FGM Prohibition

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Michigan Judge’s Genital Mutilation Ruling Shocks Women’s Advocates

A federal judge in Michigan rules a federal statute against female genital mutilation is unconstitutional.
Judge Friedman said:
“As laudable as the prohibition of a particular type of abuse of girls may be,... Federalism concerns deprive Congress of the power to enact this statute.”
I am stunned that a federal judge would rule any federal statute beyond the enumerated federal powers, but one might wish for a better case to which to apply the standard.

I fear that if Michigan were to enact a state statute prohibiting FGM, that some federal judge would be found to rule it a denial of the mutilators' "equal protection of the laws."

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Is it a religious freedom issue?
No, the judge ruled on enumerated powers. The Constitution does not delegate to Congress the power to regulate or prohibit FGM. I'm pleased to see a federal judge rule an act of Congress, any act frankly, unconstitutional when it it not related to those powers delegated to them, but this is a terrible case.

From the NYT:
“Given how this statute is written I think he’s correct,” Professor Henning said. “I hate to say Congress whiffed, but they whiffed on this law. There isn’t a federal police power, so they can’t just adopt anything they want. It has to be located in one of Congress’s express powers and this wasn’t.”
I'm a bit surprised to hear a law professor say that, but she's right.
“There are ways that Congress could write a different statute that would be more closely connected to conduct that has an effect on interstate commerce,” said Michael Rosman, general counsel for the Center for Individual Rights, although he said he believed such a law would still be vulnerable to claims it violated equal protection or religious freedom.
It is a disgusting barbaric custom. (A minor girl cannot give legal consent to the procedure.) Michigan and Minnesota could and should enact laws prohibiting it.
If they do, there will be some scummy low-life who will file a suit based on "equal protection."

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
I am all for cultural diversity, but if you live in this country, you don't practice suti(where the wife is burned alive in her husand's pyre), you don't marry off child brides, you don't beat your kids, honor killings, and you damn sure don't do this.

We had some Afghan immigrants across the street from us when I lived in Omaha. The Dad was under a child services protective order for physical abuse. That might have flown in Kabul, but it won't here.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am all for cultural diversity, but if you live in this country, you don't practice suti(where the wife is burned alive in her husand's pyre), you don't marry off child brides, you don't beat your kids, honor killings, and you damn sure don't do this.

Sir Charles Napier, Vice-Roy of India, outlawed throwing widows onto funeral pyres. When Hindu leaders came to remonstrate against this prohibition, Napier let them have it.
Chuck Napier said:
Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs.
Its On A Slab said:
We had some Afghan immigrants across the street from us when I lived in Omaha. The Dad was under a child services protective order for physical abuse. That might have flown in Kabul, but it won't here.

Times in Kabul have changed, I guess.

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

Sir Charles Napier, Vice-Roy of India, outlawed throwing widows onto funeral pyres. When Hindu leaders came to remonstrate against this prohibition, Napier let them have it.

Times in Kabul have changed, I guess.
Yep....actually, those photos pre-date the Communist takeover and the endless war that has endured to this day.

A few years ago, I talked to a kid at a party who was a student at Univ of Neb-Omaha. His English was perfect and he seemed like a regular US kid. I got to talking to him, and found out that he had been an interpreter for the US military. He was 100% Afghan. And he had a death sentence on his head from the Taliban for helping the US military....which was why we paid to have him come here.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Oh, because congress never over steps it's bounds. This law has been around for 22 years, no one had a problem until the Muslims started screaming. The judge threw out the charges on 8 people, all Muslims, because the states should regulate this but, we can't let the states regulate other religious issues because of separation of church and state.

Go ahead, just keep letting these insane people gain power in this country and soon we will have no protections against their barbaric culture.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.