UCF's McKenzie Milton has nerve damage, faces reconstructive surgery

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...mckenzie-milton-blood-flow-restored-right-leg

Praying for him. I see he needs a knee reconstruction surgery and I wasn't sure what that meant, so I looked it up.

http://www.coastalorthopaedics.com.au/knee-reconstruction-coastal-orthopaedics.html

The goal of ACL reconstruction surgery is to tighten your knee and to restore its stability.
Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction patellar tendon is a surgical procedure to replace the torn ACL with part of the patellar tendon taken from the patient’s leg. The new ACL is harvested from the patellar tendon that connects the bottom of the kneecap (patella) to the top of the shinbone (tibia). The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia. Your surgeon will make two small cuts about ¼ inch around your knee. An arthroscope, a tube with a small video camera on the end is inserted through one incision to see the inside of the knee joint. Along with the arthroscope, a sterile solution is pumped into the knee to expand it providing the surgeon a clear view of the inside of the joint. The torn ACL will be removed and the pathway for the new ACL is prepared. Your surgeon makes an incision over the patellar tendon and takes out the middle third of the patellar tendon, along with small plugs of bone where it is attached on each end. The remaining portions of the patellar tendon on either side of the graft are sutured back after its removal. Then the incision is closed. The arthroscope is reinserted into the knee joint through one of the small incisions. Small holes are drilled into the upper and lower leg bones where these bones come together at the knee joint. The holes form tunnels in your bone to accept the new graft. Then the graft is pulled through the predrilled holes in the tibia and femur. The new tendon is then fixed into the bone with screws to hold it into place while the ligament heals into the bone. The incisions are then closed with sutures and a dressing is placed.

Post-operative care

Following the surgery rehabilitation begins immediately. A physical therapist will teach you specific exercises to strengthen your leg and restore knee movement. Avoid competitive sports for 5 to 6 months to allow the new graft to incorporate into the knee joint.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Very sad, never take what you have for granted. This whole episode reminds my of Prothro. I hope whatever path this takes McKenzie on, he makes the most of the journey.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Terrible blow. I don't know if he had NFL aspirations or not, but either way, this is devastating.

NWGATideFan

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 17, 2006
It depends how bad the damage is. We just have to wait and see how his rehab goes, but yeah it doesn't look good for him.
Definitely will have to wait and see.
The U of Miami RB Willis McGahee tore 3 tendons: the PCL, the ACL and the MCL.
He required multiple surgeries, extensive rehab, and missed his NFL rookie year.
After that, he continued to play.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I feel bad for him. Hopefully he can recover and continue to play. At worst I hope he can walk and run without pain even if he can't play again...

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Definitely will have to wait and see.
The U of Miami RB Willis McGahee tore 3 tendons: the PCL, the ACL and the MCL.
He required multiple surgeries, extensive rehab, and missed his NFL rookie year.
After that, he continued to play.
I don't think McGahee had nerve damage though. That's a HUGE factor in this case.

It depends how bad the damage is. We just have to wait and see how his rehab goes, but yeah it doesn't look good for him.
There's a higher chance he doesn't come back compared to actually coming back and playing again. This wasn't a simple surgery, like a few others said I'm surprised he actually kept the leg below the knee. Sad all the way around.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As much grief as I’ve given UCF, no one wanted to see it end like this.
That was my thought as well. I don't like their fans or AD for all the trouble they seem to try to stir up, but this is a kid here, and you never want to see any of them hurt. I wish McKenzie the best in his recovery and hope that he manages to reach his goals in life (unless one of his goals is to see UCF win a NC :D), and that this only makes him stronger.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.