Link: Season Long Polls and Rankings Thread

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Figured with the debut of the committee's new ranking system, a thread wouldn't be a bad idea.

For the uninitiated, the NCAA is no longer using RPI. They have a new system called NET, for NCAA Evaluation Tool.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ed-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking

It’ll be a rapidly updating poll, like the RPI.

The initial rankings are out. They’re a tad wonky.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

But with a small sample size in the early season, that’s actually not too much of an indicator. Maybe it will end up being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

It will be interesting to see how it looks day to day as we go through the season.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's a big problem with any formula for an entire season that uses itself as a factor throughout the season.

How is SOS determined? Part of it is based on perception. Another part is based on the opposition's SOS.

If the NET is going to base future results on the current (and superseding lists), the first list is vital to its success.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
That's a big problem with any formula for an entire season that uses itself as a factor throughout the season.

How is SOS determined? Part of it is based on perception. Another part is based on the opposition's SOS.

If the NET is going to base future results on the current (and superseding lists), the first list is vital to its success.
It may end up being a damn mess come selection Sunday. At least RPI, for all its faults, had a tendency to self correct from the wonkiness of the early rankings as the season wore on. Silver doesn't believe NET will.

One wonders if they took the time to hindcast the model against prior seasons. Would be pretty laughable if it spat out something like Loyola Marymount as a 1 seed.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It may end up being a damn mess come selection Sunday. At least RPI, for all its faults, had a tendency to self correct from the wonkiness of the early rankings as the season wore on. Silver doesn't believe NET will.

One wonders if they took the time to hindcast the model against prior seasons. Would be pretty laughable if it spat out something like Loyola Marymount as a 1 seed.
Will be worth watching through January or early February. If the rankings still look like a giant mess, will enough noise be made for a change?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Will be worth watching through January or early February. If the rankings still look like a giant mess, will enough noise be made for a change?
If it's a sinking ship, I think they're riding this one all the way to the bottom.

But the outcry if there's some sort of outrageous result will be deafening and they will tweak the dickens out of it ahead of next season.

Imagine if a mid major team that goes 30-0 vs competition like Pepperdine gets a higher seed than a Duke team that goes 20-10 against competition like Gonzaga and UNC this year. Ooh, man, that would be some righteous fury right there.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Yes, two things that caught my eye was the NET seems to run kind of an "infinite loop" and it does not need to come out this early even if it turns out to be a decent measure.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Bama has a good opportunity to undo a lot of the letdown in non conference play today against Arizona. Hope y’all take advantage. Win today and maintain a .500 conference record, I think Bama has a much improved shot at dancing come March.

Bama has a good opportunity to undo a lot of the letdown in non conference play today against Arizona. Hope y’all take advantage. Win today and maintain a .500 conference record, I think Bama has a much improved shot at dancing come March.
It’s a tall task but doable. They’ll still have an uphill climb either way. That UCF loss hurt then to lose to GA St...

Just gotta keep playing.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
You are a charitable guy; no way Bama dances this year. Barn on the other hand is a final four threat.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It’s a tall task but doable. They’ll still have an uphill climb either way. That UCF loss hurt then to lose to GA St...

Just gotta keep playing.
Believe it or not, none of those are awful losses as of yet. Northeastern on a neutral court and GSU at home were tier 2 losses. UCF is a tier 1 loss.

A win today would be tier 1 and a tremendous move toward righting the ship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.