New narrative being pushed. Should a team only be evaluated for the CFP based on what

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Re: New narrative being push. Should a team only be evaluated for the CFP based on w

This stat is where the rubber meets the road as it considers both the O and the D.

Soring Margin:

Alabama...…... +35.25
Clemson...…... +31.67
Georgia...…….. +22.92
Ohio St...…….. +17.50
Oklahoma...... +17.50
Notre Dame ….+16.50

Clearly neither Ohio St or Oklahoma have a leg up on one another.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: New narrative being push. Should a team only be evaluated for the CFP based on w

OK was lucky to get two defensive TDs against West Virginia. They don't have those, they lose that game. They may as well had other losses too (see Army). I wonder how much the committee takes that into consideration.
To be fair, Maryland had Ohio State beat but their QB missed a wide open WR on the 2 point try. Neither of these teams are close to perfect but thats why they are up for the 4 spot not #1.

That said, Ohio State vs Michigan suddenly looked like a much better team than any that had showed up so far this year. Unfortunately for them it could be too little too late depending on what happens this weekend.

To be fair, Maryland had Ohio State beat but their QB missed a wide open WR on the 2 point try. Neither of these teams are close to perfect but thats why they are up for the 4 spot not #1.

That said, Ohio State vs Michigan suddenly looked like a much better team than any that had showed up so far this year. Unfortunately for them it could be too little too late depending on what happens this weekend.
Oh no doubt. Neither deserve that spot, but it has to go to someone. That’s the sad part. And people want to expand the playoff!? They are out of their rabid minds.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Even though IMO, good OSU would beat good OU, their wild and continual inconsistency and 29 pt loss to 6-6 Purdue has to be penalized. If not, then it means you can slop around all year then turn it on at the end which negates the "every game matters" mantra. If it was a matter of OSU maturing and developing over the year that would be one thing but I've felt they've been the only program whose talent matched Alabama's and they just did not come close to maximizing it. Or if it was that they had a bad game or two but it's been most games from beginning to almost the end. Frankly this has been OSU's MO to some degree since at least 2015 which was maybe the most talented team in the CFP era. (An irony is that Meyer gets his teams at UF and OSU ready for "almost meaningless" major bowl games far better than the "don't look at the score or opponent" Saban does. See Utah 08 and OU 13 - though to be fair Bama was coming off dramatically disheartening losses. Meyer is 3-1 in such games.)

I hope and do not believe the Committee will consider Meyer's/OSU's sleazy preseason off field behavior as a few have suggested. IMO, that should be off the table.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

OK was lucky to get two defensive TDs against West Virginia. They don't have those, they lose that game. They may as well had other losses too (see Army). I wonder how much the committee takes that into consideration.
Not much. Those games have been counted in the past weeks poll, and they still have OU ahead of tOSU, so I think OU is in if they beat texas (#14) no matter what tOSU does against Northwestern (#24).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Not much. Those games have been counted in the past weeks poll, and they still have OU ahead of tOSU, so I think OU is in if they beat texas (#14) no matter what tOSU does against Northwestern (#24).
Probably, but a very narrow win that reminds them of the horrid OU defense followed by a dominant blow-out win by OSU and they could reconsider. We jumped two Big 12 teams in 2014 because of the win over Wisconsin.

cubzwin

Suspended
Jan 30, 2018

I think the closeness of the Maryland game hurts Ohio State. The loss to Purdue is obviously the biggest negative but the narrow victories over less than stellar opponents suggest that the Purdue loss is not a fluke. Ohio State, this year, is capable of losing to almost any opponent. Unfortunately, shellacking a barely above mediocre Northwestern team (that has losses to Duke and Akron and only beat Illinois by 8 points) is not going to upgrade tOSU's resume very much.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN

on the CFP program they also talked about OU having the best offense in the country but I think they have only scored 16 points more than Bama and KM has played deep into the 4th quarter in most of their games. Bama usually has the 2nd or 3rd team in by the middle of the 3rd. I would take our O over anyone's including OU.

