Coach of the Year

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I normally do not argue with others getting it. Saban has shown he will win most games, it is a given. BUT he lost so many coaches this year. The usual losses of players, but to replace so much staff, go 12-0 in SEC and win every game by 20 plus points? If he does not get it then it really is a joke of an award. Yes some others have done well this year, like stoops at UK etc. But to be #1 with all new staff and do what he did while everyone is giving you their best shot as always and to win them all by 20 plus........... if that is not coaching better than anyone what is?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban is not going to win this. He is the GOAT. Everyone recognizes that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The winner usually falls under the "you exceeded our expectations of you sucking." Saban doesn't come close to that.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The winner usually falls under the "you exceeded our expectations of you sucking." Saban doesn't come close to that.
Hard to exceed expectations when it is expected that Alabama will win it all every year. :biggrin:

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Like I said I agree he is expected to win a lot. But to lose all the coaches and not only not miss a beat but win 12 by 20 plus is by any measure exceeding some expectations. Name any coach who could do that anywhere. Again I know he is the best and it is hard to push it farther, but this year he id push it, like a bull dozier.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
It's not really an award for a dominant season it's a reward for vastly exceeding expectations and having "special season."

There's a reason why Saban only has 2 (despite 6 national titles) and Meyer has 0 (despite 3). Frankly, teams with tons of elite talent are at a disadvantage in winning it, we're expected to win.

I don't know who the favorite is at this point. If Texas beats OU I could see Herman getting it. A lot of other "good stories" (Matt Campbell, Matt Rhule, Justin Wilcox, Jeff Brohm) probably didn't win enough games.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
There are some awesome coaches on that list;NOT. Six have been fired and Patterson wins more than Saban??

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Well it is called coach of the year, to me that is wins, recruiting, adapting to adversity, etc. He did it all. it is not called the coach who exceeded expectations award. Sorry I usually get it but this year he has done an amazing job on all fronts and to not win it means that award needs a new name.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
They should just call it "Best Coach Of The Year Not Named Saban." We already know he is the best every year.
Ain't that the truth? Same situation with Elvis. Dude was the King but the industry never wanted to recognize him. Jealousy. He won what, 3 Grammies? Nick is the best and I sure am glad we have him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.