Impact of Jared Mayden Missing First Half of SECCG?

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I hate this for him, that he will miss half of this game. And I will say again, I am not a fan of that rule/penalty or how it is currently being done. But that hit is the exact reason something has to be done to protect players. I really hope we don't have anyone who would argue that call was wrong. It was about as right as I have seen for that penalty. I hate it, but that's the truth.
Yeah, I don't think anyone will deny that what he did was targeting. When he dropped that head he drilled the receiver. He should have known better for himself and the opposing player.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
unless they force us into the dime for 2 quarters, I doubt a ton. Their strength is having their running backs going between the tackles so I doubt they go 5 wide in the first half, but they may use it to force us into that alignment and shift out of it...but it wouldnt make sense to not try to play their game in the first half.

however, If we suffer any injuries or targeting ejections, it becomes a big issue.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I'm fairly certain Georgia's game plan is to run it down our throat and play action pass off of that so I don't know how often we will go to dime. Keaton was a tweener 3 star recruit in high school but he did show surprising speed back in the fall when they did conditioning test. He's also played well on special teams all season. It's really too bad we lost so many corners this year because Shy Carter could also play dime if Diggs or Armor-Davis were still around.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You would have thought the question that Saban answered would have come from one of the young, naïve beat writers but it was Cecil Hurt. Coach does not hold back on anyone if the question is stupid.
I actually didn't think that the question was stupid. Saban just took it to mean something that I doubt that Cecil was asking for. Cecil wanted to know how Alabama was going to handle things while Mayden was not available. He wasn't asking for a game plan, just some generalities. Something to make his readers feel better about the loss of Mayden for a half.

Even Saban laughed at his response. He knew that he went overboard.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I actually didn't think that the question was stupid. Saban just took it to mean something that I doubt that Cecil was asking for. Cecil wanted to know how Alabama was going to handle things while Mayden was not available. He wasn't asking for a game plan, just some generalities. Something to make his readers feel better about the loss of Mayden for a half.

Even Saban laughed at his response. He knew that he went overboard.
The question was specifically about how much dime he would run with Mayden out.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I don't think we will miss him that much in the first half.
It's not like 'The Cupboard is bare'...
And in the 2nd half, Mayden should be fresh and ready for play.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Yes it was, but not really. I think that we have to give Cecil a little credit, here.
I don't take anything away from Cecil, as it was a good question. But CNS didn't want to answer specifics about game strategy. I think Cecil took the answer in the nature of humor that was intended.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.