemen. Should be very interesting to see how they mix up their coverages to defend Tua.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
i have seen so many "hot takes" that us being tied with the citadel at the half means something about bama being beatable, it's getting ridiculous.
If anything that score made our team even more dangerous because it got their attention. Saban said last night he wasn't pleased about the way the first halves of the last two games unfolded.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
If anything that score made our team even more dangerous because it got their attention. Saban said last night he wasn't pleased about the way the first halves of the last two games unfolded.
there is zero doubt in my mind that we will show up saturday anything less than 100% prepared and ready for the task at hand. we always show up in championship games. and we have an order of magnitude more experience than jawjuh playing in and winning huge, high-stakes games

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.