Am I drinking too much Bama Kool-Aid?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm sorry but this is just laughable. Smith was the first one of the three receivers to earn significant playing time as a true freshman. He's not back to 100%, yet, but when he is he's definitely got first-round talent.
Depends on when he comes out. He would be the third WR from Alabama taken if he comes out next year, and then you have to look at other WRs in the draft. If he plays his senior year, I agree.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
WR: Henry Ruggs (medium)
WR: Devonta Smith (low to medium)
LG: Deonte Brown (low)
RT: Jedrick Wills (low to medium)
DE: Isaiah Buggs (low)
LB: Mack Wilson (high)
CB: Saivion Smith (high)

The WRs will be 1st round pick.
Deonte Brown, if he continutes he will be 2-3rd round pick.
Mack Wilson, no matter how hard we were on him and wants him to come back, he's a top 20 pick. Doubt he will be back.
Buggs is not going to be available past 2nd round.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Depends on when he comes out. He would be the third WR from Alabama taken if he comes out next year, and then you have to look at other WRs in the draft. If he plays his senior year, I agree.
I gotta imagine that 1 or 2 of those guys will stay for their senior year. My dream is that Ruggs and Smith both stay so we can have them and Waddle for one more year. But, I guess then you'd have the same issue with 3 Bama WRs coming out.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Please...

There's a reason very few guys start in the secondary during their first year in Saban's system. The fact that both our starting corners are in their first year and not a downright liability is a testament to their physical abilities. Granted, Surtain has picked things up a bit faster but neither should be considered liabilities and both should be even better next year. Come his draft time, you just might be surprised when Smith lands...
He wasn't saying Savion was a liability - he was saying he was our weakest link on defense - which is true. Weakest link doesn't mean bad when the entire defense is full of sterling players. But he makes the most mental errors in the secondary. Not a lot. But more than others.

I think he could go late 2nd, and if he comes back and reduces mental errors then maybe upwards of that. But he is the defender most often caught out of phase or out of position. Not often - but more than others.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I thought Wills was absolutely a 1st round talent - but I'm a poor judge of line play.
Not so sure about Miller and Jennings. They are good but they don't attack the QB as well as a lot of other OLB's. Remember Tim Williams and how unstoppable he and Ryan Anderson were in 2016? Both of them took a tumble.

If Mack Wilson continues to develop then he can get there. Not so sure about it right now.

Not so sure about Savion Smith either. He makes the most mental errors at DB. He's not bad, but he gets picked on the most. Then again, Marlon Humphrey got burned a lot while here and went in the 1st I believe. He's got all the prime DB physical traits.
Jennings has looked great since the LSU game. he is a beast of the edge and a very instinctive player . 2x he has batted down balls at the LOS in the last 2 games. he has a knack for TFL and QB hurries/ sacks.
He has 38 tackles, 4.5 QB sacks, 6 pass break ups, 1 INT for the season.

Miller is right now playing the best ball in his Bama career.
31 tackles, 7 QB sacks, 1 pass break up.

I couldn't find the stats for QB hurries, but all you have to do is watch the films of Jennings and Miller chasing down QBs throughout the season to see how much they affect the QB.

editder

All-SEC
Nov 2, 2017
Please...

There's a reason very few guys start in the secondary during their first year in Saban's system. The fact that both our starting corners are in their first year and not a downright liability is a testament to their physical abilities. Granted, Surtain has picked things up a bit faster but neither should be considered liabilities and both should be even better next year. Come his draft time, you just might be surprised when Smith lands...
We've had a history of players growing up in the secondary from one year to the next and turning into solid players. Cyrus Jones used to get burned to a crisp. So did Kareem Jackson for that matter.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Diggs has showed enough that he improved a lot. I don't think he will leave this year, but if he does.. he probably will be gone between late 1st to early 3rd round. His broken foot shouldn't affect his draft status.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
My 2 favorite players on this years defense , Afernee Jennings because of the horrific knee injury last year . I think he will be about a third round pick, but have a solid NFL career barring injury. I still think he hasn’t recovered fully. Isaiah Buggs because of the interview I heard over the summer on Serius radio when he said about his recruitment ‘ you can got to other schools and have an fun college experience or be serious about playing football and go to Alabama’ I think you have Buggs low, where I can see him easily sliding into the second round, he is third in 5he league in sacks, and easily could of maintained his 2nd spot if not for the injury against Auburn. He would of went off against stidham in the second half!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.