Dabo Swinney pops off on teleconference about ungrateful fanbase, threatens to leave

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
He is not leaving Clemson, he was just venting. However, if he ever did leave I have no doubt he would land on his feet and he may make Clemson regret running him off. He is a national championship winning coach and has Clemson competing every year. No other coach at Clemson before him did that.
And they can have him.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I sure hope Dabo wants to come here whenever Saban retires!
He may want to but he won’t get to. He was neck deep in all the mess that led our program to need a Coach Saban. That mess had to be pulled up by the roots. JMO. He is a perfect guy for Clempson and they are very much like Auburn. Lewis Grizzard said it best, “Clemson is Auburn with a lake”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I wonder how many blue blood programs would suddenly lose their loyalty to their coach if Dabo was on the market. I think Harbaughs seat would get quite uncomfortable.
Ideal place for him. Won't have to hear him whine as often.

As for HareBawl, he is an over-rated goofball. He only has one job to do, and that is beat the OSU. A big fat 0-fer, on that front. His seat should be uncomfortable.

EnterBama

Scout Team
Oct 24, 2018
I just want to win by one more point. If that ever gets to where that’s not enough, then it’s time for me to move on somewhere else. I ain’t never going to apologize for a 21-point win over a state rival, ever,” he began.
“You people who suggest it felt like a loss, y’all need to check yourself, too. I’ve been here 16 years and for all those people out there who want to complain about five wins in a row and winning by three touchdowns, man that’s shameful. That’s a lack of respect for our program and a lack of respect for the effort that these players and coaches put in. I hope you write that.
“The senior class has won 52 games and we’ve got people complaining. Give me a break. If 12-0 ain’t good enough, then it’s time to seek other places. Make sure you get that. I’m going to say it one more time: We’ve got eight 10-plus win seasons, we’re 12-0. It’s the third time in the history of this school we’ve won five state championships in a row. And when that’s not enough for some people, that’s sad. That’s sad.”
I watched the last 31/2 minutes of the replay and was dismayed to say the least that Clemson with Dabo egging it on were trying to run up the score on South Carolina. The score was 49-35 which was a 14 point margin but Clemson had all their starting offense and instead of trying to run clock they were passing on almost every down until they got down to around the 10 yard line and ran a couple of running plays. Their final score came with around 39 seconds on the clock to make it 21 points.

South Carolina came close to scoring with just over 30 seconds on the clock but the refs let the clock run after they got a first down at Clemson's 18 yard line without giving them a last play chance. The way Bentley was throwing there was a good chance South Carolina could have scored.

I've seen Coach Saban let the air out with most of the 4th quarter left to play and I don't know how many times the game has ended with us in position to score but we didn't even try.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Not at Bama since Coach Saban is not allowed to retire until my 6 year old son goes to Alabama. I wonder how many blue blood programs would suddenly lose their loyalty to their coach if Dabo was on the market. I think Harbaughs seat would get quite uncomfortable.
I think Harbaugh’s seat is already uncomfortable.
If CNS had been here as long as JH has been at Meatchicken (and yes, they do have a tradition of “winning”), never beat the Barn or never made the playoffs (or played for Natty prior), how comfortable do you think his seat would be? If he was even still here.
I’ll say this now: Michigan has to 1), beat OSU, 2) win the conference championship or 3) make the playoffs next year or he’s gone. And I’m not sure any of those happen (depending on who goes pro in the spring), so yeah, his seat’s already very uncomfortable.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
The underlying issue here with the fan base is that they watched South Carolina have a lot of success throwing the ball and are fearful that they will get obliterated by Tua and Co if we play.

I don't think that Clemson fans are truly disappointed in the outcome of their game yesterday, but I think they have been cautiously optimistic about this team from the start. They knew that they had a very favorable schedule, and that the ACC was projected to be pretty weak this year and has lived up to that. Therefore, getting to 12-0, while satisfying, was somewhat expected. In fans' minds, the season really starts on Dec 29th. Obviously, that is a crazy way to look at it, but I don't know that Alabama fans, as a group, can point fingers on this issue.
I live in Columbia & was at the game, this is pretty much it. Clemson fans love Dabo, this is just frustration at how bad their secondary played because if they play that way vs Bama, OSU, or OU they’ll give up 60+ points.

For those who missed it, USC threw for 510 yds & 5 TDs & had 2 more trips inside th 5 where they got no pts, & that was with virtually no running game & no defense. Clemson secondary looked downright awful vs USC (not just bad, but awful). USC has a good QB and a very good WR Corp, but they’re not Tua & company. Following that game the Clemson fan base is just a little less confident & a little more worried. Their saving grace is they likely draw ND in 1st round, and that is the better matchup for them out of possibilities.

Last edited:

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Dabo has it made at Clemson, can't see him wanting to leave.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
One of my friends trying to convince me that Saban is going to Dallas. I told him to stay off whatever websites or news sources are outing lies in his head.
You may need to tell him to stop drinking Old Crow, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, or whatever is creating his problem.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Fan bases can become entitled very quickly. Even back in the days of Wallace Wade our own fan base became entitled after the back-to-back national title in 1925 and 1926. Wade finished out his contract with an amazing season in 1930 and then left for Duke. The problem seems to be expectations. The more we get, the more we expect. It's like a drug. The team has to exceed the fans' expectations for the fans to be happy, but those expectations just keep going up and up. Eventually, there is about nothing that could possibly make the fan base happy. Maybe a fan base needs seasons like we had in 1997, 2000, and 2003 from time to time in order to bring expectations back down to reality. Then the fans can appreciate what they get when the team gets back on top.
I completely agree. Success breeds contentment. Saban is not a person EVER to get content, but a bunch of spoiled younger fans can get there real quick-like. I see it in my own business: market investments. Things go along so well for so long, that the panic button gets hammered the first time returns aren't what they were. Then, there's the job of the media, to make anything that looks like a headline. I was at Bama in 1997 when Dubose took over, and we missed Stallings IMMEDIATELY. We hated that we made fun of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Because it was usually a WIN. With Dubose, that changed. Then there was Franchione. Then there was Shula. That's 10 long years since Stallings left for Saban to come in and turn it around.

It's been a great 10 years since then. Clemson fans also need to remember back when they were getting beat down regularly under Tommy Bowden. Always underperforming.

So, like the world of investments, always making bank and WINNING breeds contentment, and we all have to be grateful for what we have.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
I think Harbaugh’s seat is already uncomfortable.
If CNS had been here as long as JH has been at Meatchicken (and yes, they do have a tradition of “winning”), never beat the Barn or never made the playoffs (or played for Natty prior), how comfortable do you think his seat would be? If he was even still here.
I’ll say this now: Michigan has to 1), beat OSU, 2) win the conference championship or 3) make the playoffs next year or he’s gone. And I’m not sure any of those happen (depending on who goes pro in the spring), so yeah, his seat’s already very uncomfortable.

Totally agree. I think they will come up well short of 10 wins next season, thus adding heat to him, and another loss to OSU will do the trick.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
He is not leaving Clemson, he was just venting. However, if he ever did leave I have no doubt he would land on his feet and he may make Clemson regret running him off. He is a national championship winning coach and has Clemson competing every year. No other coach at Clemson before him did that.
yeah i agree. you gotta give dabo his due. Clemson, while a strong football program historically, was never in this sentence before him. "you know, like elite, blue blood college football. bama, oklahoma, ohio state, clemson etc...". Now they are. Dabo did that. That is something only a handful of people in college football history can say they did for a program.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.