Possibility of Artificial Turf at BDS?

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I have no doubt that temps can be that high. When the outside temperature is close to 100, the field can be 170-180. It’s pretty easy to take these readings with laser thermometers. You can walk on these fields and feel the heat through your shoes. You can see the shimmer of heat rising from the field. It’s like walking on coals. Natural grass doesn’t have these problems.
I attended a lacrosse coaching clinic on turf last september, and the turf got so hot that if you laid your stick down for more than a couple of minutes that you'd have to spray water on the stick to cool it off before you picked it up. Our feet were burning up and everyone ran out of fluids. The air temp was not even really all that hot, but the turf was just baking us.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
With the issues Bama constantly seems to have with the turf in BDS, I wonder what the possibility of putting in artificial turf would be? I was on that field in 2015 when I officiated at the Super 7, and let me tell you it was not pretty. The corners of the end zones were basically painted dirt, and the middle of the field was really chewed up. I believe a big problem is with the upper decks all the way around, the amount of sunlight the grass gets is very limited. Artificial turf has come light years from when it used to be down at BDS, and I for one would not mind it a bit. What are your thoughts?
Calm down, Alabama has had record rainfall last month. Normally that field is awesome. It has been saturated for a month. Lots of rain and little sun. Just relax it is a good field, but the amount of rain we have had would ruin any other field. But there is a limit to how much water a field can handle.

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Calm down, Alabama has had record rainfall last month. Normally that field is awesome. It has been saturated for a month. Lots of rain and little sun. Just relax it is a good field, but the amount of rain we have had would ruin any other field. But there is a limit to how much water a field can handle.
I'm perfectly calm. The issue is the condition of the turf. It gets ripped to shreds, much more it seems than other stadiums. I am not crazy about artificial turf, but the grass surface needs to be tended to much more than now. Maybe sunlamps when the sun starts getting glower in the fall, or some seed blend with grasses that tolerate shade. Since the barners can't play football worth a crap, hire them since they are an ag school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We were on the field twice this year and it was in rough shape in the spring (lots of bare patches), but great shape in early September. Whatever happened, it happened after September.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I attended a lacrosse coaching clinic on turf last september, and the turf got so hot that if you laid your stick down for more than a couple of minutes that you'd have to spray water on the stick to cool it off before you picked it up. Our feet were burning up and everyone ran out of fluids. The air temp was not even really all that hot, but the turf was just baking us.
I concur with this as a former track coach. We always hated the tracks in the spring or summer with the artificial pellet fields; the heat absolutely jumps off those fields, even it isn't terribly hot away from it.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Dude, we had nearly 15 days of rain almost non stop. It wasn’t just a little rain either. I don’t care how good draining is that’s a moisture problem that’ll impact any natural field. It stopped racing literally hours before each game after have rained and rained and rained. I hope we always have a grass field. Saban is also old school and a purist so I’m doubting he’d like that fake stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rained on Nov 1...15 days of rain. Plus, the days it wasn't raining, it was very cool and overcast. Zero evaporation/heating/sun drying. Just one of those Novembers.

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I played on astroturf in the 80's...we called it fuzzy cement, and that was not the worst adjective I ever heard it called. While I never dressed for a game at BDS or Legion Field, I practiced on the same kind of turf every day, unless we moved to the grass field for practices, which, back we didn't do a whole lot. In 2011 I played in a charity game (full pads/contact) on a field with artificial turf similar to what Ole Miss uses. I hated it. You either cut and lost your footing or you cut and your cleats held on too firmly, which is a recipe for disaster for knees. I would never, ever, ever, ever be in favor of changing from the natural turf at BDS.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I'm perfectly calm. The issue is the condition of the turf. It gets ripped to shreds, much more it seems than other stadiums. I am not crazy about artificial turf, but the grass surface needs to be tended to much more than now. Maybe sunlamps when the sun starts getting glower in the fall, or some seed blend with grasses that tolerate shade. Since the barners can't play football worth a crap, hire them since they are an ag school.
Well it has not cost us a game, so why change. Turf has too many downsides. Both teams had to play on it so it all evens out in my book. The amount of knee and ankle injuries due to turf makes me hate it. better to slip and miss a first down or TD, than lose a guy for a year or forever.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Actually, that was seriously considered...

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I played on astroturf in the 80's...we called it fuzzy cement, and that was not the worst adjective I ever heard it called. While I never dressed for a game at BDS or Legion Field, I practiced on the same kind of turf every day, unless we moved to the grass field for practices, which, back we didn't do a whole lot. In 2011 I played in a charity game (full pads/contact) on a field with artificial turf similar to what Ole Miss uses. I hated it. You either cut and lost your footing or you cut and your cleats held on too firmly, which is a recipe for disaster for knees. I would never, ever, ever, ever be in favor of changing from the natural turf at BDS.
Ole .... went back to natural grass...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.