Do you see Justin Fields having a significant role in the SECCG?

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
He will play 5-7 plays and obviously nothing like the role Tua had last year.
So say Bama is up 13-0 or more at half-time like they were last year and Fromm is not generating any offense??? I would think Kirby would make a change at QB to see if Fields could do better. I am sure they will have him ready if Fromm struggles - just like Bama had Tua ready last year.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Depends on the scenario. They may have some wrinkles for him. The impact of those plays would determine how "significant" his role is. I think the scripted plan would only have him in the game for a couple of plays.

As someone else suggested if we are really putting it on them early then perhaps at the half they could go with Fields. But only if A: Smart feels like Fromm's execution is the reason why they are down. B: Smart feels like Fields execution in the current area of lacking is superior enough to insert him.

CNS was successful with the insertion of Tua because the defense was playing pretty well - our QB play was just not up to snuff.

If we are up, say 28-17 or 31-21 at the half, I doubt they pull Fromm or use Fields more.

I think his significance will be determined based on the success of the plays he has scripted for him in the 1st half. HOWEVER, it is worth noting that he likely has a nearly complete understanding of the playbook at this point in the season. His ability to fully master those plays and utilize them to their fullest potential remains to be seen but he likely knows all the plays and can run them at this point.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Depends on the scenario. They may have some wrinkles for him. The impact of those plays would determine how "significant" his role is. I think the scripted plan would only have him in the game for a couple of plays.

As someone else suggested if we are really putting it on them early then perhaps at the half they could go with Fields. But only if A: Smart feels like Fromm's execution is the reason why they are down. B: Smart feels like Fields execution in the current area of lacking is superior enough to insert him.

CNS was successful with the insertion of Tua because the defense was playing pretty well - our QB play was just not up to snuff.

If we are up, say 28-17 or 31-21 at the half, I doubt they pull Fromm or use Fields more.

I think his significance will be determined based on the success of the plays he has scripted for him in the 1st half. HOWEVER, it is worth noting that he likely has a nearly complete understanding of the playbook at this point in the season. His ability to fully master those plays and utilize them to their fullest potential remains to be seen but he likely knows all the plays and can run them at this point.
^^^ This ... we should gameplan for him no doubt but I'm thinking its going to go exactly as I.A has noted

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You have his tape from this year, and they are not going to ask him to do anything that he has not already demonstrated proficiency at in a game of this magnitude. So, no - no surprises. Whatever he does - Saban has planned for.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
UGA fans are in love with the backup but Fromm will likely be the right up there with Tagovailoa in 2020. The guy Fromm Pipp'd, Jacob Eason, could very will be the 3rd QB taken in that draft too. Loaded year for QBs. If you're an NFL franchise's GM and need a QB now tell your owner about the tank-for-two-years strategy.

As for the game, I think Fields will play. They've had some problems in the redzone this year and he may be just what the doctor ordered for gadget plays that leverage the numbers problems a QB runner creates. Fromm will go the distance as the primary QB barring a meltdown. He's a great quarterback. 2nd in the SEC in completion percentage. 4th in TD passes. 2nd in TD/INT ratio. 2nd in yards/attempt. He's done this with a relatively low number of attempts for a 12-game starter. His yardage total is low but he's hitting a high percentage of his passes and the averages show that he's not dink and dunking either. In my opinion, it is Fromm not Lock that is the 2nd best quarterback in the conference this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
They like to bring him in in short yardage/goal line scenarios.

He'd be most dangerous on a play that looked like he was running but designed to suck us into the LOS or flow one way and do a throwback pass the opposite way.

But, to answer the OP: I doubt he'll play a major role.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think he could play a significant role and hopefully our coaching staff is prepared. Fromm is definitely the better passer but he's a pocket passer, the kind our defense usually has success against. Fields on the other hand has good running ability, the kind we've had problems with in the past.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So say Bama is up 13-0 or more at half-time like they were last year and Fromm is not generating any offense??? I would think Kirby would make a change at QB to see if Fields could do better. I am sure they will have him ready if Fromm struggles - just like Bama had Tua ready last year.
Fromm is the better passer now and if they wanted to come back it would not be good to put Fields in IMO. He will be ready to run his package or if Fromm gets hurt.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
No. If he were going to emerge as a threat to Fromm's job it would have happened already. This isn't a Tua/Jalen situation where the obviously more talented guy is sitting behind a guy who is middling and has kept his job because the team keeps winning. Fromm is more experienced and better.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If Fields was better than Fromm... He would get more playing time.
Instead, Kirby is using Fields as a change of pace guy.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Change the names from Fields to Tua and Fromm to Hurts. Then change the date to 2017.
Why? There is no way to compare the two pairs. Fromm is a very good passer. Jalen was not last year. Jalen was a liability in the passing game so much so that defenses ignored half of the field and could shut down your offense, even with your receivers. So, you cannot compare the roles that the starters played. And Fields is not so good that he should push a more experienced QB out of the starting spot just because he can scramble. Fields is no better a passer than Fromm, and probably worse right now.

The Bryant/Lawrence at Clemson was like Jalen/Tua from last year, but not what is happening at Georgia.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think they will test the waters with him in the first half. Strategic snaps here and there. If the kid gets hot I wouldn't be surprised to see him get additional snaps and possibly series as the game wears on. Remember the QB who came in for Colt McCoy in the title game? It was obvious our staff wasn't expecting him to touch the field. The kid got a little confidence and made a game of it. I think if Saban prepares for Fields he will be a non-factor. I think if Saban roles the dice and doesn't prepare for him because he thinks Kirby doesn't have the rocks to put him in. I could see us getting burnt. The kid has amazing talent. But my guess is Saban learned from the Texas/Gilbert situation and won't make that mistake again. We'll prepare for Fields accordingly.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.