Georgia will be the toughest opponent we face all season (including the playoff)

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Another point - Alabama simply does not lose to teams that run the style of offense that Georgia runs. They have a pocket passer who runs only when he has to. They are a run heavy offense that only has success when they stay ahead of the chains. They work their way down the field with short passes and runs. They are really going to struggle to score in this game.
This is a great point, and the last time we did lose to a team with a comparable style of play was probably LSU in 2011. Of course, Kirby knows that and for that very reason I would not be surprised to see Fields used in the redzone opportunities they do get.

It was mentioned above that Georgia gets frustrated when they get down early, and they do seem to be a bit of a front-runner. In the their two losses they've had over the last two years where they got down by multiple scores, it ended-up being a blowout (Auburn and LSU).

To the original statement made in this thread, I think Clemson is the toughest opponent we could potentially face and I think they are just about our equal at this point.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
This is a great point, and the last time we did lose to a team with a comparable style of play was probably LSU in 2011. Of course, Kirby knows that and for that very reason I would not be surprised to see Fields used in the redzone opportunities they do get.

It was mentioned above that Georgia gets frustrated when they get down early, and they do seem to be a bit of a front-runner. In the their two losses they've had over the last two years where they got down by multiple scores, it ended-up being a blowout (Auburn and LSU).

To the original statement made in this thread, I think Clemson is the toughest opponent we could potentially face and I think they are just about our equal at this point.
Ohio State scares me more than Clemson. They're better than Clemson. Better, more mature QB, great receivers, huge offensive line and a nasty defensive front. Meyer is a better coach than Dabo, too.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
That is just my feeling on the whole situation. I don't see this version of Clemson challenging us much. We'd beat the breaks off Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or Oklahoma.

But I think Georgia is the second best team in the entire country and the gap between them and #3 is more substantial then people realize.

And if truth were known, I bet the playoff committee wants Georgia to beat us so us and Georgia both get in. I sincerely think the playoff committee wants the following 4 teams to get in:

1) Clemson
2) Notre Dame
3) Georgia
4) Alabama (assuming Georgia beats us, we'll still get in)

Why? Because that would bring in the most $$$$$. Those 4 teams are clearly, by far and wide, the best four teams in the country.
The scenario that I do not want to even think about is Alabama, not winning, and Oklahoma beating Texas. That just may put them in ahead of Alabama, because they would have
DEFEATED the ONLY team that beat them. So, even though I usually NEVER want to see Texas win a game, I am pulling for Texas to BEAT Oklahoma this week. However, I do not think that is possible. Oklahoma has a QB that Texas can't stop (running or throwing) and Texas does NOT have a QB that can OUTSCORE Oklahoma.

BamaBoySince89

All-American
Aug 13, 2016
Harvest, AL
I think this game will be along the lines of LSU/Miss St in which neither team was never close to keeping up with us, but their defense can make a few stops here and there to hold us under 30 pts.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I'd bet money we see a LOT of Fields in the game. I think Kirby knows that it's gonna be hard to beat Bama without a QB who's a running threat.

I seriously don't think they score more than 20 points on us...to me when I watch them, they're nowhere near as good as they were last season.

Last edited:

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I think OU is the team that worries me most (followed by Clemson). I know we laugh at how poor their defense is, but their offense has all the factors that have caused Alabama headaches over the last 5+ seasons. I'd easily rather play UGA, OSU, or ND than have to get into a shootout with them. Its probably been said, but UGA just reminds me of a slightly better version of LSU.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd bet money we see a LOT of Fields in the game. I think Kirby knows that it's gonna be hard to beat Bama without a QB who's a running threat.

I seriously don't think they score more than 20 points on us...to me when I watch them, they're nowhere near as good as they were last season.
That would be playing into Alabama's hands, IMO. Alabama no longer struggles with scrambling QBs, and Fields is far more likely to make a HUGE mistake than Fromm.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'm honestly surprised Auburn didn't try to run Stidham more on Saturday. He's an underrated athlete and really hurt us last year scrambling.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
That is just my feeling on the whole situation. I don't see this version of Clemson challenging us much. We'd beat the breaks off Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan or Oklahoma.

But I think Georgia is the second best team in the entire country and the gap between them and #3 is more substantial then people realize.

