ChrisD: A rolling tide, a cresting wave: Bryant-Denny will never be the same

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The things we do for entertainment! We will bust a gut and gripe and gripe about a can of food going up a nickel and then pay$6.00 for a bottle of water at the stadium. Yes, I worked in a grocery store the first half of my life and you want to see some livid people -- take their entertainment money away for food and you have near riot on your hands.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
A couple of interesting observations
1) this is being done while Coach Saban is still here and they can lock in people to “donate” and are collecting while they can

2) I know of a few high rollers who may be saying “enough” ... but until they give up their prime seats, these gougings will continue

3) studies show that Millenials will pay for experiences and events before moving out of Momma’s basement. Are the PTB expecting this detrimental behavior continues and they will sacrifice in order to “experience” BDS and Coleman?

I tell all my students to multiply by 20 the cost of any bling that they are considering buying and that’s the retirement funds opportunity cost they could have in the bank 40 years from now when they retire. Those $5000 seats just became $100,000...per year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If at sometime in the future we are struggling thru a 6-6 season, we'll start to see BDS half empty at times.

The "regular" fan is getting pushed out.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If at sometime in the future we are struggling thru a 6-6 season, we'll start to see BDS half empty at times.

The "regular" fan is getting pushed out.
False.

The secondary market for tickets and the primary market for related expenses - such as tailgating and parking - will simply self-correct and the "regular" fan will be able to afford them, at least occasionally, once again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
False.

The secondary market for tickets and the primary market for related expenses - such as tailgating and parking - will simply self-correct and the "regular" fan will be able to afford them, at least occasionally, once again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You may be correct, but that might be true to the "old school, long devoted" Bama fan like me, but in 20 years how many of this generation will bleed Crimson?

Us older fans have gone thru the 80's watching Bama struggle, thru the late 90's and early 2000's probation and struggles and we were true enough to stay with the Tide.

But the current generation of fans don't ever remember Bama not being dominant. How will they handle the next 4-8 season???

Who knows?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
A couple of interesting observations
1) this is being done while Coach Saban is still here and they can lock in people to “donate” and are collecting while they can

2) I know of a few high rollers who may be saying “enough” ... but until they give up their prime seats, these gougings will continue

3) studies show that Millenials will pay for experiences and events before moving out of Momma’s basement. Are the PTB expecting this detrimental behavior continues and they will sacrifice in order to “experience” BDS and Coleman?

I tell all my students to multiply by 20 the cost of any bling that they are considering buying and that’s the retirement funds opportunity cost they could have in the bank 40 years from now when they retire. Those $5000 seats just became $100,000...per year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My wife and I were fortunate enough to attend the game on Saturday, and since we graduated 7-8 years ago, we're happy with the one-game-per-year plan. There's no way we could've afford TidePride and season tickets for multiple games, and certainly won't happen with the new donation requests. My father is facing the same choices as a USC season ticket holder; they're making a lot of changes to the Coliseum now that USC is in control of the property. He's not sure it'll be entirely worth the increase in costs as well.

It is what it is, but I'm sure the University will still have enough people to pay to keep the "business" running. They won't need me to help.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Oh no, another thread about ticket prices. Be careful, there are a few posters who swear you can see a game for $5 and will pounce all over this thread.

I agree with everything in that article and, I also think the redesigned student section looks ugly. Leaving those 2 little sections of upper deck on either side of this new terrace just looks weird to my eyes.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't disagree with the message, and it was worded very well, but nothing lasts forever. This has only happened because you have stayed at the top of the mountain for so long. You stayed long enough that the market just kept getting stronger and stronger. The demand has gone in one direction for premier Alabama games - up. So, you make money while you can. You invest in infrastructure while you can. This is the college football version of making hay while the sun is shining. Because the sun will eventually set on this dynasty. When that happens, you will have an infrastructure that will carry you through to the next great coach. And during the downturn in between, the regular folks will be able to afford tickets on the secondary market.

While we wait, there remain very affordable tickets to games against OOC teams. I attended the Ark State game this year and the experience was amazing. There were thousands of tickets available for that game on the secondary market for less than $50/each.

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018
Amen, and I concur on all points. The money grab continues in Tuscaloosa. My only question is what will the Flagship, the Capstone, do when the times aren't so good on the field? When the money doesn't come so easily? Will prices for parking, over cooked chicken tenders, and every piece of Nike memorabilia ever come back to earth?

Signed,
Well-off Alumni who doesn't feel so well-off.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
A sad but accurate view of how the university sees the average fan.
My post earlier is really lamenting that me, as an average fan, can't really afford Bama football anymore and it'll only get worse or so it seems.

And like the poster said above, I'm not poor either but this model is about making money and, right now, it's pricing the average guy like me out.

cmmiller711

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I don't disagree with the message, and it was worded very well, but nothing lasts forever. This has only happened because you have stayed at the top of the mountain for so long. You stayed long enough that the market just kept getting stronger and stronger. The demand has gone in one direction for premier Alabama games - up. So, you make money while you can. You invest in infrastructure while you can. This is the college football version of making hay while the sun is shining. Because the sun will eventually set on this dynasty. When that happens, you will have an infrastructure that will carry you through to the next great coach. And during the downturn in between, the regular folks will be able to afford tickets on the secondary market.

While we wait, there remain very affordable tickets to games against OOC teams. I attended the Ark State game this year and the experience was amazing. There were thousands of tickets available for that game on the secondary market for less than $50/each.
i went to that game and had lower bowl seats on the 30 for 23 dollars each. i know that this isnt good for the average tidepride member. I am however elated that theyre taking tickets away from the students. when i was in school we were in line at the gate 3 hours before kickoff and stayed the whole game to lose to ULM and win on the last play against hawaii. these kids dont deserve the tix if they arent gonna show up to most of the games.

Last edited:

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
In a weird sort of way I agree with all sides of this issue. As a capitalist, I'm all for whoever can make money doing so in whatever legal fashion they can devise. As an alum, I hate to see myself and others priced out of decent seats. As a business owner, I would gladly pay for a skybox (or other VIP section) if I had the funds. What else can you do in Alabama that would build as much social capital with your clients? As a pragmatist, no way I'm paying thousands of dollars for seats. As a realist, I understand they're getting while the getting is good.

The face value of the U4KK 16th row seats I sat in on Saturday ~20 rows from the top of the stadium was $105. That's amazing but I gladly paid it. Not so sure I would pay that plus a "sizable" donation plus thousands more in Tide Pride each year in the new configuration.

I also agree with those that understand economic principles and the reality of 10 years from now when maybe we're not winning 12-14 games every year and in the hunt for the CFP NC. In these situations, prices will come down - at least on secondary markets and the University will have to decide if it wants to reprice face value. Who knows what will happen?

In the meantime, prices are going up, people have to decide whether or not to lock in at those prices or be locked out and have to go to secondary markets which may or may not be better.

Kudos to Chris for tackling the subject.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.