Graph Showing How SEC QBs Have Done Against Alabama

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Do you also look at the defense? Haven't done that yet, but I might later.
Again for those unfamiliar, these averages are in games excluding UGA or UA:

UGA's defense holds opponents to 110.8 yards per game less than their average, 14.97 points per game less, and 1.2 yards per play less than their average.

UA's defense holds opponents to 138.4 yards per game less, 17.1 points per game less, and 1.7 yards per play less than their average.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Again for those unfamiliar, these averages are in games excluding UGA or UA:

UGA's defense holds opponents to 110.8 yards per game less than their average, 14.97 points per game less, and 1.2 yards per play less than their average.

UA's defense holds opponents to 138.4 yards per game less, 17.1 points per game less, and 1.7 yards per play less than their average.
Which would yield a score of Bama 34, UGA 23.

I think Bama can score more than that, though.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Alabama is favored by 13 in Vegas.
Yes. That is based on betting and trying to keep betting on both sides of the line equal. And, to be honest, sometimes doing it my way gets some pretty close results, while other times it is a complete whiff. It is just me being a geek and playing with numbers when I have too much time on my hands.

Do you also look at the defense? Haven't done that yet, but I might later.
I also have not yet reached that level of nerddom, lol. I just check out how they have scored and allowed scoring, then how they did versus each team relative to how that opponent does on average for the year. I don't really bother with this type thing when we are playing teams like La-Lafayette, or even a weaker SEC team. But Excel starts getting some work in around LSU time. I didn't really get too close this year in any of mine, but have hit some near bullseyes in past years. I think part of the issue is the fact that , with a couple of exceptions, Tua is going to score 50 no matter what defense he is playing.

Let me give some thought to how I would evaluate defense in a geek Excel model and see what I come up with.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
If I did my averages right, I came out with UA 37-26 with UA at 444 yards and UGA at 391.
Either way, I just don't think Bama scores less than 40 and I don't think UGA scores more than 24.

Heck, Bama scored 26 in hat amounts to one half of football against a better UGA D last year.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Either way, I just don't think Bama scores less than 40 and I don't think UGA scores more than 24.

Heck, Bama scored 26 in hat amounts to one half of football against a better UGA D last year.
Exactly and there's no question this Alabama offense is better than it was in January. QB is better, receivers are better, tight end is better, running backs are better and the line has had a big upgrade.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Exactly and there's no question this Alabama offense is better than it was in January. QB is better, receivers are better, tight end is better, running backs are better and the line has had a big upgrade.
I am concerned with UGA running the ball against us. I think they are better at that than any team we have played this year, and even though the stats may not bear it out, it does not feel like we are as strong against the run as we have been in the past, especially when our opponents are capable of keeping us a little honest with the passing game as well. Remember, Kirby's choice to go with Chubb later in the game is likely one of the things that hurt them when Michel, their faster option, was giving us fits all night. I think we win, but I think UGA shows well in this game (and if any SEC team goes on to play UCF, I want it to be these guys).

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Georgia averages a solid 40.1 points per game. That's good for #13 in the nation. If you average their opponents scoring defense after you take out the Georgia games and then look at how much UGA exceeded those averages, you find UGA scored 15.3 points more than its opponents averaged in every other game.

Conversely, Alabama averages 49 points per game, which is second best in the nation. Take the averages of its opponents and compare to how Alabama did against those opponents and you find Alabama exceeded the opponents' average points allowed by 22.7 points.

Know the old saying "don't bring a knife to a gun fight?" UGA wouldn't bring a knife to a shootout, but they wouldn't bring the same level of firearms as Alabama, either.

Edit:

I got too nerdy and did the full offensive breakdown.

Alabama's opponents:

Yards Per Game Average (excluding Alabama): 379.8 ypg
Alabama's Yards: 538
Difference: 158.2

Yards Per Play Average (excluding Alabama): 5.6
Alabama's Yards Per Play: 8.2
Difference: 2.6

Georgia's opponents:

Yards Per Game Average (excluding Georgia): 375.5 ypg
Georgia Yards: 480.8
Difference: 105.3

Yards Per Play Average (excluding Georgia): 5.4
Georgia's Yards Per Play: 7.5
Difference: 2.1
And to add to your excellent work I have done a common opponent comparison. We have had 4 common opponents as shown below. I am not huge on this stat but I do see a trend with how we both played these opponents and it is good for us.

UGA 43 Missouri 29 +14
Bama 39 Missouri 10 +29

UGA 38 Tenn 12 +26
Bama 58 Tenn 21 +37

UGA 17 LSU 37 -20
Bama 29 LSU 0 +29

UGA 27 Barn 10 +17
Bama 52 Barn 21 +31

Avg Margin of Victory: Bama: 33 UGA: 9.25

Off Avg Pts/Game: Bama: 44.5 UGA: 31.25

Def Avg Pts/Game: Bama: 13 UGA: 22

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
The one thing I'm worried about in this game is are our guys tired physically and mentally after a tough month of games ? Saban alluded to that on Monday. Hopefully we start and finish strong Saturday because Georgia will bring it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
He literally shoved him five yards down field! That was right in fronton us and we kept waiting for the flag, it was so obvious they couldn't NOT call it, right?

SMH

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1066468088781008896

I came out of my seat on that play, screaming "Where's the OPI flag?" The marker for OPI is the receiver touching the defender and then extending his arm. Slayton did exactly that. I could not believe that did not get called.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I came out of my seat on that play, screaming "Where's the OPI flag?" The marker for OPI is the receiver touching the defender and then extending his arm. Slayton did exactly that. I could not believe that did not get called.
Officiating has been abysmal this year. Hubert Owens is one of the worst officials in the conference. Tom Ritter was the worst though.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I agree, which is why I always gave him a pass. He needs to keep people from changing the channel. This is the first time that I thought that he went too far.

I felt much the same watching the OU/WVU game. Todd just kept praising the offenses of both teams with never a word said about the horrid defensive play in the game. I kept changing the channel because I couldn't take it. They were clearly told not to discuss the horrible defenses in that game. There is no other reasonable explanation.

I tried watching the OU-WVU game, but after watching receivers 10 yards open just stop and wait on the ball, I changed the channel. There was no defense on either side in that game. What would Tua's numbers be in the Big12?!?

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Honestly it was almost more like a horse collar foul. He pulled him from the back collar of Savion’s jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
127 of the 226 yards given up came on 2 plays. The 75 yards vs Ole Miss and the 52 yards against the barn. BTW, Defensing the long ball has always been a weak point on Kirby’s defenses as well. A problem At Alabama and at times a problem at Georgia. I know they were burned a lot last year and the few times I watched them this year they have given up big plays.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.