Jerry Palm says we are in no matter what

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...bate-begins-for-the-college-football-playoff/
Same guy that wrote the OP articles wrote this one. He thinks Florida and UCF will play each other in a bowl. I sure hope not because while I am confident that Alabama or UGA would blow them out, I do not have said confidence for Florida . Can you imagine UCF running their mouths of they beat an SEC team in a bowl game 2 years in a row.
UCF will do well to beat Memphis without Milton. Beat them by just one (31-30) during the regular season with him.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I get the discussion about whether or not Alabama will be in the playoffs with a close loss to UGA. But where is the idea of a blowout loss coming from? It's not just a hypothetical -- it's a bizarro world hypothetical. We've beaten every common opponent that they beat by more than they did and shut out the team that they lost to by 20 points. Our offense is better than last year's, as we have most of the same key players with an extra year of experience, while their offense--although very good--is no better at best than it was last year. Both defenses are off a little from last year, but Bama's D has come on very strong recently.

One of these teams may get blown out Saturday, but it ain't gonna be Alabama.
If I am not mistaken, the last time Alabama lost a game by at least 3 TDs, was 2000 vs. Mississippi State. We lost that one 29-7. We also lost to Southern Miss that year, 21-0. The last time we really got stomped was a 38-7 loss to Virginia Tech in the 1998 Music City Bowl.

Even Mike Shula never lost a game by more than 15 points.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Goeorgia, oklahoma, Ohio State, and Michigan are ahead of UCF for the 4 spot. Even if the 3 out of the 4 that are playing in games this Saturday lose, that still leaves michigan. Would UCF jump to number 4 because of their championship game if they win or would Michigan be in the final 4?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If I am not mistaken, the last time Alabama lost a game by at least 3 TDs, was 2000 vs. Mississippi State. We lost that one 29-7. We also lost to Southern Miss that year, 21-0. The last time we really got stomped was a 38-7 loss to Virginia Tech in the 1998 Music City Bowl.

We lost to LSU, 27-3, in 2003, Saban's LSU national title season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You're close, but we also lost to Arky and SCAR both by 17 in back to back weeks.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The fact that Oklahoma is #5 and not Ohio St gives me a little hope we get in even with a loss, but I don’t think Bama fans should feel real comfortable with losing because we are leaving our fate in the hands of the committee.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I’m thinking someone else is clueless.
Committee has stated the “quality” of a loss matters, and no other one loss team would have lost to a team as highly ranked as Georgia. Not even close.
There are many other reasons as stated above, but the Committee wants the best four teams, and they don’t have “Bama fatigue”. That’s for the fans of those teams that Bama beats the crap out of every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m thinking someone else is clueless.
Committee has stated the “quality” of a loss matters, and no other one loss team would have lost to a team as highly ranked as Georgia. Not even close.
There are many other reasons as stated above, but the Committee wants the best four teams, and they don’t have “Bama fatigue”. That’s for the fans of those teams that Bama beats the crap out of every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kirby Hoccutt also said “ Bama and Ohio St were extremely close” entering championship weekend last year.

Point is that they can say anything they like, but their main goal in these weekly CFP rankings shows is to keep people interested. If all they do is keep saying “ This team is definitely in if this, this, and this happens” they lose views. They use the tactic of controversy to keep folks interested.

Will Alabama be in with a loss? Maybe, probably, but I don’t want to find out because this isn’t an algorithm that is unbiased. This is a group of humans that can plug any team in those 4 spots they want.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
This issue is, what do you do with Georgia if they beat us?

Can't move them to 1 if we go down to 4 or there's a rematch.

If they move Clemson to 1 and we are 4 there's the semi game that many think will end up being the final game.

I hope Palm's right in the case of a loss against UGA, but I don't feel like having to find out what might happen.
1) Clemson
2) ND
3) Georgia
4) Alabama

^That HAS to be the standings assuming UGA beats us. They wont put UGA over an undefeated ND or Clemson.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I notice he didn't mention Notre Dumb in the top 4.
Again I mention that not being in a conference, leaves them out of a Playoff Game. I'm gonna grin if they miss the playoffs, because they think they are better than to play in a conference.

Yep... I've never been a ND fan.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I really want BAMA to play Notre Dame in the semi finals. I think that is the easiest path to the championship game. I don't think Notre Dame should be in there, even though I know they pretty much have to be since undefeated and played a decent schedule. Didn't the committee have a team (TCU?) ranked in top 4 a few years ago in the week similar to this, and then in the final week they were somehow not in the top 4?

Bama needs to win Saturday. I don't want to have extra stress for another day waiting on the committee. :) UGA will be a tough game. I hope the team and coaches are ready. Hopefully the stadium will be at least 40 percent BAMA fans.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Win or lose, it is my belief they deserve to be in. I don't know how you could consistently rank them as you clear #1 then turn around and say they are not even one of the best 4 after one loss to a team you had at 4.

That said, Bama fatigue is real. Many fans of other teams, in fact almost all, view us as public enemy #1. Since their own team probably can't do it, they would love nothing more than to see someone else take us out. I dare say, seeing us fail would make many of them happier than seeing their own team succeed. And if there is anyone on the committee with this type of feeling, we do not need to leave them anything to consider. Beat UGA, then go do your business in the playoffs. Do not give them any room to consider another option.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.