And if truth were known, I bet the playoff committee wants Georgia to beat us so us and Georgia both get in. I sincerely think the playoff committee wants the following 4 teams to get in:

1) Clemson
2) Notre Dame
3) Georgia
4) Alabama (assuming Georgia beats us, we'll still get in)

Why? Because that would bring in the most $$$$$. Those 4 teams are clearly, by far and wide, the best four teams in the country.
As a Dawg fan I appreciate your post - although I'm not sure we're the second best team in the country. I think Clemson is pretty darn good across all phases of the game.

To me it's hard to justify putting ND in the Playoff without participating in a Conference Championship.

In general, I don't think this is our year. We need another recruiting cycle to bolster some talent gaps (i.e., DL, ILB DB) and allow some of these young pups to put on weight and strength. The number of true freshmen playing for Georgia this year is eye opening.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
As a Dawg fan I appreciate your post - although I'm not sure we're the second best team in the country. I think Clemson is pretty darn good across all phases of the game.

To me it's hard to justify putting ND in the Playoff without participating in a Conference Championship.

In general, I don't think this is our year. We need another recruiting cycle to bolster some talent gaps (i.e., DL, ILB DB) and allow some of these young pups to put on weight and strength. The number of true freshmen playing for Georgia this year is eye opening.
Alabama has had a good number of freshmen contribute this year, too.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Alabama has had a good number of freshmen contribute this year, too.
Yes, as did LSU. I read an article about teams playing young players around mid-season. I'd love to have more insight on Saban's rotation strategy. If I have one bone to pick with Kirby, it's the way his Assistants (certainly with his approval) rotate players in key situations. At times it could be very frustrating.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Another point - Alabama simply does not lose to teams that run the style of offense that Georgia runs. They have a pocket passer who runs only when he has to. They are a run heavy offense that only has success when they stay ahead of the chains. They work their way down the field with short passes and runs. They are really going to struggle to score in this game.
It could be a tighter game if they use Fields more rather than Fromm. He seems to bring a little more mobility to the table.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It could be a tighter game if they use Fields more rather than Fromm. He seems to bring a little more mobility to the table.
They tried to use him more in the LSU game and it blew up in their face for some reason. Still trying to figure out how LSU was able to beat them as badly as they did and then get shut out 29-0 at home by Alabama.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
That would be playing into Alabama's hands, IMO. Alabama no longer struggles with scrambling QBs, and Fields is far more likely to make a HUGE mistake than Fromm.
True, but to be fair, the same thing was thought about Tua last year, and bringing him in at the half proved to be what turned the game around, even with his one big mistake (thanks to the defense turning it back around right away).

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
It is okay to relax. You are a fan.

Reminds me of the Corona commercial with Romo. Tells the fan to sit down with his beer and watch the game. That is what he should do because that is all that he can do.

:cheers2:
Precisely. I'm a Bama fan. Nothing I do has any impact on the game whatsoever. There is no point to me worrying about how Bama will perform.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
True, but to be fair, the same thing was thought about Tua last year, and bringing him in at the half proved to be what turned the game around, even with his one big mistake (thanks to the defense turning it back around right away).
tua was showing flashes of his "wow" abilities throughout the season. i haven't heard much about fields this season. granted, i haven't paid that much attention to uga's season outside of watching them crap the bed vs lsu.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Coach suggested that maybe our team was mentally tired the last two weeks and that is perhaps what caused the slow starts. Does anyone else worry about this aspect ? I hope our team is mentally ready to go on Saturday. Physically, I think we're okay.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
They tried to use him more in the LSU game and it blew up in their face for some reason. Still trying to figure out how LSU was able to beat them as badly as they did and then get shut out 29-0 at home by Alabama.
You nailed it and it did blow up in our face. Overall, I think too much is made over the LSU game. It was a game where we came out flat and never recovered. It happens..., but we're not the same team and learned from that game.

Regarding Justin Fields - he is a very athletic young kid with a canon for an arm, but he's not at Jake Fromm's maturity and football I.Q. level - yet. He's made some silly mistakes, the most recent catching his own batted pass against Tech and losing enough yardage to take us out of easy field goal range. Unless Jake Fromm implodes early on, you'll only see limited action from Fields.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.