Graph Showing How SEC QBs Have Done Against Alabama

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I agree, which is why I always gave him a pass. He needs to keep people from changing the channel. This is the first time that I thought that he went too far.

I felt much the same watching the OU/WVU game. Todd just kept praising the offenses of both teams with never a word said about the horrid defensive play in the game. I kept changing the channel because I couldn't take it. They were clearly told not to discuss the horrible defenses in that game. There is no other reasonable explanation.
Yep. They kept praising Murray and Grier for their offensive prowess. Never once mentioned the lack of defense. It was painful to watch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree, which is why I always gave him a pass. He needs to keep people from changing the channel. This is the first time that I thought that he went too far.

I felt much the same watching the OU/WVU game. Todd just kept praising the offenses of both teams with never a word said about the horrid defensive play in the game. I kept changing the channel because I couldn't take it. They were clearly told not to discuss the horrible defenses in that game. There is no other reasonable explanation.
i was almost ready to throw a chair through my tv this past saturday because of his continued non-sense. i usually just brush it off as him doing his job.

this past saturday, i was so freaking angry about the cheap shots they took early along with the blatant holding and interference that i was taking it out on gary ;)

i don't think i have been this angry during a game since the o.t. debacle vs tennessee during shula's tenure.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
i was almost ready to throw a chair through my tv this past saturday because of his continued non-sense. i usually just brush it off as him doing his job.

this past saturday, i was so freaking angry about the cheap shots they took early along with the blatant holding and interference that i was taking it out on gary ;)

i don't think i have been this angry during a game since the o.t. debacle vs tennessee during shula's tenure.

I was right there with you. I was watching with extended family and actually think I scared some of the children a little.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The officiating crew for the Iron Bowl wasn't the worst we've had in the last few years. I'm not assuming bias but it worked out that the stuff they missed benefited Auburn with indirect or direct responsibility for two-thirds of Auburn's points. They called some things that are more often missed than correctly called that hurt Alabama too. We could not lay an ill-placed hand on Stidham without a flag being thrown but in the very same game they missed an obvious facemask on Tagovailoa. There have been several times this year where our quarterback has been hit in the head while in the pocket and it was not called. Can't argue about the flag because they were correct but I'd love to have this sort of protection for our quarterback from the officials too. Especially since he's a difference maker and not Mauricio The Quarterback.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Don't know if it was because it was the Iron Bowl or what, but Gary got on my nerves more than normal Saturday. Usually, I can stand him (even defend him when I hear/read others dog him).

Saturday was bad, though.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Don't know if it was because it was the Iron Bowl or what, but Gary got on my nerves more than normal Saturday. Usually, I can stand him (even defend him when I hear/read others dog him).

Saturday was bad, though.
I have generally liked him through the years. He knows football. He should stick w/that and leave officiating to the officials. At most, state your opinion once and then move on.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
FYI: There is no rule that disallows calling offsetting pass interference penalties.

What Savion Smith was doing on that play is literally what any DB in America is doing up until they read that the DB is going for the ball. That is the mildest of "hand-fighting" I've ever seen to justify an outright discard of the the DB with a clear extension of the arm by the WR. It is particularly galling since around the Mizzou game we've seen many of our WRs repeatedly being grabbed from behind after they beat a defender on a cut yet it often goes uncalled. Practically a DB has to tackle one of our guys for it to be called DPI. Defensive holding apparently doesn't exist for our opponents.

I have no respect for opposing homers who think the officiating is in our pockets. They don't have the data. They're going off their bad feels.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The officiating crew for the Iron Bowl wasn't the worst we've had in the last few years. I'm not assuming bias but it worked out that the stuff they missed benefited Auburn with indirect or direct responsibility for two-thirds of Auburn's points. They called some things that are more often missed than correctly called that hurt Alabama too. We could not lay an ill-placed hand on Stidham without a flag being thrown but in the very same game they missed an obvious facemask on Tagovailoa. There have been several times this year where our quarterback has been hit in the head while in the pocket and it was not called. Can't argue about the flag because they were correct but I'd love to have this sort of protection for our quarterback from the officials too. Especially since he's a difference maker and not Mauricio The Quarterback.
I am glad we got the holding call on the Shivers long TD run in the 1st quarter though. That would have been big had it counted.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Georgia averages a solid 40.1 points per game. That's good for #13 in the nation. If you average their opponents scoring defense after you take out the Georgia games and then look at how much UGA exceeded those averages, you find UGA scored 15.3 points more than its opponents averaged in every other game.

Conversely, Alabama averages 49 points per game, which is second best in the nation. Take the averages of its opponents and compare to how Alabama did against those opponents and you find Alabama exceeded the opponents' average points allowed by 22.7 points.
It is funny you went to the trouble of doing it this way, since I just got done doing the same thing and getting the same results as you. I take it one step further and use those numbers to make my prediction. I am coming up with a rough score of 35-27 Alabama, which is probably what I will use when the prediction thread starts up. I would say those numbers make it close enough that the winner could go either way, but Alabama is favored by the numbers by just over a TD. As much as I would prefer we lay the wood to them and leave no doubt, I would still be happy with that result.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
NAMEYDS/GAMEYDS v BAMA
Jarrett Guarantano, QB15963
Nick Fitzgerald, QB135125
Jarrett Stidham, QB202127
Jordan Ta'amu, QB327133
Drew Lock, QB260142
Joe Burrow, QB208184
Kellen Mond, QB247196
Ty Storey, QB132230

I just put this together. Except for Storey, the other SEC QB's we played were below their average when they faced our D.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It is funny you went to the trouble of doing it this way, since I just got done doing the same thing and getting the same results as you. I take it one step further and use those numbers to make my prediction. I am coming up with a rough score of 35-27 Alabama, which is probably what I will use when the prediction thread starts up. I would say those numbers make it close enough that the winner could go either way, but Alabama is favored by the numbers by just over a TD. As much as I would prefer we lay the wood to them and leave no doubt, I would still be happy with that result.
Alabama is favored by 13 in Vegas.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
NAMEYDS/GAMEYDS v BAMA
Jarrett Guarantano, QB15963
Nick Fitzgerald, QB135125
Jarrett Stidham, QB202127
Jordan Ta'amu, QB327133
Drew Lock, QB260142
Joe Burrow, QB208184
Kellen Mond, QB247196
Ty Storey, QB132230

I just put this together. Except for Storey, the other SEC QB's we played were below their average when they faced our D.
Arkansas was shockingly good against us. That was not good at the time. Hopefully we've fixed some of those problems going into this weekend.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do you also look at the defense? Haven't done that yet, but I might later.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I have generally liked him through the years. He knows football. He should stick w/that and leave officiating to the officials. At most, state your opinion once and then move on.
He dwelled on targeting way too much even to the point of highlighting Josh Jacobs lowering his head after a run when oppsosing player challenged him, got on my nerves and I have a long fuse.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Fromm is a good QB though and he has some big time weapons at receiver as well as tight end. Should also be interesting to see how Justin Fields is utilized. I hope the Alabama offense starts off fast in the game unlike the last two weeks because Georgia is going to score and I have a feeling this may be a shoot out.
A shootout with Georgia? With Fromm at QB mostly? Nah.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.