CNS and His Use of Time Outs

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
CNS said he noticed that Auburn was lined up for the lateral and throw back that went for the TD. Why didn't he call a timeout to stop the play?

He seems to hold on to timeouts for no apparent reason even when we have 3 to burn.

THIS IS NOT A BASH CNS THREAD (y'all know me better than that) but just a legitimate question I've wondered about for years.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Perhaps the better question might be did the rest of the coaching staff see and recognize it. Maybe CNS leaves the decision to take a TO or not on them.

Sort of like a "teaching moment", if you will. :biggrin2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he saw it and recognized it, that means they covered it. He trusted his players to recognize it. They didn't. Teaching moment.

As for the other time outs not called - he is the GOAT. Who the heck am I to tell him that he could use his time outs more wisely? But if I were a reporter, I would probably ask him if there was a reason for his judicious use of time outs (especially in the first half of games).

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
THIS IS NOT A BASH CNS THREAD
We should fire him and get Dabo before the barn does!!!

Same thing crossed my mind. Maybe he notice too late, or he thought the D play called would have stopped it, or he thought the D recognized it too and would adjust as necessary. If he had time to call timeout, it sure seems the prudent thing would have been to stop play. JMO

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If he saw it and recognized it, that means they covered it. He trusted his players to recognize it. They didn't. Teaching moment.

As for the other time outs not called - he is the GOAT. Who the heck am I to tell him that he could use his time outs more wisely? But if I were a reporter, I would probably ask him if there was a reason for his judicious use of time outs (especially in the first half of games).
Everybody knows he the GOAT, but he's had a history of holding to timeouts like they are Little Debbie cakes. :wink:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Everybody knows he the GOAT, but he's had a history of holding to timeouts like they are Little Debbie cakes. :wink:
That's a very good analogy because, just like Little Debbie cakes, if you hold onto them too long they become useless.

And, while he may very well be the greatest college football coach of all time, he certainly isn't infallible; otherwise, we'd have never lost a game.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Have we had a loss under CNS where bad timeout calling cost us the game? If not, why make something out of nothing?

Because outside of the kicking game there is nothing to critique. If we could just kick FG's and PAT's, use our timeouts wisely we would be flawless.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Have we had a loss under CNS where bad timeout calling cost us the game? If not, why make something out of nothing?
First, that's an impossible question to answer without the benefit of the Time Stone and Dr. Strange to wield it.

However, there have been several instances where we ate timeouts going into the half instead of playing it aggressively on offense and putting up points before the half which could have eventually cost us the game. Of course, it may not have. And playing aggressive instead might have bitten us in the butt with a turnover and points for the other team going into the half.

You can't play the what if game with any certainty without knowing for certain the alternative outcomes.

It just seems very often like there are times where Coach Saban could utilize his timeouts, especially in the first half, more effectively.

And don't get me started on having a third-team quarterback who seems to only have been taught how to hand off the ball...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Ray Perkins used to drive me ballistic doing the same thing at the end of the first half. That's all I'm going to say about that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Everyone use timeouts in different ways for different reasons.

Every moment in the game is a teaching moments, so I have no issue with that.
I disagree. You can teach a lesson and still call the TO. That TD allowed them to get within 3. What if they cover the fumble at the biginning of the second half and push it in for a score and take the lead. What if Tua, uncharacteristically, threw a pic 6 the next posession and we're suddenly down 11....I could go all and, sure it's hypothetical, but IMO if CNS could have gotten the TO called to warn the defense about the AU trick play he should have called it and they probably don't score a TD there and probably at worse get 3 points.

As already stated...he's the GOAT...but he must have gotten beaten up by a coach in his youth that called lots of TOs. ;)

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
CNS is as aware of what is going on and what needs to happen and what will happen in a game as anyone I've ever seen. He's very good at using them when he thinks they are needed and has called TOs in the first half when he felt it was appropriate. And the skill with which he uses them when he does, tells me he knows exactly what he is doing. At the end of a half he is often, not always, content with the status quo because it is to his advantage since his team is usually leading and has control of the game. It may be that he does not want some flukey end-of-half scenario when everything is hurried and unusual to cost his superior team a score. Most defenses, including Alabama's, are more vulnerable to hurry-up offenses. IMO, if he felt threatened or overmatched he would be looking for any opportunity to add to his score. In fact, in that rare scenario he is as daring and aggressive as anyone.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
CNS said he noticed that Auburn was lined up for the lateral and throw back that went for the TD. Why didn't he call a timeout to stop the play?

He seems to hold on to timeouts for no apparent reason even when we have 3 to burn.

THIS IS NOT A BASH CNS THREAD (y'all know me better than that) but just a legitimate question I've wondered about for years.
Probably didn't call it because no coverage should allow a player to be wide open. it was a defensive breakdown, not a defensive call that was at fault.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.