Dabo Swinney pops off on teleconference about ungrateful fanbase, threatens to leave

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I just want to win by one more point. If that ever gets to where that’s not enough, then it’s time for me to move on somewhere else. I ain’t never going to apologize for a 21-point win over a state rival, ever,” he began.

“You people who suggest it felt like a loss, y’all need to check yourself, too. I’ve been here 16 years and for all those people out there who want to complain about five wins in a row and winning by three touchdowns, man that’s shameful. That’s a lack of respect for our program and a lack of respect for the effort that these players and coaches put in. I hope you write that.

“The senior class has won 52 games and we’ve got people complaining. Give me a break. If 12-0 ain’t good enough, then it’s time to seek other places. Make sure you get that. I’m going to say it one more time: We’ve got eight 10-plus win seasons, we’re 12-0. It’s the third time in the history of this school we’ve won five state championships in a row. And when that’s not enough for some people, that’s sad. That’s sad.”
Dabo Swinney pops off on teleconference about ungrateful fanbase, threatens to leave

I know some Bama fans like this, but the fact that Dabo came out and said the shows just how frustrated he is by some of the fans whining about the wins How quickly we all forget where our programs were 10-15 years ago...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Reminds me a little bit of what was happening with Saban at Alabama a while back. Some people are never satisfied. But let them know that you will walk and they shut up fast.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
As long as he never sets foot in Tuscaloosa, I don’t care how much he whines at Clemson. That program is much bigger than he is and if he’s smart he will wake up and realize that.

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
The underlying issue here with the fan base is that they watched South Carolina have a lot of success throwing the ball and are fearful that they will get obliterated by Tua and Co if we play.

I don't think that Clemson fans are truly disappointed in the outcome of their game yesterday, but I think they have been cautiously optimistic about this team from the start. They knew that they had a very favorable schedule, and that the ACC was projected to be pretty weak this year and has lived up to that. Therefore, getting to 12-0, while satisfying, was somewhat expected. In fans' minds, the season really starts on Dec 29th. Obviously, that is a crazy way to look at it, but I don't know that Alabama fans, as a group, can point fingers on this issue.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
As long as he never sets foot in Tuscaloosa, I don’t care how much he whines at Clemson. That program is much bigger than he is and if he’s smart he will wake up and realize that.
He is not leaving Clemson, he was just venting. However, if he ever did leave I have no doubt he would land on his feet and he may make Clemson regret running him off. He is a national championship winning coach and has Clemson competing every year. No other coach at Clemson before him did that.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
He is not leaving Clemson, he was just venting. However, if he ever did leave I have no doubt he would land on his feet and he may make Clemson regret running him off. He is a national championship winning coach and has Clemson competing every year. No other coach at Clemson before him did that.
I liked this post and I don't ever want Dabo at Bama.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I liked this post and I don't ever want Dabo at Bama.
Not at Bama since Coach Saban is not allowed to retire until my 6 year old son goes to Alabama. I wonder how many blue blood programs would suddenly lose their loyalty to their coach if Dabo was on the market. I think Harbaughs seat would get quite uncomfortable.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
In all seriousness, he just went on a rant. It's whatever. It's more likely that he's prepping everyone for the fact that they can't beat us this year than him leaving.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Fan bases can become entitled very quickly. Even back in the days of Wallace Wade our own fan base became entitled after the back-to-back national title in 1925 and 1926. Wade finished out his contract with an amazing season in 1930 and then left for Duke. The problem seems to be expectations. The more we get, the more we expect. It's like a drug. The team has to exceed the fans' expectations for the fans to be happy, but those expectations just keep going up and up. Eventually, there is about nothing that could possibly make the fan base happy. Maybe a fan base needs seasons like we had in 1997, 2000, and 2003 from time to time in order to bring expectations back down to reality. Then the fans can appreciate what they get when the team gets back on top.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Fan bases can become entitled very quickly. Even back in the days of Wallace Wade our own fan base became entitled after the back-to-back national title in 1925 and 1926. Wade finished out his contract with an amazing season in 1930 and then left for Duke. The problem seems to be expectations. The more we get, the more we expect. It's like a drug. The team has to exceed the fans' expectations for the fans to be happy, but those expectations just keep going up and up. Eventually, there is about nothing that could possibly make the fan base happy. Maybe a fan base needs seasons like we had in 1997, 2000, and 2003 from time to time in order to bring expectations back down to reality. Then the fans can appreciate what they get when the team gets back on top.
I for one ( and many of my friends) are enjoying every minute of this fantastic run we are having under Coach Saban.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.