I would rather play OU than OSU because OSU has a higher ceiling but a lower floor.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

on the CFP program they also talked about OU having the best offense in the country but I think they have only scored 16 points more than Bama and KM has played deep into the 4th quarter in most of their games. Bama usually has the 2nd or 3rd team in by the middle of the 3rd. I would take our O over anyone's including OU.

I would rather play OU than OSU because OSU has a higher ceiling but a lower floor.
Pretty sure most or all of the advance stats have their offense rated higher. Now, they haven't faced SEC defenses but their offense is very very good. Just look what they did last year vs Georgia.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN

My point is that if we had a crappy D and played to score for 4 qtrs, I believe our stats would be well above theirs. Tua has thrown 2 passes in the 4th qtr. Often Jalen is out and Jones is killing the clock. I think OU has a good O but I think Bama has a better one even if not statistically.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

I think Ohio St is more deserving than Oklahoma for a few reasons:

1) everytime Oklahoma has been put in a championship position since 2001 they have pooped the bed. Ohio State and Urban combined has 4 NCs

2) going to Happy Valley at night during a White our and Skunking Michigan is a lot more impressive than having track meets with Big XII teams.

3)Ohio St is far and away a bigger challenge to Bama and Clemson.
The past won’t have any effect on the committee‘s decision.

You mean Penn State, but point taken, that was a good win.

I disagree. OU is a scarier opponent IMO.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

OU would be an uncomfortable score, but an inevitable end result. I think TOSU would have a second life if they get in and actually give us a legitimate fight.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Not sure that I agree. OU is primarily a running team and we have shown susceptibility to that all year, especially against the barn. I’d feel much more comfortable going against the buckeyes than the Sooners. That and OU just seems to have our number. We have not beaten Oklahoma since JFK was president.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

The past won’t have any effect on the committee‘s decision.

You mean Penn State, but point taken, that was a good win.

I know I’m in a minority, but I agree.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA

STAT OF THE DAY courtesy of Dan Patrick

7 of 10 (70%) of BIG 12 teams are ranked 65th or worse in total defense . Makes it easy for Oklahoma’s offense to shine in such a poor efensive conference.
10 of 14 (71%) of ACC teams are ranked 65th or worse in total defense. Clemson doesn’t get dinged for putting up 50 a game on such poor defenses the way OU does.

BTW, SEC has 4 of 14 (28%) USCe, Vandy, OleMiss and ARKY

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

STAT OF THE DAY courtesy of Dan Patrick

7 of 10 (70%) of BIG 12 teams are ranked 65th or worse in total defense . Makes it easy for Oklahoma’s offense to shine in such a poor efensive conference.
10 of 14 (71%) of ACC teams are ranked 65th or worse in total defense. Clemson doesn’t get dinged for putting up 50 a game on such poor defenses the way OU does.

BTW, SEC has 4 of 14 (28%) USCe, Vandy, OleMiss and ARKY
7 of Clemson’s 12 opponents are ranked 98 or higher in total passing yards allowed. And Clemson has only played 4 decent passing teams. They stuffed NCSU, but Syracuse, TAM, & USC were able to move the ball thru the air...they have issues in the secondary.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Not sure that I agree. OU is primarily a running team and we have shown susceptibility to that all year, especially against the barn. I’d feel much more comfortable going against the buckeyes than the Sooners. That and OU just seems to have our number. We have not beaten Oklahoma since JFK was president.
OH, please. Bama played top OU teams off their feet under CDF and CMS. Then played hair-on-fire OU in 2013 after having their guts ripped out the previous game. It was the only non championship game Bama has played since 2010. Even then Bama was driving for the tying score with 1 minute left and AJ was strip sacked. Bama outgained OU by ~ 100 yards. People act like OU drug them up and down the field. In summary, those games mean nothing.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006

I'm in the minority because I think OSU at least tries to play defense at times where the Big 12 shows no interest at all. I think OSU has better wins than Oklahoma, as well as a worse loss, Haskins would hang 80 on the Loyola Marymount of the gridiron.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala

I think UCF should get the 4th spot against us. After all they are defending National Champions

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.