The blocked punt

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I get angry even thinking about the Blocked Punt.
Play should have drawn a flag. Auburn offsides.
My best understanding here is that au was off sides on the play before the punt. A first down should have been called, which would have meant there was no need to punt.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I think when you start saying this conference's officials are worse (or better) than this one....or this program gets the breaks (or gets robbed) - you take some of the oxygen out of the room - that could be used to call attention to ALL egregious officiating.

I don't care whose program you pull for - any poor officiating is bad for college football and can absolutely leave a very poor taste in one's mouth at the conclusion of a game.

In this day and age with the technology we have (modern camera, video, audio, editing equipment) ---- I'm absolutely stunned and disappointed that we still "get it wrong' so many times.

Accountability is where the buck stops. For our conference that person is Steve Shaw, Coordinator of SEC Officiating. I would hope that out conference commissioner, Greg Sankey, will stay on top of this moving forward in some fashion, but I also feel as fans, we should also continue to keep the conversation going.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, if it had to happen this was good timing.

It's a coaching moment for sure now and they'll be extra vigilant to clean this up before the SECCG and CFP.

Ironically, I seem to recall a blocked punt in 2012 by Georgia that I thought would be the difference in the game and cause us to lose. I know CNS and Co. will be wary of that and extra prepared now.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You know, if it had to happen this was good timing.

It's a coaching moment for sure now and they'll be extra vigilant to clean this up before the SECCG and CFP.

Ironically, I seem to recall a blocked punt in 2012 by Georgia that I thought would be the difference in the game and cause us to lose. I know CNS and Co. will be wary of that and extra prepared now.
I bet they also put extra effort in not having to punt at all. :smile:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
IIRC, we were punting because the officials blew a PI call the play before, claiming the ball had been tipped when it clearly wasn't.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
The guy that blocked it came from our right side. The upback chose to take the wide man coming upfield and when he stepped to the side he opened the hole for the guy that blocked it to come right through. It was a bad choice. You never take the outside man on punt/kick protection. He has the long path to get there. As soon as you get baited in to taking the outside rusher you have opened a shorter path for another rusher to make the block which is exactly what happened. IIRC it was Hentges that was the upman blocking on that side that took the outside man and allowed the one that blocked it through. It didn’t help that the man in the middle looks like he assumed Hentges had the guy that got through to block it, and stepped/turned his head to the left to attend to another rusher.
It is the kicker/punters job to get the ball off in enough time that the outside rusher is not a factor. It is the blockers job (linemen and upbacks) to make sure it’s not blocked up the middle. I’m trying to teach a young man these principles now. He gets nervous about the rush and his mechanics go out the window. I’m trying to get him to understand to just do your job to the best of your ability and not worry about someone else’s job that you have no control over.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.