Georgia DL Jonathan Ledbetter Admits They Didn't Prepare for Tua

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I do because I've seen him be ill-equipped for differing styles backup QBs several times before while here at Alabama. I've seen our DCs since suffer the same problem. His tenure was the only time it bit us in the ass (2011 LSU).
And you can count those on one hand and it is going to happen every once in a while. IIRC, we had the #1 defense in the nation almost every year Kirby was our DC so I'm not going to complain since he is no longer our coach.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not an expert on Bama football, but aren't Jalen and Tua similar type QB's - both are DT QB's? If that's the case, in theory there's not that much of difference in what you're preparing for schematically. Now if you've got one that's a Pro and the other is DT then it's a different story. Additionally, you have a limited amount of practice time, so you're preparing based on odds. Not many people would have believed going into the National Championship game that Nick would hand the ball over to a true freshman in the second half.
Tua is a much more gifted passer and makes much quicker reads. He can run and scramble but it's not his first option. Jalen is basically a running back who can throw. Not the same player at all.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not an expert on Bama football, but aren't Jalen and Tua similar type QB's - both are DT QB's? If that's the case, in theory there's not that much of difference in what you're preparing for schematically. Now if you've got one that's a Pro and the other is DT then it's a different story. Additionally, you have a limited amount of practice time, so you're preparing based on odds. Not many people would have believed going into the National Championship game that Nick would hand the ball over to a true freshman in the second half.
Tua is a DT but 90% of it is passing where Jalen is DT with 40% passing so I would say they are totally different to prepare for.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well to be fair, I suspected they scouted Bama during the season because they probably expected to see us in December and continued to review us through the break. I doubt they introduced the Tua scenario because it would be mental clutter. I 100% buy that they only really prepped for Jalen Hurts at QB and were completely flatfooted when the change happened.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'll put it this way - did you notice a difference in the offense in January?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One of them will start in the NFL at QB. The other will likely have to make a Randle-El or Edelman position change to start in the NFL. Tua is basically a pocket passer who can run...the pure definition of dual threat.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well to be fair, I suspected they scouted Bama during the season because they probably expected to see us in December and continued to review us through the break. I doubt they introduced the Tua scenario because it would be mental clutter. I 100% buy that they only really prepped for Jalen Hurts at QB and were completely flatfooted when the change happened.
So do you think we are going to prepare for Justin Fields? The 100% prep for Jalen only would border on incompetence.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I'll put it this way - did you notice a difference in the offense in January?
Yes and talent difference between the two is significant. Tua is an amazing QB. I think the thing that makes him so impressive this early in his career is his ability to look away defenders. That's a skill set that can take some QB's until their Junior or Senior year to master.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tua is the best passing QB in the history of Alabama football. He reads the entire field at a glance. Love Jalen, but he will never achieve what Tua could do before he ever stepped foot on campus.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
So do you think we are going to prepare for Justin Fields? The 100% prep for Jalen only would border on incompetence.
They've actually played Justin Fields in what I would call "significant" snaps (before the game is several scores in the lead). I reckon we will scout what they do with him and have the players film studied on it. I reckon they'll spend most of the practice snaps on Fromm-led offense but do a little work on what changes rush rules wise with Fields.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
fwiw, I think we would've used Tua like Fields has been used this year but Hurts was so far behind as a pocket passer that we gave him more 1st team snaps to aid his progress in 2017.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Well, nothing is for free. They may not have prepared much (or at all) for Tua, knowing Saban's preference for veterans, and with all their prep time available for Jalen, they stoned him.

It almost worked, too. But you can't prepare for everything. If they had spent more time on Tua, it is possible that Jalen would have had more success.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Not really. Jalen has always been a running quarterback who can throw. Tua is a passing QB who can run. It really is a significant difference.

Just think of their highlights. Jalens big highlights from 2016 and 2017 were him busting a big run. Tua’s big highlights are hitting WRs in stride for long TD passes.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of preparation results in the LACK of knowing what to do on that 2nd and 26th play.

A reminder: this is the team that caused the Prayer at Jordan Hare. I know Kirby wasn't there but still.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I'm still trying to figure out what kind of preparation results in the LACK of knowing what to do on that 2nd and 26th play.

A reminder: this is the team that caused the Prayer at Jordan Hare. I know Kirby wasn't there but still.
i've found that "your senior safety gave up a 2nd and 26 td to a bunch of true freshmen" is a very effective response to any whining about that game.

mswhat

Oct 16, 2017
Hmmm...

“We told everybody at halftime there was no question they were going to him because they were struggling and they needed some momentum,” Smart said.

Tagovailoa had played just enough over the course of the season, completing 35 of 53 passes for 470 yards in spot duty, that he wasn’t entirely a mystery.

“He played enough snaps,” Smart said. “We’d seen him on tape.”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw0YcxfdPyyV8u7QsXNukXE4&ust=1543370432339330

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.