Game Thread: OFFICIAL PREGAME THREAD - Bama vs. The Bull-Uglies...

Status
Not open for further replies.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
But the last two of those wins — 50-17 against The Citadel and 52-21 against Auburn — have revealed at least a few signs of vulnerability.
Sooooooo Run a ton of trick plays or install the triple option in one week???

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I really hope we make them look pedestrian like LSU did. I hope the defense shows up and shows out. We still have yet to have a complete game from this team, hoping that trend starts Saturday.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I really hope we make them look pedestrian like LSU did. I hope the defense shows up and shows out. We still have yet to have a complete game from this team, hoping that trend starts Saturday.
I mean.....there incomplete games seem to be a lot better than everyone else's "complete game" lol

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
i remember those low rent mutts rocking their bus back and forth before the game and trying to start some crap in pre-game.
I remember thinking when I saw that happen that we’d have our way with them. We did, obviously. Work (and Athens in general) the next week was gloriously quiet after over a week of taunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I remember thinking when I saw that happen that we’d have our way with them. We did, obviously. Work (and Athens in general) the next week was gloriously quiet after over a week of taunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, on their boards, they were crowing that the refs beat them. If the score Saturday is 40-0, they'll still be saying the same...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Last two wins against them in 2012 and last year we got down early both times and had to come back and win.

In 2012, AJ threw an INT in the second quarter in the end zone and we had the FG blocked and returned for a NOT. That was a 14 point swing, but we still managed to pull that one out, albeit making it way too close for comfort!

Last year, I don't remember what happened.

Can we just decide to play aggressively from the beginning this time around?!
The 2012 game we were handicapped by an incompetent offensive coordinator otherwise we would’ve ran them out of the stadium that night.

2017 I think it is obvious that 2 quarters with Tua was the difference of the ball game. Imagine had he came in mid 2nd quarter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Re: OFFICIAL PREGAME THREAD - Bama vs. The Bull-Ughlies...

I think ball security is key in this game. UGA's DBs seem to try to make up for not quite being a shutdown unit by getting their hands at the ball after the catch. I'd happily concede a few catch and runs to assure they don't get any of the sudden change turnovers that have vastly assisted them in their big games this year.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

I think ball security is key in this game. UGA's DBs seem to try to make up for not quite being a shutdown unit by getting their hands at the ball after the catch. I'd happily concede a few catch and runs to assure they don't get any of the sudden change turnovers that have vastly assisted them in their big games this year.
Turnovers really hurt Florida in the Cocktail Game. They were really gashing UGA with the run and then their backs and Franks coughed up the ball.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

I often pick up this Wager Talk video on my YouTube feed. This video on Alabama vs Georgia features a pro bettor who has a strong record in NCAA football. A couple of things said in the discussion... The Vegas spread began in the 8.5 to 10.5 range but has been pushed to the current 13.5 with Bama money coming in. The pro has Bama ranked higher than any team ever. His next highest was the Bush/Leinart team at USC. He feels the game is closer than the current spread and isn't betting the game on either side. A good discussion on where the pro money is going.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

WNSP has a Las Vegas guy on once a week to discuss this stuff. 'The gold sheet', his publication for their sports book, has the Tide winning 38-20, I think.

I look at it like this: are we better or worse than last year? On offense we are easily better. On defense I think we are slightly below where we were last year, but with Jennings getting healthier maybe it's a wash. Our special teams? Who the heck knows. Obviously JK was a historically good punter, but maybe the rest of it is even with last year?

Is Georgia better or worse than last year? I think they are not better. I think their O-line isn't as good, and maybe Swift is the stuff, but he couldn't beat out Michel or Chubb last year. Their defense is not as good, I don't believe.

In the end I think that a 10-14 point Bama win is not out of the question, barring any unforeseen injuries or turnovers.

rtr

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

I often pick up this Wager Talk video on my YouTube feed. This video on Alabama vs Georgia features a pro bettor who has a strong record in NCAA football. A couple of things said in the discussion... The Vegas spread began in the 8.5 to 10.5 range but has been pushed to the current 13.5 with Bama money coming in. The pro has Bama ranked higher than any team ever. His next highest was the Bush/Leinart team at USC. He feels the game is closer than the current spread and isn't betting the game on either side. A good discussion on where the pro money is going.

Their references to last year's game aren't well thought out. It's as if they think that was a normal Alabama game, and they don't recognize the massive shift that happened after halftime. A 4-quarter Tua game likely goes much, much differently last year.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

Idk if it will happen but this feels like one of those games where it would make sense to give Najee a lot of carries. He was really effective against them last year and their biggest defensive weakness seems to be stopping the run. And, hes probably our best pure runner. I'd try to use a lot of 2 RB sets with Najee and Jacobs and run out of those looks a lot early.

Really I think it might make sense to try to wear down the defense in the 1st half with our running game. That may keep the game closer for longer but then we can come out passing more in the late 2nd/3rd and break away.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If I was Alabama, I would look at what they show pre-snap and know that they will be in cover 3 a lot... they want to prevent big plays. So if we want to take the top off their defense, we have to establish running game. Slow the game down a little. We can do this with Two Backs formation. The Combination of Jacobs/Harris/Harris and how we show different looks with them, it will confuse them. With the zone coverage Georgia plays, We will hit on short to immediate throws and our running game. We shouldn't have issue moving on them. At some point in the game we want to force Georgia to abandon spilt safeties coverage and I have a feeling it will happen. We will have explosive plays throughout the game.

I think it is important that we control the TOP in the game for once. wear down their defense, and force them to make mistakes.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Idk if it will happen but this feels like one of those games where it would make sense to give Najee a lot of carries. He was really effective against them last year and their biggest defensive weakness seems to be stopping the run. And, hes probably our best pure runner. I'd try to use a lot of 2 RB sets with Najee and Jacobs and run out of those looks a lot early.
I think we continue to feed our 3 rbs the ball and go with hot hand. I agree... 2 RB set are devastating for other team to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.